More on Acella desiccated thyroid….plus RT3 ratio calculator fine tuned!

Yesterday, I had a friendly and informative conversation with Philip Vogt, the President of Acella Pharmaceuticals, and Ellen Gettenberg, Director of Marketing.   Acella is the company which brought out a generic form of desiccated thyroid, and which first caught the eye of thyroid patients in November, 2010.  And I want to pass onto you what I learned:

Acella is different: Acella Pharmaceutical is not like the gigantic pharms we often hear about. Instead, they attempt to target the under-served markets, producing medications for particular niches of treatment, or those which are low-profile medications.  They also seek to produce lower-priced competitive versions of certain medications while keeping the quality.

How they make their version of desiccated thyroid: When it specifically comes to its desiccated thyroid, they go by older version “recipes” – using more dextrose (sugar) and less methylcellulose.  But in their case, the tablets are stated to contain NO cellulose.  That is actually good.  Their tablets are also not as hard-pressed as Armour seems to be now. I’d love to hear from folks who’ve been on Acella if they have tried to it sublingually, and what the results were.

The ingredients: Acella does a 65 mg tablet (update: this is now 60 mg).  The desiccated thyroid is speculated to come from the same manufactured source as do Armour and Naturethroid. Each 65 mg grain contains 38 mg T4 and 9 mcg T3 (plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin). The inactive ingredients are calcium stearate, dextrose monohydrate, maltodextrin and mineral oil.

************************

ABOUT THE RT3 ONLINE CALCULATOR on STTM: My brainy techs have added three more combinations to the calculator, so it is now ready-to-go to help you figure out your ratio: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio So far, the feedback is very positive and we have seemed to remove all kinks. REMEMBER: you need to put your Free T3/total T3 in first, then all the measurements will appear for the RT3.

WHEN TESTING YOUR THYROID LEVELS: remember NOT to take your desiccated thyroid, or your T3-only, before labs. The T3 rises consistently after you take it, giving you false-high reading and freaking your clueless doctor out.  **Picture doctor, eyes bugged out like a giant wasp, looking at lab result** With desiccated thyroid, the T3 will peak in approx. 2 hours; with T3-only, it can take approx 4 hours to peak.  Recommend labwork found here.

NEED A GOOD PATIENT GROUP OR ONE-ON-ONE CONSULTATION? Go here.  Of course, the groups are free and can be very helpful. Or, you can choose a paid consultation with Janie, which seems to be extremely helpful for those who want more immediate feedback and help.

TYPICAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS about thyroid, treatment, more issues:  www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/common-questions-answers

76 Responses to “More on Acella desiccated thyroid….plus RT3 ratio calculator fine tuned!”

1. Shauna

I don’t know about the other pharmacies, but with Walgreens you really have to go through a few hoops to get it. You call their ON-LINE number (877-250-5823) and specifically ask for NP thyroid by Acella. Just to make sure, I emphasized that it is NOT Armour thyroid. The NP thyroid by Acella is NOT listed in their line up of products on the site (weird huh?) You have to request it. Then there is a funny process you have to go through to get it to your local pharmacy. But on the upside, it is easier the next time! Good Luck!

2. Laura Fleckenstein

Jewel Osco and Marianos in Chicago area have it available within one day of request.

3. David

I’ve been getting 60 mg tablets of NP Thyroid from my local Publix without any problem. Oddly enough my insurance company classifies 30 mg as a T1 drug and 60 & 90 mg as T3. And my copay due to an increase from Acella just went from $14 to $26 in one month. Anyone have any idea why the dramatic price increase?

4. Krista

I started taking Armour a few months after switching from Levothyroxin. When I went in for a recent refill, my pharmacy gave me NP Thyroid without even asking me. I made them change it back to Armour. Not sure why they decided to change. It was more expensive…so maybe??

• Joan Fitler

Actually the Thyroid Np is a very good med…for me anyway. I took Armour for awhile and all of a sudden it stopped working for me so now its Thyroid NP by Acella :)

• Anna

Krista,

Have you been doing fine on Armour? I have been considering switching to it if I cannot get Acella, but most people seem unhappy with Armour these days…?

5. Tammy

I switched to Acella since Erfa is dealing with reformulation problems. I have been taking Acella for almost 2 months so far. I’m not having any problems taking it sublingually. They did not have Acella at any of the pharmacies where I live. I called my doctor & told them of the Erfa problem & I needed to find something else to take & I wanted to try Acella. The doctors office sent CVS pharmacy a script for the Acella. CVS ordered it & had it the next day. I paid $20 co-pay for 180 90 mg tablets, over a 90 day supply. I take 1 1/2 pills per day. I was paying $80 for 500 Erfa Thyroid tablets & it went up to $175. I would imagine the price increase has something to do with the porcine virus that ended up with millions of pigs slaughtered & another reason would be greed of course. I like the NP so I’m sticking with it.

6. Cathy Poland

How can I get Acella desiccated thyroid in Canada?

7. Anna

Still no news on the alledged reformulation of Erfa? I find it so strange that the company cannot find out what is wrong with it, or at least admit something seems to be wrong…I got a 500 ct bottle of 125 mg pills which made me feel like I had taken nothing all…all hypo symptoms returned with a vengeance.

8. Cathy Poland

I live in Canada, have been taking Erfa for years. I just started on a new batch and don’t feel very good. I’d like to get something from the US but don’t know how to get it as I need a US MD prescription. Help!