My discovery of why our MAGNESIUM levels are a huge problem! (mine was)

I am blown away by the magnitude of what I have discovered just recently. And this potentially involves YOU.

I had several labs done just to keep track of how I stood in several areas. One was RBC Magnesium.  “RBC” (red blood cell) measures the intracellular levels of magnesium–a more accurate picture than a “serum” measurement of your magnesium, which only measures 1% (and sadly, most doctors only measure your serum levels). i.e. even if your serum measurement was normal, your cellular levels may NOT be.

And my result?? My RBC magnesium measured at the bottom, very bottom, of the range. I was shocked. I eat healthy, and have been giving myself liquid minerals off and on for awhile. But clearly, I have been unable to raise my magnesium level. When I tried to raise my supplementation, I’d have to runnnn to the bathroom.

So I opened a book that a good friend gave me: Transdermal Magnesium Therapy by Mark Sircus, OMD. And folks, I am blown away. Here is what I have learned, and YOU may need to as well:

Magnesium Deficiency

• Affects at least 7 out of 10 reading this
  • Can be there even if you feel well (me); will be there if you have mal-absorption (think gluten issues)
  • Is common with diabetes, liver disease, and if you take or eat a lot of calcium
  • Is especially problematic if you drink alcohol, sodas, caffeine and excess sugar, have a stressful life, sweat a lot, or take birth control pills
  • Increases your risk of heart disease, strokes, muscles problems, cancer and many other illnesses
  • Is common in a stressful life (and especially so if you have adrenal fatigue, or you are a Type A personality)
  • Can be even worse than a lab test reveals
  • Is found in someone like me who eats right!!

How a deficiency of magnesium affects you

• Can cause heart disease (and exacerbates my Mitral Valve Prolapse), plus strokes
  • Promotes tooth decay, muscle cramping (me for over a decade)
  • Lowers your immune system strength, energy levels, metabolism (I have to eat like a mouse, even on desiccated thyroid)
  • Increases blood pressure (mine has risen at the same time I’ve noticed leg cramps…hmmmm)
  • Decreases your body’s ability to use Vit. C and E
  • Lowers the production, function and transport of insulin
  • Causes an increase of toxins and acid in your body (think cigarettes, radiation, toxins in food/water/air)
  • Makes you susceptible to host of diseases and conditions

Why you need higher levels of magnesium

• Helps the metabolism of carbs, fats and amino acids and influences 325 enzymes
  • Counteracts and regulates the influence of calcium, which can harm you if too much
  • Is required for the body to produce and store energy (just like desiccated thyroid)
  • Calms the brain
  • Removes toxins along with Vit. C
  • Increases the efficiency of white blood cells (your immune system)
  • Helps prevent cancer and slows down the course of cancer (along with zinc and selenium!)
  • Can raise testosterone levels in men (and with zinc)
  • Relieves pain! (important news for those with arthritis or other pain issues)
  • Does the opposite of what is listed above about how deficiencies affect you
  • Is nearly miraculous for the depth and scope of its application
  • Saves billions of dollars as well as millions of lives

How will I treat my own low magnesium?? After confirming my situation via the RBC Magnesium lab test (very important to first find out. My doctor did it through Quest Labs),  I know I can’t improve it with oral supplements. The amount I would need simply causes diarrhea.

Instead, I am following the information I’ve read in this book and heard about from others: the use of  “magnesium oil”, which is magnesium chloride, and I’ll be rubbing it on my skin and following the information on how much. That is apparently the best way to give myself enough magnesium. I have personally ordered the Ancient Minerals brand–found it on the net. I may also use magnesium salts in water, soaking my feet in it. I plan on making sure my husband is tested, as I strongly suspect he is low as a diabetic with digestive issues.

Have questions about this? Get the book from the web or your favorite bookstore. Half.com has several copies. There is much more detail than I listed above which blew me away!

Yes, I feel really good with my natural desiccated thyroid in the treatment of my hypothyroid. But I want to be healthy in all areas, and this is one that looks important to me. (Thanks Stephanie)

71 Responses to “My discovery of why our MAGNESIUM levels are a huge problem! (mine was)”

1. Sway Johnson

I have been on the magnesium journey myself. My doctor wouldn’t order it so I used an online lab testing company. My naturopath told me that although I scored on the low end of normal, I should have a reading of 6. So I am taking supplements now. They are slow release so that helps a lot to avoid diarrhea symptoms.

• Bluestone

Sway Johnson, et al: Can you please share the name / brand and dose of the slow release magnesium you are taking? You wrote a positive remark on this last April 2013 – How is it working now, 8 months later? Thanks.

2. Cindie

Help my son 23, is very ill! High cal ,low mag! His nutritionist put him on a cal/mag/zinc supplement! I asked about the transdermal mag .. She said he needs this combo? Is ths true.?
    What diff between nutritionist and naturopath..?? I worry she selling her products!!

• Gwen B.

I’ve recently listened to an interview with the doctor who wrote ” The Magnesium Miracle”. She encourages 2 times the magnesium of calcium in any supplement and she actually discourages the use of calcium supplements all together. She says we have so much in our blood and most of us eat dairy, etc. She says we get more than enough calcium in most cases and are terriby magnesium deficient as a nation. This causes atrophy in our bodies and calcification of our hearts. I through away my combo mag/ cal. supplements. They were hurting me rather than helping.

• Stacy

While my grandfather was much older than your son and I don’t know anything more about magnesium then what stated above, the parathyoid’s ONLY job is to regulate calcium. I would look into that. Not to scare you but I feel I should let you know that my grandfather was high for years and no one ever looked into his parathyroid. He had the symptoms associated with hyperparathyroid and it wasn’t until 2mo before he passed away that I was able to get my mom to question the docs and take a further look. His body was riddled with cancer at that point. Just add it to your list to check off…better safe then sorry! There is a wonderful doc in Florida that wrote up an awesome guide. He even took the time to email me when I was desperate on finding why my grandfather kept going downhill and how to approach the doctors. http://parathyroid.com/diagnosis.htm

• Joshua S

Hello,

I would highly recommend against any calcium supplementation. Any Chelated Magnesium supplement is good, but make sure it is from a reputable brand that doesn’t have any fillers, most likely at your local health food store. Zinc is important but it is fairly easy to get it from food sources. I know from personal experience that The Synergy Company has very high quality Organic multi vitamins. Switch your son to a whole food organic diet and get him off the Standard American Diet. Get a high quality Activated Carbon water filter as chlorine/chloromines can also greatly affect your health. I highly recommend anybody here take a trip to owen.curezone.com. It has all the info you could need to know about healing and regaining health. I also read an interesting article about 6 very effective ways to increase magnesium, I use a few of them myself – http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5534/6-Powerful-Ways-to-Boost-Your-Magnesium-Levels.html

3. Gigi

I am so thankful that naturopaths are able to open up and be honest about mineral deficiencies. For more than 30 years (since the birth of my eldest child) doctors have kept me on high dosages of inderal to prevent anxiety and migraines. Now, 30 years later, I went from 127 lbs. to 200 lbs. (a side effect of the medication) have developed fluid around my ankles and abdomen, have no energy, and still have tension headaches. I did my research to find natural remedies for anxiety and got over 30 interesting hits on magnesium. I rushed to the local supermarket and picked up a bottle. I feel better than if I had take two 40 mg tablets of my medication. Sadly, My doctors over the years have never suggested that I stop taking inderal which was creating the potential for serious health issues. I would love to involve myself in a support group for this wonderful mineral. I know that exercise, a sensible diet, rest, and the right supplements are key to losing this exorbitant amount of weight. Drastic weight loss surgery is no longer an answer for me. I have found my answer. When I am successful with the weight loss, I will write a book journaling my experiences.

• Larry

You Go Girl!!!

Make sure you also research iodine. The story is the same as for magnesium. We MUST have it and don’t get it. We are instead poisoned from bromine and fluoride. You don’t need a lot, it is easier than magnesium to get but you may have some initial adverse effects due to your body dumping accumulated bromine (look up bromine poisoning, my daughter had every symptom listed after starting iodine, but lost 8 lbs and all her breast lumps in about 1 week!!)

We have found magnesium glycinate to be a pretty good source to take orally. Transdermal is good, but I realized (when I tried adding more orally with each meal) that I was not getting enough that way. .

4. Karen

My experience and research shows that T3 increases the CoA line of nutrients which can quite quickly deplete magnesium. If one can’t get magnesium levels up and if blood pressure is rising or fluctuating, check insulin levels. Magnesium opens cells and allows insulin to be properly used. If insulin gets too high, you have insulin resistance and it doesn’t allow magnesium into the cells. Just another avenue to investigate.

Karen

5. shtove

I’ve been messing around with magnesium for a couple of months.

Tried mag malate pills + mag chloride spray, but the best is epsom salts spray. Works well for sleep, for me at least.

There’s a robust discussion on sulphate v chloride at this link:

6. ger her

half.com has been disabled. what book is she talking about for info on magnesium?

• April P.

I believe she is talking about her book, Stop the Thyroid Madness”. You can also check out “The Magnesium Miracle”. Ebay or Amazon has a good selection of new and used.

The book I’m referring to is the one this blog post referred to: Transdermal Magnesium Therapy by Mark Sircus, OMD

But for those with thyroid disease, yes, the Stop the Thyroid Madness book is a detailed outline of what patients have learned about better thyroid treatment and their wisdom. The above book, though, is the one that was so good about Magnesium.

7. melrob

HI MY NAME IS MEL….
    I was just recently diagnosed in February of hypothyroid and also found out I was in full-blown menopause. At that point my doctor put me on 30 milligrams of armor. Also I was put on estrogen progesterone bioidenticals, testosterone cream. My bloodwork came back that all levels were much better. My t3 was a 3.2 after 3 weeks on armour…. but then she increased it tom 60mgs…. at first I was feeling a lil hyper like energy. (On the 60mgs) Then 3wks into it we tesred again and now my levels of t3 were at 4.0… I asked about my heartreat/pulse becuz it was about 90 beats.and a explained that I feel a little hyper. And that I could feel my heartbeat ing when I was laying down. That was last friday,over the course of the weekend and into the beginning of the week I found myself waking up with sweats, leg cramps muscle tenderness and frequently going to the bathroom along with heart palpitations and extremely vivid nightmares and waking up quite often. When I call the doctor she simply told me that it was anxiety that I was experiencing. And that I could lower the dosage of armor bye cutting it in half and to come back and see her again for blood work in 3 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions well what they think might be happening because I felt fine until we did the increase and I noticed all these other issues coming about over the course of several weeks and now she’s telling me its anxiety??? Any information or help would be great… Thank you

8. Shanae

Hello all! My doctor tested me for low magnesium levels and my value was 1.8 the normal range for serum magnesium value is between 1.7-2.8 even though I am in the normal range is it still low ?

9. Sandra

I have gained 30 pounds in the last 11 months and just keep gaining no mater what! My hair texture has change to that of (as my hairdresser says)as horse’s tail. I feel like I can’t concentrate. It isn’t menopause because I am 47 years old and had a complete hysterecomoy at age 29. My chloresterol suddenly went high 12 months ago and I have been on two meds and no change in levels. Stopped taking them because I simply could not tolerate them as they caused terrible leg pains and just felt terrible!! Thyroid test level was a 2.8 (per doc.). Recently was told I have high levels of magnesium in blood and should retest in six weeks? Family history of thyroid disease…..My Mom was hypothyroid. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Sandra

Forgot to mention when I asked my doctor about posssibility of hypothyroidism his reply was “your symptoms are the same as depression. I can prescribe something for that.”. I Am NOT depressed!

10. Shannon

I am hypothyroid, have heart PVCs or premature beats. Nine days after taking magnesium citrate and two days after being on 500-600 mg the palpitations and irregularity got better! I still have the irregular beats but the severity is not so often. I have not been on it long so it will take awhile to get into my cells. I also have muscle twitches all over under my skin and anxiety and depression. I am also using magnesium oils and lotions since I cannot tolerate more than the oral dose I mentioned due to the bowel issues. I strongly agree that magnesium works. I was near losing my sanity and quality of life and feel that it is slowly coming back.

11. James

I have had numbness and tingling in my right foot and calf for at least 5 years. It was uncomfortable to walk and was often hard to sleep. I went to several doctors to no avail.
    After I started taking Magnesium gluconate at 600mg/day, all my symptoms went away. I have
    intemittent diarrea problems and am looking into reducing oral magnesium and taking some
    by nebulizer or by spraying epson salt solution on my skin and rubbing it in. Does any one have a solution to my problem. If I reduce the oral Magnesium my symptoms come back.