I am done with Armour, say a growing body of individuals

donewitharmourThis page was originally written in 2009, and can be read for historical value as to what happened. But once again, Armour appears to have once again changed in 2015, which you can read about here

*********

Once again, I just approved one more comment of someone who has had it with Armour, and is switching.   On the new Armour, she states she has a return of her former hypo symptoms: hair loss, joint pain, fatigue, heart palpitations, low body temps are back, etc.

And you see it happening all over thyroid patient groups on the net.  Many folks are done with Armour.

It’s too chalky. It tastes terrible.  It doesn’t break into smaller pieces well anymore.  It’s lost the ability to be done sublingually. And even worse, it has caused a return of symptoms.

In case you are wondering what this is all about, read the 40 current comments attached to the June 2nd post Trying the Newly Formulated Armour? Before that, you can read my May 7th post Why the party is over with Forest Pharmaceuticals and the current 37 comments.  And especially powerful is the April 28th post Patients say PHOOEY to new Armour formulation and Forest Pharmaceuticals with a current 57 posts.

So what’s their next step?

Right now, doctors of patients on Armour on being asked for a prescription for Naturethroid. Many report it working wonderfully; some state they need a little more to be as optimal as Armour. A small minority aren’t sure about it yet. But overall, the majority are happy.

So let’s get an update of those who have switched: what product did you move to? Is the same amount giving you the same results? Did you have to more to a slightlyl higher amount, or lower amount? Was your pharmacy cooperative for a different brand?  Did you have to explain to your pharmacy that Naturethroid can be drop-shipped directly to them?

P.S. Thyroid patient Cheryl emailed me and said she is sending the above posts about Armour’s problems to practically everyone on her email list, hoping they in turn will send it to their friends, and the word will get out.  If you want to do the same, this post is the most updated, and includes the links to the former posts.

*Want to be informed of my blog posts? Curious what’s on my mind? Use the Notifications below.

105 Responses to “I am done with Armour, say a growing body of individuals”

1. Tiffany

I was put on Armour in 1979, 10 days after i was born. Had no problems with it, but due to a doctor’s insistence was switched in 1994 to Synthroid. immediately had problems, and tried Levoxyl and Cytomel for a few years as well, before going back to Armour. said i would stay on Armour for the rest of my life. well, today i started Naturethroid. Last month I got a refill and it was new Armour and had symptoms within 2 weeks. thank God i have a good doctor, when i went in last week he already knew about the re-formulation and recommended Naturethroid as an alternative. I am very nervous but hopeful that Naturethroid will work for me. I am very disappointed in Forest Lab. and plan to send them a letter letting them know of my switch. changing it after 30 years is ridiculous and they deserve to lose me to another medicine.

2. Ada

Reading everyones stories has been very helpful but I’m afraid I’m even more confused now :/…so I’m just gonna tell some of my tale and maybe it’ll get some feed back. I’m 28 and have been “ill” for over a year now. Prior to some diagnosis I was in perfect health, livin and lovin life, couldn’t have been happer, looked great, felt great etc. It all started with the itchy swollen eyes and lids. Like allergies. Then it snowballed from there. Oi! it’s been awful!. Digestive troubles which led me to believe I contracted a parasite and Candida. Started months of cleansing type stuff. Then the hairloss, brain fog, memory problems, skin problems, cold cold cold (it was winter). Got blood work done and all my hormones across the board were low. No real weight changes then or major fatigue but now that’s changed. I was then advised to start pregnenelone, progesterone cream, vit d, Candida diet, and armour thyroid 1/2 a pill. This was in april. Took only the armour and felt a little better. So I took it for a month n stopped. To make this long tale short, I started to have extreme fatigue and hairloss so I started armour again and I SWEAR that my fatigue, weakness, bloating, and the worse thing the weight gain (literally fat, cellulite gain) has gotten so much worse on this medication!!…I eat extremely well and excersise often. I’ve never been this fat or tired in my life..at 28?..it doesn’t make sense if I’m hypothyroid and on armour and getting worse?.!. I also take a adrenal glandular to support theadrenals. I’m so sad and confused. Do I ask to try thus naturethyroid?…(First read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info, the read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make because you are on there, then join a patient group for further discussion: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

3. Lisa

If you can stand to take the new Armour sublingually, is it still as effective? Thanks, Lisa

4. Vicki

I was just diaginosed with Hashimotos Friday. My TSH was 1.24 in February and the last two months has been 84-86 (yes, that high) My peroxidase test was over 1000, so the doctor says that indicates Hashi’s. My kidney function has also been off. I am normally very healthy but there is a family history of thyroid cancer in my family. My thyroid has been fluctuating for at least 20 years, was not treated, now I have a disease. I have gone through terrible stressors in my life the last 10 years, in part which includes a suicide in the family, the loss of my Mom and a divorce. I asked the doc to check my adrenals and she said they were “normal” but I have not actually seen the test results. I am losing faith in modern medicine and I am very frustrated with all the discrepancies of how to treat this disease and now the meds themselves.

5. chris

I have had two good experiences with thyroid products in my life. The first was in 2002 when Dr. Jorge Flechas gave me compounded T3 – after a few days my mind was so clear I could not believe it. I also felt some remorse in realizing that that was how I was supposed to feel – but never did. I got some weird reaction from the DHEA – and doc told me to stop everything. And for many reason I didn’t speak to him – mostly being busy at work and he’s 6oo miles away. This March I started on Armor- and on only 1/4 grain I got the same feeling- I was amazed- but then it faded. I’ve never gotten it again. But those great experiences are what keep me going- because I now know what I can feel like. I just don’t understand why the feeling left. On the recent Armor I have felt nothing good – my Tsh was at 4 but is now 3.10, my free T3 is 298 and reverse t3 is 20. i live in NYC if you know a good doc. (From Janie: you need to read this http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make)

6. Jill T

I really appreciate this website!

I started feeling bad on Armour but since I didn’t know about the re-formulation I didn’t suspect it. My heart rate was through the roof plus other symptoms. I thought maybe I needed to reduce again as when I lose weight that often happens and I recently lost weight because I am on more of a raw food diet now. I was feeling the best ever a few weeks ago. I called the Drs office and while waiting for a return call I returned to this site and found the reason for my problems. Thank you so much!

Thanks to my wonderfully supportive Dr and staff my pharmacy has Naturethroid on order. The only thing I wonder about is she prescribed 16.25mg’s – 6/day and I was on 120mg of Armour. I had told her that I dropped to 90mg just that day hoping my heart rate would drop as it seemed dangerously high. I can try more per day but the more pills I take for more filler I take. I guess once I get stable on Naturethroid I can then ask for a different prescription. She did it this way so I can be flexible with the dose until I find the amount that works.

7. joan compton

Thanks for a wonderful website. I noticed the difference in the Armour after the last refill; the consistency and the taste. I feel like I am going downhill again. Always tired. But I’m not sure if I need more thyroid support or if it will take longer for the adrenal supplement to kick in. It is eye-opening to read about the formula change.I will talk to my Dr. about this.I am on Adaptacin, which has 300mg of bovine adrenal cortex, which seems like a lot. Anyone else taking that?

8. Bethlee

I am so grateful to find this site! I am also so confused! I was told my thyroid was on the low side so I was put on synthroid. I felt awful immediately. The doctors put me on then took me off. Then I lost all my hair. I bounced from dr to dr . I found out I had low ferratin, severe osteoporosis, low wbc, and I started having severe pain in my right side. Long story short they found bleeding ulcers, no measurable amount of B-6, empty sella, antibody to paretial cell and told me I had pernicious anemia. Once I started b-12 shots I felt better and my mind came back. I also went on Armour thyroid. Only I can’t take more than a tiny bit of it as immediately I get headaches, and my heart races to 100 resting. Cortisol is normal, T-4 is .7, t-3 is 2.8, tsh is 4.97. Can anyone tell me why I get sick when I try taking thyroid meds? I just got the doc to order Canadian thyroid but I’m afraid to take it . My heart will race and the headache is unbearable. But so is the aching joints, the itching, the no sleep, the constipation, the weight loss, the hair loss. If anyone can help me I’d appreciate it! Thanks so much!I am at the end of my rope, I feel so awful.

(From Janie: Read this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info because I doubt your cortisol is “normal”. You are experiencing classic symptoms of adrenal stress, whether too high or some getting too low. Then use this page to get feedback from patients: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

9. jodi

I am at a loss. I had my thyroid taken out in January of this year, ’09 due to thyroid cancer. I was put on Levothyroxine, but have felt horrible, with all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I was also diagnosed with Hashimotos disease. My endo. wouldn’t put my on Armour, so i went and found a doctor who would put me on the Armour. Well, I went to the pharmacy to get it, and of course like so many others are finding out, it is on back order. I am also worried about the reformulation that everybody is talking about. Is it even going to work for me. I don’t know what to do now. Should I just stay on the levothyroxine and add a T3 medication, or go ahead and take the Armour in which I have to cut one of my 60 pills in half to get my 90 that I was perscribed, which is hard to do because the pills just turn to dust. I need help. Thanks to anyone who has any answeres for me.

I just want to cry, I want to feel like myself again. I am also sure my husband and 5 kids would like the mood swings to go away.

From Janie: go to Naturethroid. Read blog posts below. Then join a patient group for support: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others

10. joan compton

My doc says his patients are still having success with the reformulated Armour, but it is important to take it 60 min. before eating, as opposed to the 30 min. that I was waiting. This info might be helpful to some. I was on 150mg of the Armour for a couple of years with no problem. Then my adrenals began to be fatigued though I didn’t know it at the time. That created a whole bunch of problems because my body could no longer handle the thyroid. I became hyperthyriod, had great anxiety, high blood pressure and pulse, shaking, couldn’t eat though I was hungry all the time, couldn’t sleep. Took awhile to realize that it was the weakened adrenals causing this.

11. joan compton

PS for Jodi – You can get 30mg tabs. and 15mg tabs. So you won’t have to cut them. I know this stuff is really hard to deal with. Sometimes I think I will never recover all of my energy, but I count every little bit of progress.

12. joan compton

To Bethlee – Are you sure your cortisol is normal? Have you done the saliva test? A regular blood test or 24 hr. urine test won’t give you the correct result. J

13. Bethlee

First of all THANK YOU for the cotisol tip. I had cortisone at home and tried 10 mg’s and it helped me immensely. And I tried my Armour under my tongue which helped with getting such severe headaches. My problem is I can’t take very much of it or I get immense headaches, fast heartbeat, tremors and much more. I went to the doctor today 8-20-09… and got him to switch to Nature-throid and went to the pharmacy and was told ALL natural thyroid is backordered and no pharmacy had any. So checking the web RCL labs says maybe Nov. What do we do till Nov?? I am going to try Cananda next.
    It is soooo hard to feel like crap and have tremors, plus these headaches plus trying to find a dr who thinks you don’t need a cortisol level or natural hormones. I have been hospitalized, seen 23 doctors and thought of suicide..which is saying something since I beat cancer. At 90 pounds I just didn’t think I could take much more pain. This site has given me back hope. You all are talking about what is happening to me. I am not alone. And that we can’t get proper treatment or medication is a CRIME!

• Ian Francis

Bethee, I am so sorry for your situation. Do not give up. I am struggling right now because I went off what I thought was a low dose of armour thryoid, i.e. 30 mg. It was a situation of not realizing I was on my last refill and so I ran out. I phoned the doctor’s office on a Thursday and the office didn’t call in the script till the next Tuesday,30 pills with no refills this time (because I hadn’t seen the doctor in about a year, even though I made an appointment and couldn’t get in to see him they said till next April!).

So I was off it about a week and decided to reinstate and after a few days back on it boy do I have a terrible headache, and I can’t sleep. I also suffer from heimcrania continua (a migraine-like headache) as it is, but this made the headache so much worse. At least I think that’s what is making it worse. Also I can’t sleep which is the reason I am on this site at 4:54 AM. It’s terrible. I am hoping these exacerbated symptoms will subside in a few days, otherwise I am thinking of cutting the 30 mg. in half and re-introduce my gradually.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with armour after being off it a week or so and reinstating it? Also I am interested in this adrenal exhaustion thing, because even though my body is exhausted, my mind cannot turn off and I cannot sleep since I reinstated the armour a few days ago.

Thanks for any tips anyone can give.

14. joan compton

My doc said to go to drugstore.com to order Nature-throid. They will fax the doc to get the prescription and send the stuff directly to you. I haven’t done it yet, so I don’t know about back order. Good luck, hang in there! J

15. Jane

(From Janie: the below is not a problem with Naturethroid. You have either low ferritin http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ferritin and/or low cortisol http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info)

I want to put my two cents in regarding naturethroid. I first started on generic levothyroxine .05 mg or 50 mcg and within 3 days noticed I felt better and was not dragging and my brain fog went away. I stayed on this a month until my lab TSH showed 1.55 from previous of high of 3.8 when I felt bad. Since I prefer natural products over synthetic I switched to naturethroid 1/2 grain. Stayed on this for about 3 months and felt pretty good. I started sweating more than usual and had a few heart flutters/palpitations so decided I must be getting too high of a dosage. Started then on 1/4 grain. Still too much and was trying 1/4 every other day, still too much. Stopped completely because of the heart flutters because I didn’t want to hurt my body. I really wish naturethroid worked long term for me. I do think it is a medication very beneficial to some people with hypothyroidism. A patient does not lie. My son is on naturethroid 1.5 grains for the past few months with no symptoms. I just think we are all so individual and we have to try what works best for us. Since stopping naturethroid, for about a month I felt pretty good until after the month, symptoms of exhaustion returned. I am now trying Levoxyl and slowly feeling good again but do not know all the long term effects of the fillers/binders. That is a problem with all meds. I am not especially thrilled yet about any thyroid med so far but I know I need it to function. I think that perhaps naturethroid was too potent for me even at the lowest dose, maybe the active T3 in it. That said, my son is doing fine on it. There were benefits to naturethroid if I could tolerate it and that is increased sex drive and just overall feeling normal again. If it wasn’t for the heart flutters I would still take it, perhaps it made my body a bit hyperthyroid. For those of you who are confused, try different meds until something works for you. I was so confused about all the conflicting comments that I have come to believe that what works for one does not work for another. No one is lying, it is just their personal experience. Do what works for you!

16. Nell

Hi all,
    As with the majority of comments here I am outraged at the contempt Forest has shown it’s previously loyal customers.
    I was bumbling along reasonably efficiently on an armour/T3 mix when the sky fell in. It only took 2 days on the new armour for all my symptoms to return so I opened the cupboard and found a discarded pack of thyroid-s. It hadn’t been as effective as armour so I’d bunged it away. It turned out to be a Godsend short term. I eventually decided I was still going downhill, albeit more slowly than with armour so I’m now on Westhroid. I have everything crossed that I will also find it to be even better than the old armour as lately I’ve spent quite a lot of my days sleeping and the rest of the time moaning and feeling mildly paranoid.

17. Barb

I noticed that there were hairs on my bathroom floor one day, which seemed very strange, as I have always had a good head of hair. Coincidentally, I was having trouble getting my Armour thyroid prescription filled. When I went online to find out what was causing the problem, I saw an article with a list of symptoms being caused by the reformulation of Armour and suddenly realized how many of them I had, including heart palpitations, weight gain and extreme tiredness, and hair loss. I also read about Nature-throid. I called my pharmacy to ask if they had Nature-throid and they said no. I called the local compounding pharmacy and they did have it, so I asked my doctor to change my prescription and was able to make the switch. I immediately regained energy. And the heart palpitations went away. My hair is still recovering.

I’m just glad there has been so much communication between hypothyroid sufferers, or else I wouldn’t have known what was happening.

Did Armour even test their reformulation first?

18. Diana

I had problems with the new Armour as well. I now take a generic version of Armour called Thiroyd. I have to say its fantastic. For the first time, I am no longer irritable. Believe me, with small children, its very helpful not being irritable. I purchased it online (you can google it)- its so much cheaper than Armour as well.

19. Karen

I want the original Armour back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Naturethroid is not working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is all a big scam and funny that it should reformulate when we have a change in government that is TRYING to look out for us nobody’s!!!

20. Brenda F. Fleming

After Armour was reformulated I starting gaining weight and my symptoms came back. I had to stop working out because my joints started hurting. I contacted the FDA and they responded that Synthetic T4 was identical to Armour (they listed several brands of Synthetic T4). They stated that they are protecting consumers and that the Doctor needs to test TSH and T4 to properly dose the patient to the defined ranges. Well I’ve been dealing with Endos for 10 years now and have 1/2 a thyroid a know a thing or two. It is unbelieveable how uneducated the FDA is. They are clearly big PHARMA. It’s obvious that they do not communicate to the patient population nor do they care to.

21. Kay

My friend’s doctor just told her that Armour has reversed its reformulation and is going back to the way it used to be. The doctor is ready to write her a prescription for the new (old formulation) Armour. (She has been using Erfa Thyroid from Canada.)

Is this true? I can’t find a word about this development anywhere on the internet yet. The Forrest Pharmaceuticals website just addresses the shortage/dosages issue.

22. willie b

I was sick for years until given armour in 08 was finaly healthy until about 6 months ago. I started having all my old symptoms again and life sucks. In the past 4 months i have had terrible pain under left ribs and bloated w loose stools had colonoscopy and stool samlpe both normal i feel as if i am poisened. I also have had chills every day for 4 months i dont know what else it could be.

23. Kim

I need help. I recently went on thyroid med. for the first time. My dr. prescribed 30 mg. Nature-throid. I feel like a zombie. I’m tired and having difficulty concentrating and driving, etc. I have a burning scalp and facial skin, irritated & dry eyes. Skin very dry. I don’t know if I should continue this dose and hope the zombie side effect subsides, decrease the dose, or try something else. Anyone had this experience with Nature-throid?

(From Janie: You are on this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make You will need to educate your doc that you need to be raising and raising again.)

24. shel

From Janie: the problem can easily be from being underdosed. One grain is a good starting dose but not to stay on without raising, causing a return of hypo, which for you can be that pain. Read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make And you will need to chew the newly reformulated Armour to break down the cellulose. Use patient groups for further feedback: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

I was recently diagnosed hypothyroid about 3 months ago and put on armour thyroid by my naturalpathetic doctor at 60mg/day. I was never on the old formula so do not have anything to compare the new formula to. After about 3 weeks of the armour, I started experiencing SEVERE neuropathy pain in both forearms and hands. I have NEVER had trouble with this before. I am a hand therapist so I know what irritated nerve sypmtoms are in the upper extremities. My pain has been excruciating for 8 weeks – to the point that I can barely care for myself and my children, my house, and work 3-4 days per week. I have had to completely stop working out, playing tennis and can barely handle going for a walk as it hurts to even gently extend and swing my arms- although I make myself go. I have to limit my driving and housework as it is most painful. I have been to the doctor several times and had bloodwork done to rule out arthritis/lupus/gout/lyme’s disease, etc… The only thing getting me thru this painful time is prednisone, hydrocodone, and 800mg IB profin 3x/day when not on prednisone. I also am getting therapy and using heat to help and praying alot. My pain has been up to a 10/10. I am so sick of having to take all of these meds.
    The only thing I could think of that I changed was going off my estrodial patch after one year (per doctor request)and starting the armour at the same time. I asked my doctor and called several pharmacies who said it was not listed as a side effect of armour, so I kept taking it, but decided to go back on my estrodial patch for hormone replacement from my full hysterectomy (which may help reduce inflammation in the body). That did not reduce my pain (after 4weeks) so I decided to go back to the way things were before my severe arm pain started and that included stopping the armour. I have been off of it for 1 1/2 weeks and am still having alot of pain but slightly less. In my desperate state, I googled pain with armour thyroid use and came across many awesome articles and websites such as this and was ALARMED to read about all of the problems women are having since it was reformulated. As I read this, I realize that my extreme fatigue, fogginess (feeling like I could not remember anything and that I was losing it), dry skin and hair, moodiness, mild depression, and weight gain, etc… could be attributed to this drug. I chalked it all up to menopause, but now I realize that my symptoms did really worsen with this med. and I NEVER had neurpoathy pain before!!! I am SO FRUSTRATED that I have lost the ability to have a quality life when I am hurting 24/7 and trying to go day by day, get out of bed and function. I am praying that once the med. is out of my system (hopefully another few weeks), I will feel like new again. I pray that I do not have some permanent nerve damage. I actually have more energy since stopping armour than I did while on it.
    Has anyone else experienced neuropathy pain out of the blue with the reform. version and if so, has it gotten any better and how long did it take before you got better? I need some hope!
    I am going to try to stay off of any thyroid stuff for awhile and have my panel rechecked and discuss with my naturalpathetic doctor how to procede with some other natural choice. The info. on here has been very helpful as to some possible other choices.
    Sorry for the long comment, but this is my first post and it feels good to get this off my chest as not many people understand what it is like to go thru this like many on this site more than likely do -due to their struggle. I wish you all the best on your journey to feeling well!
    Shel

• CJR

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2000. Hashimoto disease. Allergic to synthroid, than put on Levoxyl. Terrible symptoms: wt. gain, anxiety, depression, tremors, insomnia to say the least. Changed Dr.’s. started Armour 30 mg. this past June,2013. Felt good at 1st. Had bloodwork done, Dr. raised to 60 mg. Armour. Still felt ok. Than more bloodwork….. Raised me to 75mg. Armour. OMG…. Left foot/ joint pain started limping. Terrible headaches. Wt. gain weekly off the charts. Depressed. Ended up in ER….. They did spinal tap. Came back viral meningitis. Never been so sick before Armour. Despite my levels being what they consider ” normal” I was not. All other tests for the unexplained edema of feet/ ankles/ abdomen came back normal. I stopped the 75 mg. Armour, and started taking only 60 mg. I have excessive urination; body excreting build up of fluid retention. Dr. Wants me to stay on the 60 mg. and re-test levels in 6 weeks. My hair is thinning; falling out. Still have joint pain. Just feel sick. Armour is not the answer, and the other drugs have terrible side effects too. I am at the end of my wits. If I don’t get “fixed” ASAP I will loose my career as a Nurse, for I have been so ill since starting Armour, and off work. Researched all, and don’t know what I will be able to take. I am allergic to so many meds. Thank you for reading….. CR

25. peggy rickard

I would like to know if I can have a sample of nature throid. I am tired of being tired. I want to help myself. No doctors I have had will consider seeking other treatment. I need to feel good as I have a sick child to care for.

26. Cindy

I have been on Armour Thyroid for about 12 years. About four years ago I went thru chemo and radiation for Hodgkins Lymphoma. They were also giving fairly high doses of Prednisone. After going through chemo I was 30 pounds heavier and had early onset of menopause! I have been fighting for the last 2 years or so with both my oncologist and primary care doctor telling them that my thyroid medication was not working. It wasn’t until I read your book and another call Hypothyroidism Type 2 that I realized that the suggested method by both doctors for dealing with (weight gain, fatigue, achiness, itchy eyes, dry skin, loss of interest in everything, etc.) my symptoms (“calories in calories out”) was bogus. No matter how little I ate over the following year or how much I exercised I couldn’t lose any weight in fact I gained weight! I am still I am fighting them. The oncologist is a lost cause the man could care less about anything but the Gold Standard.

I have energy in the morning from about 8 am to around 1pm and then I completely fizzle. I have to constantly self talk though to get interested in anything. I almost always take an afternoon nap. I usually do not sleep through the night and often wake up at 3 am because of a gnawing hunger-like stomach pain. Test upon test was done only to discover there is nothing wrong with my stomach or bowels.

My primary care physician is starting to listen. I went to the lab for a blood test this last Saturday morning. I did not take my Armour Thyroid (90 mg) med before going. The results were:
    TSH 1.764 lab uses a range of (.400 – 5.00)
    Free T3 2.5 (2.3 – 3.9)
    Free T4 0.6 (0.6 – 1.2)

According to what I have found here on your site these results show TSH is towards the top of the scale recommended by the AACE which is 0.300 – 2.00, T3 is not towards the top of the range, and free T4 is at the bottom of the range. I have been telling her that I thought my thyroid med should be increased to 120 mg for about a year now. I was started at 90 mg Synthyroid when first diagnosed but had a terrible reaction to it. (hives, painful swellings in my mouth and throat). I was switched immediately to Armour at 90 mg and have been at 90 mg for 11 1/2 years. I was wondering if you can recommend to me how I convince the doctor to increase my Thyroid to 120 mg. and to change from Armour to the generic NP-Thyroid (which is available through the Fred Meyer pharmacy and at Walgreens in my area). My Thyroid condition is hereditary 3 of my mom’s sister take thyroid medication and my sister takes Levothyroxine my sister consistently test at .75 TSH. I don’t know if they test her free T3 or T4 or what those numbers are but the range her lab uses is in line with the AACE.

27. Christine

It seems Forest did not go back to the original Armour formula, although there have been rumors about it here and in other forums. But I tried Armour recently, it tasted awful, was gritty and ineffective, so I guess all the rumors about a possible second reformulation (return to the original formula) were just wishful thinking?

28. Carol

I started taking new prescription of 60mg. Of armor thyroid medication, after a week on it I had a feeling the skin on my legs and arms had been seriously sunburned, also my feet felt hot. Has anyone else had these symptoms.

29. K smith

Hi I’ve been on 45 mg of Armor throyd for 2 years now. It seams like all of my at symptions are back. I’m sick of being on it. I really need to know how to taper off of it. Two days ago I went down to 30 mg, how long do I continue that for to eventually be off????

K Smith, your problem is that you’ve been SEVERELY underdosing yourself for two years!! For most of us 60 mg is a starting dose (and you are less than that), and we go up by 1/2 every two weeks..and start slowing down the raises in the 2-3 grain area. It appears that most become optimal in the mid-to-upper two grains and higher fro some. I, Janie, am optimal on 4 grains right now. But it’s individual. Read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

30. Alyse

I have been tyrating Armour for about 2 months and I want to switch to Naturethyroid. Do I take the same amount I’m on with Armour? I am having severe stomach issues as I am increasing my dose.

Alyse, patients have before found the two to be pretty close in effect. Not sure about your stomach issues….hopefully you have food in your stomach when you take NDT?

31. Kristie H

I have been on Armour for 13 months. I am using 120mg. I am having a humming throughout my body kind of like I swallowed a neon light. I am trembling, tingling in my hands and feet, am hoarse in the mornings, itching on calves, neck stomach and tops of arms, times when I am hot and sweating and times when I’m cold. Pulse is in 80’s even laying in bed. I used to be in my 60’s. Basal is around 97.4-97.5.

I’m confused because some of my sx are hyper and some are hypo. Thyroid labs from two days ago are: TSH <0.01 T3 Free 4.45 (I had only held Armour for 8hrs when this blood was drawn) Free T4 1.0 I have Hashi's and am gluten free. I don't understand why I am feeling the way I do. Please help.

32. Doug

Thyroid NP by Acella is the best NDT out there right now in my opinion. Walgreens carries it.

33. TL

I had to stop taking Armour because my body could not tolerate it anymore. Even at a dose of 60 mg for total thyroid hormone replacement, I had very bad hyper symptoms. Tremor, anxiety, weight loss, depression, shortness of breath, feeling faint, brain fog, episodes of high bp, and fast pulse. Back on Levoxyl and symptoms disappearing, and feeling a lot better!

34. Michelle

I started out on Synthroid and finally settled my dose to 100mg. My left ankle was swollen, felt bloated all the time, after a run it would take a lot longer than usual to “cool down” and could hardly hold my eyes open after dinner every night. Read a lot about this and switched to 60mg of Armour Thyroid. Felt great for about 2 weeks, ankle swelling went down but now at the end of week 3 my ankle is swollen again and I can feel the tiredness coming back. I am soon to have a blood test but wondered if there is anyway to get rid of the ankle swelling and tiredness that is creeping back up. Any help is appreciative!! This site has been so helpful!!

35. Janet

My former doctor had me on Armour 120 mg daily. I developed palpitations, so my new PCP sent me to an endocrinologist. According to the endocrinologist, the “high dose” I was taking killed my thyroid. She based that on my tsh being less than 0.01. IS this possible? She severely lowered my dose and I thought I was going to die. I felt horrible. So she raised it to 105 mg/day.

Some symptoms have left, but I am so fatigued and depressed. I have recently started an iodine supplement and now have palpitations. My latest labs: tsh 0.55, T4 free 0.70. I cannot lose weight, my skin is dry and wrinkly, and I am wondering if I need to change brands? Could an iodine and coconut oil supplement be all that was needed? Did I really kill my thyroid?

Please help!

36. Ian Francis

I am struggling right now because I went off what I thought was a low dose of Armour thryoid, i.e. 30 mg. It was a situation of not realizing I was on my last refill and so I ran out. I phoned the doctor’s office on a Thursday and the office didn’t call in the script till the next Tuesday,30 pills with no refills this time (because I hadn’t seen the doctor in about a year, even though I made an appointment and couldn’t get in to see him they said till next April!).

So I was off it about a week and decided to reinstate and after a few days back on it boy do I have a terrible headache, and I can’t sleep. I also suffer from heimcrania continua (a migraine-like headache) as it is, but this made the headache so much worse. At least I think that’s what is making it worse. Also I can’t sleep which is the reason I am on this site at 4:54 AM. It’s terrible. I am hoping these exacerbated symptoms will subside in a few days, otherwise I am thinking of cutting the 30 mg. in half and re-introducing more gradually.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with Armour after being off it a week or so and reinstating it? Also I am interested in this adrenal exhaustion thing, because even though my body is exhausted, my mind cannot turn off and I cannot sleep since I reinstated the Armour a few days ago.

Thanks for any tips anyone can give.

37. Cat

I’ve been taking Armour Thyroid for five years. My most recent labs are as follows:
    TSH 0.04 (range .26-2.66)
    FT3 0.9 (range .8-1.8)
    FT4 4.0 (range 2.3-4.2)

My iron, vitamin D and sodium levels are in the lower end of the the acceptable range although much higher than my last labs when I had fallen off the chart. After those last labs my physician had me increase my armour to (4) .5 grain pills per day and had me add sodium, D and iron into my diet.

Here’s my problem though, I’ve felt like crap since well before my previous labs and after the last increase in Armour and my vitamins and minerals, I’ve felt even worse. Deep bone pain in my legs and feet with burning in my heels. I’m a 48 yr old woman who hobbles around like I’m ninety.

Is it the Armour causing the pain or is it something else? It’s hard to find any info regarding this. All the searches I’ve done either sound like reps from other drug companies trying to jade people’s opinion of Armour or it’s Armour advocates vehemently insisting that it can’t possibly be the Armour causing the problem. Has Armour changed again with the newest drug company? All I know, is that I want desperately to feel better.

38. elsa martin

I seem to b allergic to all thyroid meds. I get rapid heart rate, red itchy eyes, constipation, tremours, nervousness, stomach problems, restlessness, fainting spells, swollen throat n belly, i rather deal with the symptoms when i dont take anything. As far as im concerned thyroid meds r dangerous n can kill u.

Elsa, if it’s an allergy to pig, you would have the same symptoms if you eat bacon or ham, we think. If so, there are OTC bovine versions. And someone can be on both synthetic T4 and synthetic T3.