Deep sorrow and Condolences–Dr. John C. Lowe has passed on.

With great sorrow and condolences to all his family, I want to announce that Tammy Lowe, wife of John C. Lowe, has announced the passing of this beloved man and courageous champion for better thyroid care, Dr. John C. Lowe.

Please offer your condolences and praise of Dr. Lowe and all his accomplishments in the name of better thyroid care, by commenting on this blog. I will alert Tammy to it. If you are reading this via the Email Notification, click on then title of the post to put you back on the actual blog, and comment there.

A Special Tribute to my Husband,
Dr. John C. Lowe
1/22/1946- 1/9/2012
by Tammy Lowe

It is with deep sadness and a broken heart that I write this letter to inform you that Dr. John C. Lowe died suddenly January 9, 2012 due to complications following a head injury that he sustained on November 14, 2011.

I’ve spent the last few days searching for the right words to share this news and to honor the man that I have known and loved for the majority of my life, but the words seem so small and insubstantial to the man that he was. One only has to read the many pages of www.drlowe.com, www.thyroidscience.com, and www.thyroidscience.us to know that John’s passion and dedication to the field of thyroidology and fibromyalgia was his reason for getting up every day and spending countless hours boldly offering his strong opinions in the field. There were no vacations in our life together, no tee times on the golf course, no boating on the beautiful waters or walks on the sandy beaches in Florida where we live. His happiest moments were spent at the desk he loved, surrounded by his many wellread, tattered books, and typing the words that would eventually make their way to the websites for his readers to find them. They say a genius is someone of great intelligence and I do believe that John was a genius in his field. His greatest magnum opus, of course, was The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia, the textbook that took him 10 years to write. Imagine the dedication to complete such a task.

In the final months since his head injury – John was able to accomplish several things despite impaired vision in his right eye and a broken collar bone. He proudly completed a forward to a book titled ‘Recovering with T3‘ by Paul Robinson and a forward for the book, The Hormone Zone, by Dr. John Robinson. He also conducted an interview for Dr. Mark Swanson that will soon be published. And finally, he was also working to complete his own book, ‘Safely Getting Well With Thyroid Hormone’ and was preparing to have it in print within a few weeks.

The website’s will remain as they are. His compassionate words will still be there. I will try to find the newsletter that he was working on and send it (incomplete or finished by my hand). The Thyro-gold will also continue to be available. John believed in it so strongly. I will try to find the clinical trial results and post them for the benefit of those who rely on the product. There are so many documents that he was writing that remain unfinished but I will do my best to sort through them and share them when I can.

What final words can I offer to you all at this sad time? For those of you who knew him personally, who spoke with him on the phone, who met him face-to-face, shook his hand or offered a hug in gratitude – you will join our daughter Michele and me in sorrow as we face this tragic loss together. For those of you who never had the privilege to know my husband personally, but read his writings, just know that he believed in his research and hoped that someday the TSH testing would be abandoned as the standard practice for thyroid health and that healthcare would return to the science-based treatment that it should be.

Remember the scientist that he was and continue to share his work with others who need it. Remember his voice for those
who felt they were never heard when they were in need of direction. Remember the extraordinary man that he was and help me maintain his everlasting presence.

86 Responses to “Deep sorrow and Condolences–Dr. John C. Lowe has passed on.”

1. Annie

What a sad day to hear this news.My condolences his familly
    en ewery one who are close to hem. We all will miss A briliant men wich helped many of ours, with Fibromyagia and Thyroid resistance.Dr.Lowe will be olways with us !’
    Never forgotten always in our hart. (Annie uit Holland )

2. Erin

Dr. Mercola and I were so saddened to hear Tammy.
    I am truly sorry.
    John helped us with many thyroid questions and even took the time to give me advice on hyperthyroidism that my old cat with which my cat had been recently diagnosed.

We had talked in emails of meeting you two and so sorry it never happened.

My thoughts, prayers and lots of strength to you during this time.

Erin
    Erin@Mercola.com
    🙂

3. anuvardeen

God will raise him to heaven, as he is a geneous man in the world who gave cure to all the people suffering from thyroid madness.
    I DEEPLY CONDOLE THE DEMISE OF DR. LOWE

4. Susan Halbert

We did not meet personally but talked on the phone. He gave me hope and helped me to carry on.
    I wish his family strength in the days ahead.
    God bless you.

5. Enrique Candioti

Tammy I feel like crying right now. OMG! We lost a true legend and a genius. I had a long phone consultation with John a few years back and it changed my life. He was an incredible wealth of knowledge to all of us.

Please accept my deepest condolesences. John will live forever in our hearts and will never be forgotten.
    Love and light,

Enrique

• Lubna

Hi,

I am suffering with Hypothyroid for last 18 years. I kept going to many different doctors but none of them helped me. My symptoms never go away. Finally, I found a chiropractic and she told me that I have Auto Immune Problem which is effecting my thyroid and she gave me Thyro- Gold to try. I am taking it and feeling better.

Thanks
      Lubna

6. Anne HeLal

Dearest Tammy, I finally checked my email today and how saddened and shocked I was to read your letter. I cried today as I shared the news with my daughter’s doctor, several close friends and my husband. He felt I should share with you that your husband was such a blessing to my daughter, then 8, and an answer to prayer for direction and healing for her in her “thyroidless” little world! He consulted with me several times via the phone and was instumental in helping me, as her mother, figure out just what was wrong, as she had t4 conversion issues, and needed t3 to become well. It was a scary time as she was even beginning to have heart issues as her organs were not getting the t3 they needed for her body to function properly. He was a light of sanity and clarity in a dark tunnel….like a “guardian angel” to my little girl who was born without her thyroid gland. I told my husband that there is no doubt that he is an angel in Heaven with a big crown and a glowing robe, as God knows and rewards a sincere and beautiful heart and kindness and caring for others, especially to a child, such as mine! Alexis Grace HeLal(he has a picture and file about her somewhere I’m sure)is now 11 and healthy in every way…. Thanks to God and to Dr. Lowe and a few other caring souls out there whom He has sent our way! I just wanted you to know that he made a difference in a little girl from Texas’ life! Please know that we are praying for you and your daughter in this time.

7. Mary Grice

I am deeply saddened to hear the news of Dr. Lowe’s passing. Thyroid patients have lost a friend and champion who dared to challenge mainstream medicine’s “one size fits all” treatment of hypothyroidism. My sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to the many thyroid patients who mourn this tremendous loss.

8. Alana

I’ve been so shocked and saddened by this news. Dr Lowe was one of the few people in this world that helped me feel sane when everyone else was telling me I wasn’t. I remember hearing him speak on those 2 STTM Talkshoe episodes (soon after I discovered STTM and the real reasons for all of my symptoms – 15 years after I started experiencing them – 8 years after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on thyroxine), saying, amongst many other very interesting things, that he had done scientific research that proved that the TSH and FT4 tests did not significantly correlate with metabolic rate and that FT3 only mildly correlated with metabolic rate. I’ve been waiting for it to be published ever since and hope it still is one day (if it hasn’t been already?). But even if it isn’t published – the fact that he worked so hard to try and prove this sort of stuff gave me great hope of a much brighter future for myself and all the other thyroid/fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue patients around the world. His passing is a great loss to us all and he will be greatly missed. May his legacy live on through others… may change in the way thyroid conditions are diagnosed, treated and managed change for the better and soon.

My sincere condolences to Dr Lowe’s family and friends.

9. Monica Koziol

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Dr. Lowe. I spoke with him when my mom and I needed help with Hashi’s a few times in the past and looked forward to his newsletters and papers for research. They showed both his compassion for people’s ails and brilliance! Please accept our condolences.

10. Monica Koziol

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Dr. Lowe. I spoke with him when my mom and I needed help with Hashi’s a few times in the past and looked forward to his newsletters and papers of research. They showed both his compassion for people’s ails and brilliance! Please accept our condolences.

11. Helen Macdonald

Dear Tammy, I was shocked to hear the news, I can only imagine how devastating it must be to you and your family. John was a pioneer, he was a genius in his field, and what’s more, a kind and gentle man. I always enjoyed talking with him and came away learning so much. He will be sorely missed by all those he helped. Deepest condolences to you and your family.

12. Michele Hamblin

Tammy, I spoke with you and your husband about three years ago via phone. Both of you were very kind and helpful. I had just fallen ill when I had spoken to you and was deeply confused. Through the last few years, I have been to several doctors for chronic fatigue/lyme issues, but my thryroid issues still exist. The thought kept entering my mind a few weeks ago to go back to Dr. Lowe, review his website, and call again with questions now that I understand a bit more. I also had hoped maybe I could get my current doctor and him in touch. I was so very saddened when I googled him and saw that we had lost him. I was actually feeling kind of selfishly about it. Like, suddenly I felt very strongly in my mind calling him again would be the right thing and he is not here. Then I realized that many times, strong ideas come from God. I do believe God is guiding me along the path to health and it’s so odd, I got the urge to call him right around the time he passed. But I have grown spiritually since my illness began, and I have learned that very little is coincidence. It is God. I believe God is still allowing him to be of help, and he has a special place in heaven. We are all only here for a brief time in reality and we are supposed to help others during our time on earth. He has been of help to countless people and, also, thanks to your help and willingness to keep his information available, he can continue to help many more. I do hope I have not offended you with such spiritual talk.

13. Jennifer

With tears in my eyes, I write this hoping that his wife, understands how greatly appreciated her husband and her own (no walks, vacations, outings) dedication and sacrifice are appreciated. For those of us who suffer with thyroid issues and the dibilitating lifestyle that mainstream doctors torture us with, doctors like your husband who defend the rights, lifestyles, and health of all of us suffering mean the world and quite frankly our lives. Thank you. I am deeply sorry for your loss.

14. rose

I am deeply saddened by the loss of this great doctor, who brought us go much love and care, along with his great knowledge and commitment to saving our lives. Thank you for sharing his love and commitment by keeping this site alive for all of us. Be peaceful, knowing that his dedication and brilliance live on after him, in each of us. We are so thankful to have known him, or known of him. Bless you both; always~

15. Margaret

I visited Dr. Lowe’s site today because I wanted to supplement my Armour with Thyro-Gold, and didn’t realize that this exceptional doctor was no longer with us, until I revisited STTM. What a shock to us all, to his lovely family that supported his incredibly caring work for those with pain that most doctors would not even begin to investigate. Sorrow, coupled with gratefulness, is in my heart, for the work that Dr. Lowe started, and hope that it continues. God Bless.

16. Jenny

I wanted to make sure that you and your readers were aware that Dr Lowe’s site at thyroidscience.us was apparently absconded by extended family who took legal action to control his estate. Orders that you make on the old site get no response, no reply and will not be fulfilled. I had to pursue via the distributor in Kansas some word as to what was happening and they said that the website had been basically shut down except for the purchase buttons that were allowing people to still order although none were being fulfilled through them as longtime distributors of the products and that they were out of stock. Paypal provides a lengthy process to retrieve money from these people who aren’t even bothering to respond to anyone trying to purchase supplements. I am still waiting for my refund.
    His wife Tammy Lowe has moved the site to a new location naturalthyroidsolutions.com
    She can be reached at the new website or by email at tammy @ naturalthyroidsolutions.com
    She has been wonderful about explaining what has happened and been a great help and support, hopefully the new site will have a way to donate to her ongoing work and she will be able to complete and publish the last book that she and Dr Lowe were working on at the time he died. Best of luck.

17. Geri

His T3-protocol designed as fibromyalgia treatment recoverd my wife fully from chronic Lyme. We’re indefinitely grateful to Dr Lowe, a real genius and visionary researcher.

18. David Wells, D.C., L.Ac., M.S. (Human Nutrition)

I am shocked and saddened to hear of your loss. I have used Dr. John Lowe’s book as the basis of my own study and treatment of thyroid disorders in my patients. I teach courses to acupuncturists on natural treatment of thyroid disorders, drawing heavily on Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia. Whenever I get a request from someone who has read a thyroid article on my website, I refer them to Dr. Lowe as I do not treat except in person. What a loss! You have my sincere condolences.
    David Wells, D.C., L.Ac. M.S., (Human Nutrition)

19. Keni Neal

A tremendous loss to the community of those interested in effective thyroid treatment!

Myself and many others I know have benefited greatly from his research and from using Thyro-Gold.

We are almost out of Thyro-Gold and desperately need to order more. Does anyone have information about the availability of Thyro-Gold?!!!

Regards,

Keni

From Janie: To order, call 1-888-281-5170

20. Karen Stell

I am so shocked and saddened to hear of Dr. Lowe’s passing. I am crying. He was truly a brilliant doctor. John saved my life. He was already writing his book when a friend of mine suggested I give him a call. I finally called him after I had exhausted every treatment available, and when the pain from Fibromyalgia was so bad I felt I could not go on. I left a message on his voice mail and finally fell asleep. He called as soon as he got the message at 2 am. He wanted to make sure I was all right. He was very compassionate. He told me he would treat me. I had hope again. Thanks to his treatment I have lived 15 years longer and going strong. Thank you for your sacrifices and support. I pray God will comfort your family and give you peace.

21. Evelyn Wood

In addition to my grief at Dr. Lowe’s death, I find it sad that the Dr. Lowe webpages and lifelong work are gone and it’s very difficult to find his information. Fortunately, I DID save some webpages to my computer. However, I wonder what companies were so threatened by his research and information.

(From Janie: http://www.thyroidscience.com/)

22. Bobbie Ingersoll

What a shock that he is gone. I finally bought his book last October, 2011. I have nothing but gratitude for this man’s work, which played a huge role in leading me out of the depths of illness the AMA had left me in after thyroid ablation for Graves’ Disease. Because I have 5 children and 8 grandchildren, and know how hereitary this disease is, Dr. Lowe’s book, The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia, is one of the most protected within my collection of books on thyroid illness. He has contributed hugely to the betterment of many thousands of people worldwide.

23. Carrie Cohill

Using the Archive.org website you can see some websites that have been removed from the Internet, such as John C. Lowe’s websites.
    Click on the link below. Then choose a blue dot to read a past version of Dr. Lowe’s websites.

To access http://www.drlowe.com go to:

To access http://www.thyroidscience.com go to:

To access http://www.thyroidscience.us go to:

24. Peggy

To his wife, Tammy, and his daughter, Michele, I offer my deepest condolences. There are few who are as dedicated and compassionate as he was, and whose life’s work was to improve and enrich he quality of life for their patients. In reading the comments, I was touched by the woman who said that she received a call at 2:00 am because Dr. Lowell was worried about her. As the old adage goes, “actions speak louder than words.” That one simple but very compassionate and uncommon (for others in the field) action, demonstrated the depth of his dedication to his profession and his patients. May God comfort you as you come to terms with this terrible loss, which is a loss not only for you, but for humanity as well.

25. Amanda Kay

I am so sorry to hear of this tragic loss and my thoughts and prayers are with Tammy, Michele and the wider family. Unfortunately I didn’t know about what had happened until I posted an email via the website, which had been cited through an online forum.

26. Robert Fredericks

I am now reading The Metabolic Treatment of Fibromyalgia and am disappointed to learn of Dr. Lowe’s death. I have a long standing interest in metabolism and have spent over 30 years considering the interactions between calciotropic hormones and thyroid resistance. I find that Dr Lowe and I share the same concerns regarding the need for evaluation of the evidence from a metabolic perspective. It now appears that the deeper processes that are foundational to his work are coming to light and I had hope that a collaboration would ensue. Is there anyone who is interested in the exploration of the advances in technology that bring to light the mechanisms that can inform the appropriate personalization of metabolic principles for patient care?

27. Robin Dyess

Dear Mrs. Lowe;
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. A great loss to all of us!! I am very grateful for the understanding and wisdom Dr. Lowe has left us with! It will help thousands…what a great legacy! I have been in the stream of understanding the thyroid after many diagnoses, the last was amyloidosis, and no answers or direction for help. I have just ordered Thyro-Gold and can’t wait to heal myself inspire of what Dr.’s have said, or NOT said! 🙂 I have HOPE for the first time in 57 years! Thank you for continuing to fight to keep the path to the knowledge Dr. Lowe found open for all who will benefit! Extravagant Blessings….

28. Ellen

Back 10 years ago, after a total thyroidectomy 98 and 15 doctors later, I finally said I know “I am sick I must have fibromyalgia” and starting searching the web and found Dr. Lowe’s website paving the way to health or better yet bringing the dying back to life. It was a long sought out answer to my agony all those years. It is with great sadness to learn about his death and to know what grief this has brought Tammy. I want to say thank you to them both. I only found out recently that Dr. Lowe passed because I periodically distribute his website for others around the web that post about their suffering from lack of adequate thyroid replacement. May heaven have a special place for John C. Lowe and all that join him.

29. Kris Kern

I’ve been recommending my clients with FM seek out Dr Lowe’s information for years. It’s only because I’ve just been doing it twice in the last week that I discovered his passing and was shocked to find out. I’m in Australia and know that his work and dedication to getting his message out has helped many people around the world recover from misery and suffering. So sad to know that he’s gone.

30. Peta Cunningham

Dear Tammy
    I have only just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have been researching everything I can find. I cannot begin to say how sad I am to hear your beloved husband has passed away. I was in the process of finding contact details to tell him how relieved and overjoyed I was to find an extract of his work on Thyroid UK. I know it has given me hope – and from what I have read about John, he was an amazing man, a brilliant Doctor and tireless researcher. I send you my heartfelt condolences. Peta, Scotland UK.

31. Karen

Can thyrogold still be bought, have hypo/hasti and would like to switch to thyrogold, an where can it be bought? Thanks

• Jamie

@Karen, I’m using it and have bought it. Just google ThyroGold.

32. Rjoz

I went to college with John and took a road trip with him. He was a very cool guy, always.

33. Ed Arnold

Tammy: John’s passing was a huge loss, especially, to all the thyroid patients who literally regained their lives due to his work. One thing that is puzzling me is that I would expect John’s great wisdom to live on in his written works. However, I have found it is currently impossible to purchase a copy of “Tyranny of the TSH” from any of the usual book sources like Amazon, Openlibrary, etc. Is there any plan to make his books available again at some point in the future?