More on Acella desiccated thyroid….plus RT3 ratio calculator fine tuned!

Yesterday, I had a friendly and informative conversation with Philip Vogt, the President of Acella Pharmaceuticals, and Ellen Gettenberg, Director of Marketing.   Acella is the company which brought out a generic form of desiccated thyroid, and which first caught the eye of thyroid patients in November, 2010.  And I want to pass onto you what I learned:

Acella is different: Acella Pharmaceutical is not like the gigantic pharms we often hear about. Instead, they attempt to target the under-served markets, producing medications for particular niches of treatment, or those which are low-profile medications.  They also seek to produce lower-priced competitive versions of certain medications while keeping the quality.

How they make their version of desiccated thyroid: When it specifically comes to its desiccated thyroid, they go by older version “recipes” – using more dextrose (sugar) and less methylcellulose.  But in their case, the tablets are stated to contain NO cellulose.  That is actually good.  Their tablets are also not as hard-pressed as Armour seems to be now. I’d love to hear from folks who’ve been on Acella if they have tried to it sublingually, and what the results were.

The ingredients: Acella does a 65 mg tablet (update: this is now 60 mg).  The desiccated thyroid is speculated to come from the same manufactured source as do Armour and Naturethroid. Each 65 mg grain contains 38 mg T4 and 9 mcg T3 (plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin). The inactive ingredients are calcium stearate, dextrose monohydrate, maltodextrin and mineral oil.

************************

ABOUT THE RT3 ONLINE CALCULATOR on STTM: My brainy techs have added three more combinations to the calculator, so it is now ready-to-go to help you figure out your ratio: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio So far, the feedback is very positive and we have seemed to remove all kinks. REMEMBER: you need to put your Free T3/total T3 in first, then all the measurements will appear for the RT3.

WHEN TESTING YOUR THYROID LEVELS: remember NOT to take your desiccated thyroid, or your T3-only, before labs. The T3 rises consistently after you take it, giving you false-high reading and freaking your clueless doctor out.  **Picture doctor, eyes bugged out like a giant wasp, looking at lab result** With desiccated thyroid, the T3 will peak in approx. 2 hours; with T3-only, it can take approx 4 hours to peak.  Recommend labwork found here.

NEED A GOOD PATIENT GROUP OR ONE-ON-ONE CONSULTATION? Go here.  Of course, the groups are free and can be very helpful. Or, you can choose a paid consultation with Janie, which seems to be extremely helpful for those who want more immediate feedback and help.

TYPICAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS about thyroid, treatment, more issues:  www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/common-questions-answers

61 Responses to “More on Acella desiccated thyroid….plus RT3 ratio calculator fine tuned!”

1. Cheryl Benkert

My 18 yo ds and I are both taking the Acella sublingually –
    -it is sweet
    -it does take a few minutes to break down, so I bite it in half and then stick it under my tongue,
    -it is not as gritty as the Naturethroid (which I was on for 2 months)
    -I did notice a “smell” when I first got the bottles (I never was on the “old” Armour, but wondered if that’s what it smelled like) I don’t notice it now.
    -as far as effectiveness, it seems to be about the same as the others I have taken – (all better than synthetic T4!)

Cheryl in southern Utah

2. Sally

I’m taking Acella sublingually and like it much better than Naturethroid. It dissolves quickly and has a sweet taste, not at all chalky. My dose is 150 mg., so I’m taking 2 and a half 60 grain tablets. It’s not hard to split. I’m going to stay with it!

3. Gayle

I have been taking NP Thyroid by Acella since December. I find it sweet, it dissolves under the tongue in 10-15 min (even faster if I am taking a B-12 sublingually) and I am taking 3 grains instead of the 3-3/4 grains of the new Armour. It does have a faint smell, but who cares! I am buying it from Walgreens with the “W” discount card, which costs $20 a year. My price with the discount card for my last order was $27.44 for 360 one grain tablets (a three month supply–my doctor wrote the prescription for 4 per day so I could adjust if I needed to). It’s always cheaper to buy a three month supply rather than one month–you know, buying in bulk. The regular price without the discount card is around $60. I have “very good” health insurance, but still find that the co-pay for several medications is quite a bit more than buying them with the discount. So anyone without insurance should not worry about the price of their thyroid medication–it is less than $10 a month for 4 grains a day. Can’t beat that for having your life back!!!

4. Tina

I just started on the NP Thyroid 30mg switched from Synthroid. Switched on April 5th…still very fatigued and low mood. I am trying sublingual much to my pharmacist’s dismay. Since I am new to this method I am not sure if I am doing it right. The pill does not completely dissolve …it leaves particles under my tongue….Is this normal? Very light sweet taste …the residue left under my tongue has no taste….

(From Janie: not all desiccated thyroid tablets can be done well sublingually. Erfa’s Thyroid from Canada is currently the only one. Armour used to be that way, which we loved, but Forest Labs cares less about patient opinion and changed it. The residue may be the excess and ridiculous cellulose. You can also try adding a little sugar to help with dissolution)

5. Starrie

So, is the conclusion that this is something those of us currently on ERFA thyroid can consider switching to? I would really like that because I find ordering from Canada expensive and a hassle. What is your opinion, Janie?

(From Janie: I think you can consider it. I am personally staying on Erfa for the time being, as I like that I can do it sublingually, no matter if someone else criticizes sublingual administration for the wrong reasons. lol )

6. Starrie

Thanks, Janie. Sublingually is a must for me, too. ;) I might consider trying it later this year as I am currently 6 months pregnant and don’t want to mess with my levels right now.

7. Bill T.

I just recieved my script for ERFA and noticed instantly the tabs were different.I took it anyway within 2 days,I noticed hypo symptoms immediately.So i called them up only to find out what I already knew it also has been reformulated. So it seems ERFA has fallen to the same circumstance.What a shame.

8. Danielle

Bill T – I contacted ERFA yesterday to inquire about this as I take them, too. This was the reply:

Thank you for contacting Erfa Canada Inc. I can assure you that our formula has not changed since 30 years and we do not intend to change it. We are regulated by Health Canada and a change in the formulation is something we can’t and do not want to do.

9. Amy Weber

I just started a half grain of Acella NP Thyroid today-to replace the T-4 I have been on for 12 long years. I am only supposed to be taking a half of a half grain, but the tablet is so small it would not split evenly with my pill splitter.
    I think a quarter grain is too small of a dose to start on, especially since I have been on 112 mcg of levothyroxine for more than six months…so I will have to see. I feel ok so far today. I got mine from Walgreens as well, but I will have to check out the discount card, and ask my doctor to write the script differently so I can get three months at a time. The Acella was no problem to do sublingually. Slightly sweet, took about 15 min. Great idea to do it with a sublingual B-12. Thanks!

(From Janie: Amy, be very careful with staying on such a low dose much longer than a week without raising. Learn from other patients: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/things-we-have-learned )

10. Judy R

I get my thyroid meds from Canada via Universal Drug. I am not sure, but believe it is ERFA. It was a good substitute for the Armour Thyroid when Armour was no longer available. However, this January I began taking a new refill, and had about 2-3 months of problems that I finally determined was the new prescription. I called Universal Drug and they told me this was the same prescription, however it came from another country because at the time it was renewed, the supply was not available from Canada. Needless to say, I requested another order and specified I wanted no order to come from another country (such as Taiwan). After receiving a new order, my symptoms nearly immediately disappeared. I always recommend to my friends that I take these sublingually along with B12, which made a noticeable difference when I learned on this website to do this. Thank you STTM!

11. Rosie

I was a happy camper on the old Armour thyroid, since the reformulation, not doing as well but still take it because it doesn’t have talc or mineral oil or cornstarch added to it. These are ingredients that I do not want to put into my body. I break up the Armour with my teeth and let it sit under my tongue for awhile sometimes all of it disappears and other times when I don’t want to wait a long time for it to dissolve, after breaking up the tab will then swallow with water. My daughter takes ERFA and she’s OK with it but I don’t see her doing as well as when she was on the old formula for Armour. Too bad, that we are looked at as $$$$$ instead of fellow human being in need of help.

12. Kym

I just started Acella’s NP Thyroid today. Will let you know the results as I DESPISE the New Armour! Janie, why can’t other dessicated pills be taken sublingually? What’s the difference? Has anyone been on NP Thyroid long enough to give some updates?

13. Kat

I just started taking Acella NP and really like it. For me, it’s much, much better than Naturethroid or the new Armour, which left me very hypothyroid and sent me into severe adrenal fatigue. I have been taking Acella sublingually and it dissolves just fine. I can feel it kick in and give me an energy boost just like the old Armour did. Back when I took the old Armour, I didn’t get much absorption from it when I took it sublingually, so I’m surprised that the Acella NP works for me in this manner.

Thanks Janie for this great website. It’s really been a lifesaver for me!

• Karen Gardner

Hi Kat. Are you still taking NP Thyroid I just started it today and I feel good. Like the old Armour. I just took it with water. Mood is lifted. It s a blessing. Hope this feeling lasts. How much do you take So far I took 1 grain and I will take another 1/2 around 3 pm. Hope this company does not stop making or reformulates. Thanks. Karen.

14. Cathy

I switched from Armour to NP a few weeks ago and really like it a lot better so far. I never felt right on the Armour and I was on it for a year…and I am on a lower dose of the NP and feel better. This is very encouraging

15. Hilary

I’m also having a problem with my latest bottle of ERFA from Universal Drugstore. I’ve been on ERFA about a year (always through Universal Drugstore) and was loving it until the last bottle, which came from Canada instead of New Zealand. Hypo symptoms returned in a week. I’ve ordered another refill to see if it was just a “bad batch” but I’m calling my doc today to get a scrip for NP in the meantime. I’m so happy and relieved to hear good things about it. I’ve been meaning to try it but was loving my nice, cheap, reliable, three-month supplies of ERFA…until now.

16. Roberta Rose

Is the new NP thyroid gluten free? I see it contains malodextrin as a filler and that can be made with wheat. Does anyone know for sure? I’ve read about some people with celiacs getting sick from it.

17. Stacy

Would love to read more comments from people who have been on the NP thyroid for a long enough period of time to see if it is working for them :) Hopefully, people are having good results. This website is a blessing..

18. Thyroidgirl

UPDATE TO LAST POST. I called Acella and they told me there were no issues with NP Thyroid availability. Then called my pharmacist. The pharmacist who told me NP Thyroid was not available was mistaken, and was thinking of Nature-throid. Big relief for me, but may be an issue for any of you currently doing well with Nature-throid.

19. Karen

I was feeling great on the original Armour. I then was switched to NP thyroid by Acella. It is not working per blood test results and how I am feeling. I am considering Erfa now.

20. Connie

Your website if fantastic, you know I have a new rx from universal drugs and I have been expieriencing symptoms, weight gain, swollen ankles, fatigue, low temp, had a new test and indicates low levels, and now I read Erfa has changed ???

(From Janie: Rumor. Just raise it)

21. judy Porter

I’ve had blood work done and all are in a good range with the NP Thyroid made by Acella

Used Erfa from Canada. I would still be on it except for this. My insurance covers almost all of the cost. Paid under $3 dollars for 120 1 grain tablets. I think out of pocket price would be around $100 by the time it was shipped. That’s the other thing. I do not like my thyroid meds going through the mail system and exposed to all types of temperatures. The Canada store was great to me and meds arrived as soon as three days. You can order by 100s. We usually ordered 500 at a time and they come in the Erfa’s bottle with information and sealed. Erfa has always been the same with each batch. It does have label of Erfa. Of course you need a written doctor scrip for dessicated thyroid. We just sent them email as an attachment. Then I liked paying by phone. We had an account with them after our first order. Erfa or Acella’s thyroid are good.

22. Elizabeth

I switched from Armour to NP thyroid Acella and have been very pleased. The Acella dissolves very quickly compared to the Armour. I feel better since switching to the Acella. I have been taking it for six months.

23. Tiffany

Is it true that Acella has stopped making np thyroid? Went to get rx filled yesterday at walgreens and was told this!!! I need my meds…i finally feel great and never want to be without them!

(From Janie: everyone is still able to get NP Thyroid. Try another pharmacy.)

24. Sheila

I have used the NP Thyroid for about 4 months now. Everytime I refill, I feel great and loose a couple of pounds, but only for 1 to 2 weeks. Then, I start getting the hypo feelings all over again. Is anyone else experiencing this? I wonder, if my refills are from an old lot or have they reformulated since December 2011?

(From Janie: you may not be on enough. Join patient groups for good feedback: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

25. Sheila

Janie, first I want to say that your work and website give me more help than I have felt for ten years. Thank you!

Also, I have a question. I wanted to supplement with Selenium & Milk Thistle seed. I purchased selenium (L-selenomethionine)200MCG and noticed on the ingredients that it contains microcrystalline cellulose & modified cellulose gum. The Milk Thistle Seed 30:1 Extract 150 MCG contains cellulose.

My questions is, will the cellulose in these supplements cause absorbtion issues with my NP Thyroid? Because I read that some people take their selenium with their thyroid meds to help absorbtion, but I also read that an absorbtion problem with the new Armour Thyroid is caused by the addition of cellulose. I just don’t want to cause myself to go through that again!

(From Janie: possibly. And I see no need to take them together anyway. It’s your serum and cellular levels of selenium that will. Do NP Thyroid sublingually, too. For further exploration on this, here are great patient groups: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

26. Hilary

Just wanted to include an update on ERFA from my last post on Aug. 15. After a year of very good results, I got a “bad bottle” of ERFA and switched to NP from Acella. I really do like the Acella so I stayed on it BUT I did order another refill of the ERFA to see if it was just that one bottle that was bad (or something weird happened in transit, like temperature change, etc.) ANYWAY, the next bottle of ERFA was FINE. So now I’m on both Acella (orally, a.m.) and I’m taking ERFA as my afternoon dose sublingually. Win/win.

27. Melissa

Just took my first dose of Thyroid NP today (and 1st time sublingually-didn’t know about this procedure until recently)after being on Armour for 12 yrs. Very curious to see if I can see or feel any differences. When doing some research online there were some websites that stated that it did not make a difference to take your thyroid meds sublingually that the molecules were too large to be dissolved. Anyone have any additional info? BTW, I was shocked to see the price of a 3-month prescription was ONLY $2.15 – WoW! If this really works and costs this much it will be a God-send!

(From Janie: too many folks over the years have noticed a difference when taking NDT sublingually to believe those websites which say otherwise. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others for patient groups)

28. Adrienne

Thank you so so much Janie for such a great website and book! I just switched from Levo. and T3 combo to Armour 6 days ago. I am stil looking for a pharmacy that carries NP Thyroid in my area. So far I feel OK, although my temps have been low and the lowest this morning. I am taking 1&1/2 grains, chewing or letting the pills dissolve. I hope things get better.

29. Brigitte

Hello all,

Do You know if NP Thyroid is available just now? I take it since one Year and have heared that there are problems with Acella to order.

this will be horrable if i cannot take Armour or others because of cellulose…

thanks for answers
    have a nice day,

brigitte

(From Janie: it’s available)

30. Heather

I was on the old Armour, had to double my dose on the new Armour. It’s 100% legal to get the Canadian meds – just make sure you have a script to send/fax to them. I can also add that not once in 3 years did I have issues getting my Armour. I was just given NP Thyroid without asking in place of Armour today, so I’ll be trying it out & seeing how it does.

31. David

I have been on NP Thyroid by Acella and take it sublingually. It really is very easy to take and practically crumbles in your mouth. I also take Cytomel 5 mcg 2x a day along with 2x a day of NP Thyroid. I have never felt so good. Plus I have lost over 30 pounds and still going. The Hypothyroid had caused me to gain approx 80 pounds over a two year period before it was finally diagnosed correctly. I would recommend the NP Thyroid by Acella to anyone. It’s also extremely inexpensive. I pay less than $5.00 for 60 1 grain tablets.

Thanks Janie and keep up the good work on getting the word out.

32. Vikki

Hi, I’ve been on Erfa, but the last 2 orders I got this summer I went immediately hypo. I think the high heat caused a problem. I am running out of an old bottle of Erfa so my on my request doc prescribed Acella’s NP Thyroid. Kinda scared because New Armour made me very sick. I have no thyroid anymore and for some reason, I can’t take very much. (I take 90 mg’s a day. Split into 2 doses one 7:30 am, 2nd at 12 noon. I split one pill and take 1 and 1/2 pills each time.)Just wondering if this is like Erfa?

• Karen Gardner

Vicki. How are you doing on NP Thyroid going to start it today. Tried to order Erfa and it is on backorder they don t know how long. Thanks Karen

33. Narita

I was so glad to hear about that I am not the only one having trouble with Erfa. I have been on it a couple of years and done great until my last batch 6 months ago. About 2 weeks after taking it I noticed old hypo symptoms appear. I called them and the Canadian pharmacy and they assured me all is the same.
    During that time my mom died and a lot of very stressful events in my life so I chalked it up to that. Until now I just can’t deny these ARE hypo symptoms returned.
    I saw the NP thyroid here and am waiting on a call from my doctor to see if he will write me a script for it. Praying this will work. Like the old Armour did before they reformulated it. If I can get something in the U.S. that works I am good with that.

(From Janie: it’s true that a bad batch can appear here or there with any brand, not just Erfa. But also make sure that you haven’t fallen into low iron, which can cause T4 to convert to excess RT3 and thus a return of hypo symptoms)

34. Tammy

Question I have been taking synthroid for years and can’t get my dr to give me anything else! I have had just about all the symptoms such as weight gain no energy at all muscle cramps very tired all the time and I really want to try something else! I have read all the bad stuff about armour and other thryoid meds so I don’t want anything to make my symptoms worse as in hair falling out more weight gain etc… But I came across the site and everyone seems to have good things to say about this np throid, how can my get my dr to prescribe this since he keeps saying my labs are all in the normal range but I still feel like crap and feel like I am getting worse by the day???

(From Janie: Order the revised STTM book, read it, highlight it, underline it, and take it to your next appointment totally informed and assertive about what YOU want. http://www.laughinggrapepublishing.com If he won’t let YOU guide him, fire him and find a much better doctor.)

35. Deb

I think we might need a network of contacts to help steer our friends to Doctors that are open to testing Acella NP Thyroid. My fantastic Doctor believes that each patient is unique, and has to test various brands and formulations until the SYMPTOMS are satisfactorily resolved without risking overdose. He’s in southeast Florida.

Meanwhile, how do we double check our Doctor’s arithmetic? In switching from Synthroid/ Levothyroxine to the Acella, the measurements and calculations are confusing (to both of us).

I am taking this sublingually. I find the taste is NOT sweet at all. It is a little bit putrid/meaty, but tolerable. No they do not dissolve on their own. You will have to find a way to break them or they will stay undissolved for ages. The pills are hard to cut in half because they are so incredibly small and powdery, they just crumble.

(From Janie: Switching information is found in the revised STTM book from here: http://www.laughinggrapepublishing.com. And a great listing of doctors whom patients recommend is within the NTH Yahoo group, plus help from patients about switching: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others )

36. Farrell Gibbs

I had previously been on Levothroid since the 1980′s in August of 2012 they recalled it. The dr. tried me on the generic Levothyroxine 75mcg and it caused me to have irregular heartbeats and many other side effects, then he changed me to Synthroid and I really had a horrible experience. On the 20th of Dec. 2012 he put me on dessicated thyroid. I got it filled and it was Acella 1GR (60mg). The pharmacist suggested I take only half tablet for several days, then a whole one. I have been so weak and have stomach distress when I take it along with feeling cold and few other symptoms. I haven’t been back to the dr. but have an apt. coming up. Could it be that I am not taking enough or too much. My thyroid was removed in the early 1970′s and was on Armour until a dr. put me on the Levothroid in the 80′s for some reason.
    I just feel like I’m going to cave in on myself sometimes. Has anyone else had these reactions, etc.

(From Janie: Go here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mistakes-patients-make)

• Dani

Farrell Gibbs, your symptoms sound very much like the ones I experienced when my Celiac Disease got very bad (bad enough to get diagnosed, and bad enough that it was killing me). Acella does NOT appear to be gluten free. Maybe this is your issue, and maybe not. Hope you get it resolved!

37. Katherine

I took Naturethroid for over 10 years. Was on 2 grains and doing fine. Had a baby and could no longer tolerate the Naturethroid. Switched to compounded thyroid- went downhill on that. Dr switched me to Armour and that made my blood pressure shoot thru the roof and felt very hyper on it. That was a year ago.
    Every time I try Naturethroid, Armour, or compounded- I immediately go into hyperthryoid within 3 days. I had a cortisol saliva test and I do have low evening cortisol. I am anemic and have low iron storages as well as low on vitamin D and B12.
    I tried ERFA this week. Same thing – 3 days I felt wonderful and then crashed into hyperland.
    I don’t know what to do at this point. I have lost most of my hair, spent most of my money and have an active 2 year old to run after…. I need to feel better.

• Janie

Katherine, patients have learned that they need to get their iron up and low cortisol up to tolerate NDT. Compare your saliva and iron results to here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values Read Chapter 5 in the revised STTM book about adrenals, and page 181 onwards about iron.

• Karen Gardner

Hi Katherine. How are you doing now. Did you get your iron, Vit D and vit B up. What are you taking now Im having trouble with Armour. So I am going to start on. Np Thyroid today. Hope and pray it works like the old Armour.

38. Debby

Help please. New Armour no good for me, so I’ve been able, so far, to fill with NP Acella, but now pharmacy can’t find it? I’m going to mexico soon, short vaca, and when I tried to buy “natural” thyroid the last time, they didn’t know what I meant. Does anyone know the brand name of any sublingual (natural) thyroid in Mexico, so I can ask for / get the right stuff????

39. Keli Riesch

How come I can only take acella armour thyroid. I tried Forest Labs thyroid and I felt the difference. Shouldn’t they be the same. I feel just great on the one that says 329 on the pill. I take 45 mg a day, 30 in the early morning and the rest early afternoon. I thought I was having a heart attack when I tried synthroid. It has been a long kind of scary road to try to feel like a person again. I think I made it and would like to say thanks to you at accella.
    Keli

40. Nara

I have been taking NP Thyroid by Acella for almost two years and am doing great! The only problem is that since the first of 2013 I have had problems getting it filled. I am told – continually – that it is on backorder and that I will have to use something else for the time being. I use Walgreens in the US and they routinely give me Armour as the replacement without notice (my script is specifically for the NP Thyroid by Acella) and it does not work as well for me. Whether the issue is with Acella or not, since I am unable to consistently get NP Thyroid I am considering switching to another brand (NOT Armour – it does not work well for me). Any suggestions on what to switch to? I really want something that is gluten and GMO free, but I don’t know if that is available.

41. Ivette

I cannot buy any desiccated thyroid in Spain. They even didn’t know that it exists. (¬_¬) Why? I want to try it because I cannot lose any weight with Eutirox.

42. Sheila

Today my pharmacist told me that Acella will no longer manufacture NP Thyroid. I have used NP for 2 years and actually felt really good after 10 years of being miserable. Can anyone suggest a replacement? Erfa, natur throid, anything that will work???

• Janie

Do you know how many pharmacists have said that about different NDT’s over the years?? It’s never true. Let’s wait and see. This is not the first time a particular brand got behind for whatever reason.

• Julie

I just purchased NP Thyroid for the first time yesterday. The only problem I had was that I couldn’t get it in the 60mg size, and had to settle for 2-30mg for my dose. I switched from Armour because I noticed that it upset my stomach at times, and didn’t seem to be working as well.

43. Bridschid

I have a new delivering of NP Thyroid ACella and noticed, that they have change their Fillers! the new is very harder and cannot been taken under tongue –it seemes to be weaker than the old..especially on the T3 Effect..i think so…does anyone else also see this like me? I am thinking about to switch to another company may be RCL oder WP Thyroid…things like this makes me very angry…first armour. than erfa , now Acella…

44. Stacy

I just got my script refilled last week of NP (still being told there is a shortage) my pharmacy had to call several other pharmacies to fill my script this time just like they have been doing for months. I noticed within two days of starting the new bottle things weren’t right. It has been a week now and my hypo symptoms are back full force! Acella’s fb page is almost completely wiped out and you can’t post anything. I have tried to call them and nobody will return my calls! I have read other people’s comments on other sites saying the same thing. It seems that it has been reformulated and no return phone calls to answer if it has been reformulated for sure, and, if so, what was it reformulated with?! So, once again I am back to square one! So frustrating!

45. Crazy!

I tried to refill Armour today at a new place and he told me NP Thyroid came in instead because it was a new generic. What gives? Should I try it? From what I read its been around for awhile.

46. teresa

so is acella a generic for armour? is it still available now? do you think it works better than naturethroid? cannot take thee armour any more.

When Acella’s NP Thyroid first came out, it was touted as a generic. Later, they seemed to move away from calling it a generic. But yes, many patients love it. It’s similar to how the old Armour used to be.

• Deb

Just FYI, both the T4 and T3 in Acella’s NP thyroid are synthetic. I was told by my doc that NP was an “equivalent” generic to Armour, but my tests since then have shown a steady decline in both T4 and, especially, T3. My T3 level has actually plummeted and my T4 level is very, very low in the “normal” range. I don’t trust the ranges of most labs, as they are a lot broader than they should be. Since my doc moved away, my new provider at the same clinic refuses to change anything. On to a new search for a doctor. Anyway, just be aware that this is a synthetic product and, in some cases, doesn’t do much good.

Deb, NP Thyroid is desiccated porcine thyroid, not synthetic. Pharmaceuticals like Acella only mention the measured amounts of T4 and T3, and they use the typical synthetic names for T4 and T3, but the product is not synthetic. Your numbers fell for another reason.

47. Kristie

I have had a horrible time trying to fill my np script! Every pharm wants to give me Armour. In southeast michigan. Cvs and Walgreens both told me they don’t carry it and even if they did it’s no longer a generic for armour. Target ordered it special for me. I’m excited to try it.