As the one grain tabs of Naturethroid desiccated thyroid by RLC Labs are hitting pharmacy shelves again all across the nation here and there after the recent shortages and the sad reformulation of Armour,  and patients are starting to use the new Naturethroid, we are gathering some good information, both anecdotal and factual:

• The typical smell of desiccated porcine is less intense with the new tablets. We have no idea why.
  • The tablets are now stamped with RLC on one side, and N over 1 on the other, whereas before you’d see just NT1 or a reference to the fact that Time Caps Labs (TCL) used to make Naturethroid for RLC Labs
  • The package insert is no longer inside the bottle but stuck on top of the cap
  • Lot number info used to be on the edge of the label running vertically, whereas now, it runs along the bottom of the label  under the ingredients.

One grain is still 65 mg, with the T3 content being at 9 mcg and the T4 content being at 38 mcg.  The T2, T1 and calcitonin still unmeasured.

There are filler/inactive ingredients which have changed:

• Calcium filler has moved up from 16 mg to 17 mg (calcium binds thyroid, but you just take more. Don’t swallow it with milk, please.)
  • The old contained Magnesium, Potassium, and Sodium (each at less than 1 mg), whereas in the new, potassium is now removed
  • And here’s the best part: the old NT had Hydropropyl Methylcellulose–that’s the larger size cellulose structure which we know binds some of the thyroid hormones. Now, the new NT has Microcrystaline Cellulose, the smaller size. (Too bad we can’t see all cellulose removed!)

Below are the new NT fillers, which are identical to the old except for the cellulose change:

Carnaba Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Hypromellose, Lactose Monohydrate, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystaline Cellulose, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)-400, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Stearic Acid.

Most all the above comes courtesy of Stephanie Buist, owner of the Iodine group on Yahoo and thyroid and adrenal patient and advocate.  Thank you, Steph!  You can read about the fillers here by scrolling down.

Oh and by the way, the new tablets are now scored. A helpful addition!

In patient groups, we are seeing a variety of experiences with the new Naturethroid.  Most folks seem happy with it so far, and even some report it seems a tad stronger than the old (the cellulose change may have caused that). Occasionally, someone will report problems, but they appear to be from underdosing or a potential RT3 problem which has arisen and needs treatment with T3-only.  Changing brands can also bring different reactions, so you have to wiggle the dosage around sometimes to find your sweet spot once again.

All in all, it looks good.

P.S. If you are reading this via the Newsletter Notification, just click on the above link to put yourself right on the actual blog post if you want to comment. Let’s gather all our experiences with the new Naturethroid.

********************************************

If you missed the last internet radio Thyroid Patient Community Call with Dr. Kent Holtorf, you missed a VERY good one. Thank you Dr. Holtorf for excellent information. But good news! All the shows are recorded.  Just go to the following link, scroll down, and you can click on any past interviews, including two with Dr.  John C. Lowe and a great one with Endocrinologist Dr Pepper–one of a rare breed of open-minded Endos.  (I’ve also stopped doing my long intro’s about me in the last two, figuring if someone wants to know, they can go to the About Me page, or read the Introduction in the book which has even more detail. lol.)

118 Responses to “Here’s the skinny about the “new” Naturethroid: the good, the bad, and the curious”

1. James

the new Nature-Throid work well than old, i love the new Nature-Throid, Thank you for RLC Labs.

2. Nick

I prefer the new NatureThroid that make me feel better

(All your options: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/options-for-thyroid-treatment)

3. Victoria

A little concerned…2001 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Radiation fried my thyroid. I was placed on Synthroid. Total Thyroidectomy due to a nodule. My endo kept decreasing my meds after TT. I never felt great after hypo in 2003 but after TT I felt like a I had been run over by a mac truck constantly along w/ weight gain, foggy, and extreme hair loss. I began seeing a new GP and he 5 weeks ago placed me on 85/20 compounded thyroid. I felt better & lost 7 lbs. He did my labs @ 4weeks of the compounded meds & said I still didn’t have enough. He rx’d Armour 5 grain. I filled it & started today. However, with all the reformulations etc I’m not sure if Armour is what I want to go with. Any ideas? I am horrified at the thought of going backwards when I just began after 9 years to see a glimpse of the person I was. Efra sounds good, but I understand it to take 4-6 weeks to get it so I’d have to have something in the meantime?? It wouldn’t be covered by insurance whereas the others would. I will do anything at any cost to have a quality of life. I just can’t make sense of all the changes & if the reformulations are ok at higher doses or what.

4. Sheila

Need some advice! I switched from Armour (1 grain) to Synthyroid .100mcg in 2008 at the same I went on bio-identical hormones. Within 6 mos. I developed the most debilitating asthma and have been on nebulizer treatments ever since that time. I have found a wonderful DO that I have found who sent me to a cardiologist for chest pains. The cardiologist was adamant that chest pains were from asthma meds and asthma was result of Hashi’s and possible not turning T4 into T3. I have appt. with Dr. this week and will be able to get off of synthroid. My ferritin and D levels are within range, my cortisol is normal but my DHEA is low. I will find out thyroid panels at the appt. this week (I went off of all HRT in Aug). I would love some recommendations of what medicine (taking into consideration all the reformulations) would be best to start on. I also have the option to compound.

(From Janie: remember that lab results have nothing to do with being “in range”. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values And here are patient groups which can help with ideas: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others Finally, get the revised STTM book to help you learn: http://www.laughinggrapepublishing.com )

5. Diane

Polyethelyne Glycol included! Maybe I won’t take it after all.

6. Susie Lee

Anyone have problems with sever itching ? Diagnosed a few yrs ago with Hypo Hashimos. Doc gave me Synthroid (Levoxithyrine ). Got to 75 mg and wasn’t working got off of it. Waited a while and found a holistic gal. Started me on Armour. Felt euphoric and fabulous. But the itching started. Then she did an allergy blood panel. Found our I was allergic to all kinds of stuff. Gluten, casein, eggs, oats, pork, bananas, amaranth (had to look that one up)…. So I began eliminating. My antibodies are still way too high. So I quit the little bit of creamer I was using in my coffee once a day. She has changed me from Armour, to NatureThroid now gone full circle on Synthroid, but this time with Cytomel so I’m getting the T3. Still itching…now with a fine rash night and day. Why?

7. Romana Cole

Was given a generic form of Nature-Throid. Got sore throat, difficulty breathing, itchy eyes, dripping nose, sneezing, hives. Went back to pharmacist to replace generic with brand name. Was sick for two weeks on generic before I realized the switch. Pharmacist apologized and gave me a new Rx free of charge and refunded the Generic Rx. Thank God! I thought I was going to die on the generic. Lesson learned. Ronny

8. kristie parker

I was switched to Nature throid after being on Synthroid/cytomel. I am on 196 mg. I have gained 10 pounds and still feel NO better. I am also on A-Drenal supplements for very low functioning adrenal glands. I feel fat and horrible and i hate looking at myself in the mirror. it is so depressing. Yes, I eat right. I have to because my hubby has fatty liver disease. what can I do ????

9. Afton

Why would you recommend a product that contains magnesium stearate, citric acid and various other questionable ingredients? Magnesium stearate is formed by adding a magnesium ion to stearic acid. Stearic acid suppresses T cells which are key components of our immune system. Those of us who require thyroid supplements are already dealing with enough challenges and we certainly don’t need to weaken our immune system even further.

10. lauren

I am on 46 MG of nature thyroid. It doesn’t seem to be working. Do I up it?

11. Liz

Been taking naturethroid for about 9months following a TT for cancer and had undiagnosed Hashimotos as well..can’t take synthetics as I had severe allergic reactions and all tried armour and np thyroid as well and naturethroid was the best with a 28lb weight loss as well..all of a sudden over Christmas this year I became hyper and my Dr lowered me by a quarter grain which I previously hadn’t been doing that great on during the summer to September, all over again my symptoms came back but now I have worse symptoms severe vertigo since January 2015,no energy,itchy skin,loss of balance, my hair is getting worse and in the last month gained 10lbs back..I never had the severe vertigo and it always gets worse when I take my next dose..my dr said if I go up again I will become to hyper..my tsh previously was 0.22 on the 1 3/4 grains so I have been on 1 1/2 since Christmas due to chest pains and shortness of breath from hyperthyroidism previously..I don’t know what is going on since when I was lowered previously I might get skin/nail changes or some weight gain and fatigue bute never the other symptoms I have now..and my Dr thinks I’m in the range she wants even when I tell her I can’t function because of vertigo being so bad I can’t stand barely..I called to see if it was reformulated or switched pharmacies and got new bottles twice and can’t seem to figure it out..has this happened to anyone else..oh and I also have horrible tremors thru out my body with them becoming worse since lowering my dr said probably withdrawal from t3 since decreasing and continue the dose.

• Katie

Liz: Your does is way to low, if you are getting hyper symptoms on less than two grains then your adrenals may need some support.

• jenn

Could be that you’ve developed iron-deficiency anemia. You might want to get that checked. good luck!!

12. alwyn lhoir

i wanted to try a natural thyroid after being on T3 only. i still had some t3 left, and did one grain of nature-throid, and 25 mcg. of t3, to run out the pills. ( i liked them, my manufacturer stopped making them). i’ve had severe muscle cramps lately, fatigued, checked my temp and it dropped to 97 again. i think i’ve gone hypo…i’m going back to T3, i don’t think i can convert, somehow. oh well….

13. Charlene

I had been on Armour successfully for 8 years and then had to switch to NP because of the recent price jump. I was on the same dosage of 30 mg in am and 30mg at 2pm. I started to have hypo symptoms had Labwork done and it show a TSH of 2.87. High for me. I was told to increase to 45 in am and 30 at 2 . I states to have nocturnal itching and hot
    flashes. I have tried Synthroid, and continued to have itching. Tried Naturethroid at 45 mg and decreased to 30in am- still have itching. What is going on?!?!

What a frustrating mystery, Charlene! Is it possible the itching is due to something entirely different than the thyroid meds?

• Susan

I’m having itching after taking NatureThroid, as well.
      I’ve been on 75 mcg of Levothyroxin for at least 8 years. No issues except my energy level does not seem to rebound quickly after aerobic exercise like I’d wish. (I’d be tired the following day!) Reading about the success many people have had who take natural desiccated thyroid made me want to try it. Especially when I read that some individuals feel extra energy by addressing T3, which Levothyroxin does not. In addition, my sister was recently diagnosed as being hypothyroid and is on NatureThroid & doing great. I asked my NP to allow me to try NatureThroid. Together we looked at the on-line conversion chart. I started with 3/4 grain (48.75mg), but after about 10 days I felt like I was taking Nodoz. I talked to a Pharmicist who said taking less might be a good idea. I’d also read that some people have better luck taking 1/2 in the AM and the 1/2 in the PM. I cut my dose in half. I tried 1/4 pill in the AM & another 1/4 pill in the afternoon and I continued for a week. The jittery feeling went away. I increased to 1/2 pill in the AM & another 1/4 pill in the afternoon for a week. I felt extremely tired by afternoon. Last week I started taking a full dose in the AM. For several days I felt better, not quite so tired in the afternoon. But now I am getting hives, mostly around my chest bone and groin area. I’m also experiencing “hot flashes” from time to time and I have already gone through menopause. In addition, I’m hitting a wall, so to speak, in the afternoon. I have to have a cup of coffee to function. I called my NP’s office to see if we can now check to see what my blood work looks like but I’m told it’s too early, especially since I cut back on the dose. I’m wondering if I should try taking 1/2 in the AM and 1/2 in the PM? The hives are itching like crazy and I’m beginning to wonder if I’ve made the wrong decision in trying to switch to natural thyroid. In pouring over blogs on-line, I understand people say be patient, it takes awhile to adjust.
      Before I started NatureThroid, my TSH was 3.05,Free T3 2.0, Free T4 1.15, ANTITGAB 5.36 & TPO 439.87. I have not been retested since I started NatureThroid. Does it sound like I’m taking too much, not enough??? Any suggestions? Helpful hints? Thanks so much!

Hi Susan. First of all, we can’t go by the conversion charts. They will only serve to keep us hypo in our degree and kind. Second, 3/4 grain is half a starting dose, and it’s common to feel worse the longer we stay on that without raising. We go up and up to find our optimal dose, which for many, seems to start somewhere in the 3 grain area, but others are in the 3-5 grain area. So you see that you are wayyy lower. This page explains what we have learned in the use of NDT: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

But, if you have hives due to Naturethroid, makes one wonder if you are allergic to pig or the fillers in Naturethroid!

14. Arlene

I took Armout 4 a 5 years and also switched to Nature thyroid due to price increase about 4 months ago. Since then other medication dosage have changed. I take DEHA, progesterone, testosterone and low dose estrogen. During this time I started feeling awful. Knees ache, left shoulder, left foot, and hips all achy. I had blood work due so decided to wait it out. I was in hospital due to ruptured appendix so thought it might be from that trauma. Well, today I got my blood work over phone. I was speaking with the PA and explained all and she immediately said its the Nature thyroid, that some people react to the fillers. She changed me back to Armour so will see if that fixes it. Have you ever heard of anyone with these symptoms?

There are other great brands you can move to rather than the now-expensive Armour: NP Thyroid and WP Thyroid are two.

• Pam Rigsby

Someone bought out Armour and really messed it up. I felt great on Armour and all my symptoms came back and found out they sold out and only putting fillers in it. I was tested and had no medicine in my system. I’m still upset over that. I was doing great on it. I started Nature Throid and been taking it about 8 weeks but my T3 and T4 are still low so she raised it. I was taking 90 and she added 15. It’s making me want to eat constantly. I know it has to be the medicine because I wasn’t like that before and I sure hope it quits. I need to lose weight and not gain. My hair seems to be coming out also. I sure wish they had not messed Armour up and also Synthroid was bought out and they are using fillers which caused me severe joint pain. I had taken it for 16 years without any problems. My dr. said it’s a shame what the FDA is allowing to pass.

There are some who report feeling hungrier, but as your body adjusts to the NDT, it goes away. If your hair is falling out, that can be because your dose is still quite low and thus, hypo worsens.

• Kate

I had the same symptoms! Severely achy neck and shoulders along with lower back and hips, as well as anywhere I have ever had an injury! I even developed an extreme muscle spasm on the right side that I am still trying to work out. After about 4 weeks of this and feeling miserable I did some research and this was listed as a side effect for the natural thyroid I am taking. My numbers were too high so my Dr raised the amount from 60 MG Acella to 90 over a few weeks. I also developed lots of sinus drainage and GERD symptoms from that, and I never have problems with that this time of the year. Anyway, I stopped taking the med and within 2 days sinus drainage gone, no neck pain, no shoulder pain, no severe aches anywhere else except for the spasm knot which will take a while to work out, but it is getting so much better. I was off for about 10 days and feeling better all the time and then tried taking the old dose of 60 MG for three days…sinus can back along with general achiness and GERD symptoms. So today I haven’t taken it at all…and I feel great! Even the knot from the muscle spasms is almost gone!

Now I have got to figure out what to do next. I was on Levoxyl for over 10 years and developed high blood pressure and high heart rate, without any improvements in how I felt, but the Dr was happy because the #s were good. 😡 As soon as I quit taking that all those symptoms went away and I started the natural thyroid med about a year ago. I couldn’t take the brand armour because of the fillers and tried the Acella which worked ok until the increase. However in hindsight, I probably was having a slight reaction to it then, just not as noticeable because of the lower dosage. I feel so much better when I am not on any thyroid meds…

Kate, the sites that list “side effects” don’t understand the use of NDT. Those side effects are usually from either not raising high enough to find one’s optimal dose (usually because of doctors who hold you hostage to the TSH, or don’t understand how to raise), or having either inadequate iron or cortisol issues (which is revealed when raising NDT).

You need to study this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• Betty

What type of aches did you have in your knees? I just switched over to nature throid from armour and after 3 weeks I am having aches in my legs like I have just had a workout. I am find sitting down, but getting up and walking around my legs are so stiff.

Maybe you aren’t optimal?

• Betty

I was on 150 armour and now 146.25 naturethroid. I have never had this ache with armour. I am having a hard time just getting up in the morning to walk around. If I had a walker I would use it. My Doctor knows nothing about these types of drugs so no sense in asking her. I know we are not suppose to go off our meds, but today I am going to stop taking it to see if it is the naturethroid. I would rather go back on the armour with its problems. If it is the naturethroid would it matter to change to west throid or acella?

15. Pam Rigsby

I sure hope the hunger goes away and I agree about the dose. I think mine is still too low. I was on 150 synthroid and she has me on 90 and just added 15 to the Naturethroid. I will get blood work on July 13trh. I think she should have went ahead and had me take the 90 and added 30 but I guess time will tell. thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better.

Though our optimal dosed are all very unique to us, I was once on .125 Synthroid and my optimal dose is 3 1/2 grains. I personally would study the Natural Thyroid 101 page on STTM and get in way sooner than July. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• Charlene

Hi I was on 0.125 synthroid I’m a 14 yr thyroid cancer survivor no thyroid switched to naturethroid 81.25 one month ago blood test at 3wks tsh 0.025 ft4 0.9 ft3 3.1 but my doc said tsh is too low I’m afraid if she lowers I’ll b hypo at this point I’m thinking of going back to synthroid my numbers on synthroid 0.125 are tsh 0.122 t4 1.1 t3 2.4 even on synthroid she won’t raise me so when on synthroid I always feel bad

16. Pam Rigsby

I do have an appointment June 28th with the specialist and I’m sure she will do blood work so that will be about 4 weeks. Thanks

Just be prepared that when we are underdosed, that’s a long time to wait. Read the link! We have to teach and guide our doctors on this.

17. Pam Rigsby

Thanks Janie Bowthorpe, you are right, we have to teach and guide our doctors. This Nature Throid is also new to them and I myself do not understand the grains. I was taking 150 mg of synthroid and then talking bout a grain or 1 or 2 grains confuses me.

One grain equals 60 mg, but in Naturethroid’s case, it’s 65 mg.

• Sherry Gillis

I went in to my Endo 2 days ago and told him something has to give, because when I was originally on Armour Thyroid 8 years ago it worked fabulously. I lost 24 lbs in 6 weeks and felt like a million bucks. Then they reformulated it, I’ve gained and gained and my endo keeps upping the dose, I lose weight, then he lowers the dose, I gain weight. This week he switched me over to Naturethroid and will see me in 4 weeks, so I get tests 3 wks from now.

By the way, thanks Janie Bowthorpe for your comments – it really helps!

18. Pam Rigsby

thanks, I wonder why they just don’t list is a milligrams. It would be easier.

19. Nick

I do not have a thyroid. I recently went from synthroid / nature-throid combo to a 100% nature-throid 146.25 MG and my TSH is shooting through the roof from 2.486 mIU/L to 16.258 mIU/L!!! Needless to say I feel horrid and my inflammation is now unbarable.
    synthroid / nature-throid combo: thyroglobulin 13.5 ng, F T4 1.08 ng, F T3 3.37 pg, TSH, 2.486, R T3 20 ng
    100% nature-throid: F T4 0.59 ng, F T3 3.43 pg, TSH 16.258, R T3 10 ng

I will add that I am also seeing recommend MD from STTM. I’m starting to think this MD does not know what to do with me so any education that I can provide to him and my self would be great.The MD doubled my dosage to 292.5 MG but he really looked dumbfounded about why my TSH would rise like that.

Ill also add that my adrenals are functioning perfectly and cortisol was in range. I did the suggested STTM labs.

“For a few rare individuals, they may have inherited a faulty deodinase enzyme (meaning you can’t convert T4 ever)…” Does any one know what this SNP is? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509195/ ???

Nick, you didn’t give ranges for your free’s or the RT3, so it’s hard to comment. But when on the Naturethroid/Synthroid combo, it appears your free T4 was way too high if the top of the range was 1.7. That’s why it’s a mistake to combine them, patients have learned repeatedly. It drives the RT3 too high, as I think yours was.

But on Naturethroid alone, it appears you are underdosing with a FT4 that low (tho not sure without a range). If it is low in the range, that means your free T3 is pooling. And if so, the latter means you have an iron or cortisol problem (even tho you think you don’t).

Understand that patients discovered that lab results have nothing to do with “normal” or being “in range” as you stated. Compare your saliva results to this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values Do the same with all four iron labs.

20. Morgan Porter

I was born with major heart defects, had 2 open heart surgeries and a stroke. I am only 24 and was just diagnosed with Hashimoto’s. Everything says to not take Thyroid medication because of my heart, but I don’t know what my options are. Has anyone had success with alternative medicines or eastern approaches?

Hi Morgan. The irony is thyroid medications have repeatedly helped people’s heart function, not hurt them. I wonder if your Hashi’s isn’t far along and you could stop the attack and thus, still maintain a fairly good working thyroid without being on thyroid meds? I would look into low dose naltrexone and see what you think…patients have had success with it lowering the attack. Also getting totally off gluten. Selenium helps lower anti-TPO. I list the best LDN group here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others None compare.

21. Jamie Lee

Hi Everyone,

I am currently struggling with my doctor about where I should be at (dosage wise). I was on 1 1/2 grain for 5 months and felt awesome, better than I have in years. My blood work came back for this month showing:
    Free T3 2.9
    T4 4.4
    T3 Total 109
    Free T4 0.71
    TSH 0.49

I am tired all the time, gaining weight/bloated/swollen, all my old hypo symptoms are back basically. My doctor lowered my dose to 1 1/4 grain. I feel even worse than before and feel like I need to higher the dose. Any thoughts, ideas, or insight would be extremely helpful. I feel hopeless, again, after finally feeling great for once. Also, does it really go by your weight the dosage, if so how?

Jamie, one big mistake that patients make is thinking that because a dose of NDT makes them feel better, that’s where they stop. And as you discovered, you are now worse. You see, it’s common to start feeling better on those low doses, but that doesn’t mean you were “optimal”. So this was destined to happen.

Second, it is common for the TSH to go low like yours did on NDT…and you have a typical clueless doctor who freaks out about it, thus lowers the NDT. So not only were you not optimal, your doctor lowered it and made you even worse!!

So here’s what you need to do: study the following page and see what optimal means. It’s also about raising high enough to achieve certain lab results and a certain temperature, which you didn’t achieve: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

Second, it’s not about the TSH! You cannot let a doctor dose you by it once on NDT. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless

Also, it’s a waste of your blood and money to do the total T3 and total T4. All you need is the free T3 and Free T4.

Finally, just for comparisons sake, I achieved optimal at 3 1/2 grains. I used to be optimal at 4 grains but that was when I had higher estrogen than I do now. Many of us aren’t optimal until we are in the 3-5 grain area. Some start being optimal in the mid to upper 2 grain area. It’s very individual.

And Jamie, this is all why STTM exists…to educate you. Because if you put all your apples in your doctor’s basket, this is what happens. We are light years ahead of them. Thus, learn, learn…and expect to TELL your doctor what you want…and if he refuses to listen, find one you can guide: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/how-to-find-a-good-doc

22. Jamie Lee

Hi Janie, thank you so much for your response and help!

I agree that my doctor is clueless. I battled with her for a few month just to get on NDT and then she can’t even read my results right or treat me properly. I am currently looking for another doctor in the Massachusetts area and decided to stay on my old 1 1/2 grain dosage until I can see a new doctor to up it. I have the STTM book and have learned so much thanks your amazing website! Thank you sooooo much for the the information and links, as I will definitely be needing a list of doctors and what to ask for!

I

23. Jnaice

Your information is a little misleading. Per Naturethroid’s conversion chart, one grain is equivalent to “around” 100 mcg of Synthroid.

HI Jnaice. Let me explain a few things (and this is on STTM’s Natural Thyroid 101 page). First, the conversion charts have been found by patients to be lousy. i.e. when switching to those amounts on conversion charts, as if they are “the” amount we should be on from now on, we have gotten quite hypo all over again. It’s comparing apples to oranges. Second, patients found that when they have been on T4-only, their hearts and bodies “might be” sensitive to the stimulative effect of the direct T3 in NDT. So it was concluded over the years that one grain, or 60/65 mgs, is a safer amount to start on for most. I was a good example…I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, which makes my heart sensitive to some things. And even starting on nearly a grain years ago made my heart palp for about 4-5 days. I shudder to think what my heart would have done if I had started on the so-called conversion chart amount for the Synthroid amount I used to be on! lol. So believe it or not, it’s not misleading. STTM is based on the compilation of reported patient experiences and wisdom for years now, and we hope you will share the information with your doctor. 🙂 http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

24. DZ

I had been on Armour for about 6 months, and after increasing to a certain point started getting hyperthyroid symptoms. Reduced dose to 1 grain BID. Then my provider wanted me to try NatureThroid to eliminate some of the fillers in Armour. I started that at the same dose about 2 months ago. The result was a gentle return of all hypothyroid symptoms, even worse than before I started Armour. Severe joint pain, muscle spasms, general restlessness, and extreme fatigue. I increased the dose, and these symptoms persisted but also stated getting cardiac hyper symptoms. Checked TSH yesterday and it is 0.01. Going to go back on Armour today. Anyone else have similar symptoms on Naturethroid?

25. Donna Czerwinski

I was on armour for a long time but then it didn’t seem to work..found out later than they changed the formula; so I asked my dr to put me on NatureThroid..I was on the 97.xmg dosage of hature throid but I felt like I had palps,s o I was lowered to 81.25mg. Of late, my hair doesn’t look right and for me that’s a clear sign of hypo…other symptoms too. I am so sick of trying to get the right dose of whatever. I had one of my parathyroid glands removed in Feb 16 and I wonder if that has anything to do with this now. Latest bloodtest shows pth and calcium levels normal. Vitamin D great. t4 free direct is .81ng/dL; t3 is 107 and tsh is .75. all ng/dL…thyroblobin antibody is 1.2 and thyroid peroxidase tpo ab is 6. Is there any other thyroid med that would work better; what about that New Zealand thyrogold? Thanks..Donna

Hi Donna. Here’s something to explore: when many patients see palps on as low a dose of 97 mg, it could be pointing to two possibilities. One is simply not being on enough. i.e most of us get worse on low doses if we stay on them too long. Some notice it sooner; some notice it later. But the next reason is more common…that it’s revealing low iron or a cortisol problem. Can’t tell you much about those labs—no ranges were given, and you only gave the total T3–we find the free T3 more important since it’s measuring what’s unbound and available for use. Here’s information to study and explore for yourself: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me