Companion Nutrients: The Key to Success on the Iodine Protocol

ImportantCompanionNutrients(Though this blog post was written at the tail end of 2013, it’s information is JUST as applicable today!! Enjoy!!)

The following informative Guest Blog Post was written by thyroid patient Jane. She is a mother and a member of the Weston Price Foundation. Years of battling a very painful disease, and experiencing the indignity and futility of mainstream medicine for managing chronic illness, led her to a path seeking true health, which included her use of iodine. Jane states: The iodine protocol has given me back my energy, cleared brain fog and erased the pain of fibrocystic breast disease.  After extensive reading and over a year on the high iodine protocol, I’m personally convinced it is one of the best things you can do to help solve a wide range of major health problems, and ensure good health for many years to come.

*********************

The entire body uses iodine, not just the thyroid.  Various tissues and organs are designed to concentrate large amounts which are necessary for their normal structure and function. Conversely, low iodine levels are associated with autoimmune thyroid disease, breast cancer, thyroid cancer, goiter and fibromyalgia, as well as cysts and nodules of the breast, thyroid and ovaries.

Iodine researchers Drs. Abraham, Brownstein and Flechas tested 35,000 people – and 96% are deficient in this nutrient!

So why do so many people state that they cannot take iodine due to a reaction?

The answers may lie with what are termed the “companion nutrients”, which was coined by Lynne Farrow of the Iodine Workshop group. Each of these nutrients are critical to the success of the Iodine Protocol, and thus is essential to the proper working of your body.  Those companion nutrients are as follows:

• Selenium (see note below) – 200 – 400 mcg per day
  • Magnesium – 400 – 1200 mg per day
  • Vitamin C – 3,000 – 10,000 mg per day
  • Vitamins B2/B3 (ATP CoFactors) – 100 mg riboflavin and 500 mg no flush niacin, inositol hexanicotinate form, 1-2x per day
  • Unrefined Salt (Celtic) – 1/2 tsp. or more per day

[Note: the above amounts are recommended dosages given in the writings and lectures of the iodine researchers listed above.  They are not to be used as medical advice.  For your particular health concern, you should consult an iodine literate practitioner – one who uses high amounts of iodine in their practice regularly and has read the research published at Optimox.com and in Dr. Brownstein’s book “Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It”.]

Note about selenium from Janie Bowthorpe: it can be important to test your levels before getting on selenium. Because of the MTHFR mutation, some people can have high levels, and being on selenium came make that worse with side effects to match, such as hair loss and more.

Here are the reasons why each of the companion nutrients are so necessary…

Selenium

• high amounts of iodine without selenium induces AIT (Auto Immune Thyroiditis) and goiter.
  • selenium + iodine reduces goiter and inflammation of the thyroid gland.
  • selenium supplementation reduces TgAb that may be elevated by taking iodine.
  • TPOAb antibody levels were inversely associated with selenium levels (if you have high selenium, you have low antibodies and vice versa).
  • selenium + iodine increases the regulatory immune cells which prevent the development of autoimmune diseases.
  • necessary for the body to produce glutathione peroxidase, which detoxes pesticides, mercury, chlorine and bromide.

Analysis of the medical literature is clear: selenium plus iodine is the best combination for thyroid health.  When iodine has been shown in studies to be damaging to the thyroid, it appears that concurrent selenium deficiency is the true culprit.

Not only that, if you are iodine deficient, selenium supplements “induce a dramatic fall of the already impaired thyroid function in clinically hypothyroid subjects”.  http://pmid.us/2045471

Therefore, if you are already hypothyroid, taking selenium supplements while iodine deficient will make you MORE HYPOTHYROID.

Please note that Brazil nuts are not a reliable source for selenium.  You have no way of knowing if the soil they are grown in is sufficient in this mineral.

Magnesium

• necessary for over 300 enzyme reactions in the body.
  • along with 100mg of iodine per day, improves patients self reported fibromyalgia scores.
  • along with iodine, improves autoimmune goiter, atrophy and fibrosis.
  • essential for the production of ATP, which is used for maintaining body temps and as a source of energy.

The iodine researchers found that what leads to development of autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s, Graves) is magnesium deficiency together with low iodine, low antioxidants, and high calcium.  Sounds like a description of the standard modern diet, heavy on the dairy and processed foods, doesn’t it?

Vitamin C

• heals the iodine transporter system which may be damaged by toxic halides.
  • aids cellular uptake of iodine.
  • key antioxidant that supports detox.

The iodine researchers found that some of their patients were excreting large amounts of iodine which was not being absorbed by the body.  Since these patients had known iodine-deficiency disorders, the doctors’ theorized that that they couldn’t possibly be iodine sufficient.  This was thought to be due either to a “defective cellular iodine transport system”, or due to a body load of large amount of environmental goitrogens such as fluoride and bromide that prevented the iodine from entering the cell.  Clinical improvements in their symptoms, and enhanced iodine uptake, was reached with 3 grams (3000 mg) or more of vitamin C in sustained release form.

[Author Note:  If sustained release is not available, I split my daily dose and take with breakfast, lunch and dinner.  And I always take it with bioflavonoids such as amla, camu or acerola powder.]

Vitamins B2/B3 (ATP CoFactors)

• supports production of adrenal hormones.
  • stimulates mitochondria to produce more energy.
  • aids proper oxidization of iodine in thyroid for AIT patients.
  • clears brain fog, chronic fatigue, pain and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.

It is no surprise that the protocol improves fibromyalgia.  The “striated muscles contain 33% of the total body iodine”.  If the muscles do not contain a high amount of the natural mineral iodine like they are meant to – it would make sense to me why they would not function well. Perhaps iodine deficiency is the key to the mystery of this disorder?

Unrefined Sea Salt

• supports adrenals and reduces oxidative stress.
  • kicks bromide out of the body through the urine.
  • relieves symptoms of bromide detox.
  • helps get iodine into the cells via the NIS (sodium iodide symporter).

Unprocessed salt is a necessary nutrient for many reasons – but on the iodine protocol, it can also be a real life saver!  The chloride in salt competes with bromide in the kidneys, so a person who is low in salt will hold on to more body-busting bromide.  At 6-10 grams per day, salt can increase the urinary excretion of bromide by up to 10 fold!

Salt Loading Protocol – Optional

From Dr. Shevin, based on the U.S. Military’s salt IV protocol for bromide intoxication. Relieves side effects that can result from bromide detox such as headache, acne, fatigue, etc.

Drink 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water, then followed immediately with 12-16 oz pure water.

Repeat in 30-45 minutes if needed.  May repeat again until copious urination begins, or until symptoms are relieved.

On a final note, if you are having reactions, try Pulse Dosing.

This means that taking a break from iodine, while continuing to take companion nutrients and salt each day, can allow your body to clear toxins more efficiently.

Recommended by Stephanie Buist ND if having reactions to iodine: Take iodine for 5 days with 2 days off while continuing to take the companion / supporting nutrients along with one of the other liver supporting products (such as Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root Extract, and Liver Cleansing products like Pure Zen Health TLC, Metagenics, Ultra Clear Plus.”

References and more information

The term “companion nutrients” was coined by Lynne Farrow!

Clinical results and research of Dr. Guy Abraham, Dr. David Brownstein and Dr. Jorge Flechas

Iodine and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis by Mario Renato Iwakura – Part 1 & 2 http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-i/   http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/05/iodine-and-hashimotos-thyroiditis-part-2/

Salt Your Way to Health by Dr. David Brownstein

Iodine Yahoo Group

Iodine 4 Health Facebook Group

STTM Iodine page, plus more in the Odds and Ends Chapter of the STTM book.

**Have you Liked the STTM Facebook page? It gives you daily inspiration and information!

160 Responses to “Companion Nutrients: The Key to Success on the Iodine Protocol”

1. Abby

Hi, please help if you can. I am 28 years old and for years have thought I have thyroid issues. Hair loss, difficulty losing weight and low body temps in the morning. I got a blood test about 3 years ago and the natural doctor said he thought I was hashi. Shortly after we moved to indonesia for missions work and I had no support for treating my condition. I am still so confused on what to do. I am GF now (for about 2 months) with no difference in hair loss or weight. I have never been on any meds for this. I want to do the Iodine protocol but don’t know how to do that with no doctor around to help me in indonesia. Where do I start? I am losing so much hair and its so scary… please help. Should I start with selenium and magnesium and vit c/b and then add iodine later?

• AnnaMaree Downing

I wanted to let you know that i have an integrated medicine practice speicalising in thyroid, autoimmune and hormones, in Ubud , Bali, Indonesia, if this helps ( i also do email consulting).. you need to get some baseline blood tests first : TSH, Free T3, Free T4. Vitamin D3, … miniumum , I personaly have hashimotos, and alopecia, , and am vital and healthy :). take care AnnaMaree

• Colin neil

We are coming to ubud in february where is clinic and contact details . Partner has over under active thyroid with over active symptoms . On thyroxine hope to get her off this asap . Contact details of clinic etc and any website thanks

• Michelle

Abby hair loss can also be from low iron, low biotin, b12 deficiency, and too little or excess copper. Inability to lose weight can be from low D or low taurine. My .02- pay for a hair test, the best (and cheapest) one I’ve seen is $129, it shows you your levels of EVERYTHING, and then you’ll know what to do and which direction to take.

2. Cindi

If you suspect Hashi’s I would definitely start the co-factors first especially the selenium by at least 2 weeks. If you don’t have a Dr to guide you, get Dr Brownstein’s book, that Janie mentions above and follow his recommendations. It is now available as an ebook download from his website, in case you can’t get it where you live now. http://www.drbrownstein.com

3. Jolene

My ten yr old son was diagnosed with hypo about 3 months ago. He is on 25 mg of lexo Im looking to change meds but cant get into a endo for 2 more months. He is still gaining weight and his anxiety is still very high. I would like to start this iodine protocol but are the dosages the same for kids? Thx for any help

4. Cortnee Ingram

Hi there. I recently added selenium to my regimen and both times I’ve tried it I get really angry and tired. Why would this be when it’s supposed to be a super supplement for people with hashimotos?

Any help would be great. I am seeing a functional doctor and she has me on all the right supplements but this one my body can’t handle? My husband is always wanting to leave me cause I’m so mean. I hate myself too. It sucks!!

• Shilah

Cortnee, sorry about your difficulties. I do sympathize ! …please read that part again, from the section on Selenium : “…Therefore, if you are already hypothyroid, taking selenium supplements while iodine deficient will make you MORE HYPOTHYROID….” in other words, makes you WORSE OFF. Sounds to me like that may be what happened then ? You are a complicated marvel of design, delicately balanced; usually there is more than one factor to take into account. Did you take selenium with an eye towards also staying balanced re. iodine intake? Are you supporting your adrenals? do you have a hidden candida problem? are you iron-deficient? do you have too much estrogen? have you been on birth-control in the past couple years? (it took me 2 full years to recover HALFWAY from being on the pill for just 2 years)… please look into it, you are worth it & your hubby will benefit so much from having you in his life. 🙂

• Jill

So does this mean she should stop selenium until her iodine levels are up? But iodine may not be as well received without selenium? What is the concrete recommendation here? I think I have had similar issues with adding in selenium, so am curious what to do! THanks!

• Kimberly

I’ve read extensively on Hasi, hypothyroidism and iodine. I can’t find one research study that says selenium alone will increase hypothyroidism….it’s always the opposite. Selenium can cut Hashi titers in half. This post could be detrimental to many

There is a research study listed in the article above that states that. It’s about taking high dose selenium when iodine is low that may cause it according to the study. It’s just worthy to note, just in case. But yes, selenium with the right amount of iodine does lower TPO antibodies, we’ve noted.

• Kimberly

Thank you, Janie…you are always so gracious. I see the one small study from Zaire but it’s hard to know what other factors played into the result….nutritional status, other health factors like adrenals, etc. I was just very surprised to see you giving a thumbs down to selenium. Most of the studies I’ve seen have overwhelmingly shown a decrease in titers, even with selenium alone. So much to know with this complex subject!

Hi Kimberly. You misunderstand. I am very pro-Selenium. The study was just mentioned by the writer that selenium could be a problem in the presence of low iodine. Otherwise, selenium has always done a bang up job lowering TPO antibodies and so much more. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/selenium

• Cheryl

I am suffering greatly I do not have a thyroid I had thyroid cancer they removed all that and a lymph node since then I am on Armour Thyroid 90 I feel awful overweight losing hair wherever I look for help no one ever addresses help for people who don’t have a thyroid is iodine good for me What happens to people who don’t have thyroid how do we feel better please help

Hi Cheryl. Yes, people in your shoes DO feel better! The problem is that you are probably seriously underdosing yourself, which also makes us worse!! Study this page and see where it talks about what “optimal” is: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101 It’s NOT about the TSH either.

Yes, iodine use has more benefits that just what it does for one’s thyroid. It’s also stated to be anti-cancer, and in many women, has gotten rid of fibrocystic breast disease, including me!

• paul

can’t say this will solve your problem but…

i tried for a couple of years to get the right selenium/iodine ratio. when i searched the forums for the correct ratio or protocol to ramp up i just found others with the same problem.

later i started preformed vitamin A from fermented cod liver oil. then i started to hide grass fed organic beef liver (preformed vitamin A) in my chilli at the rate of 1part liquified liver to 10 parts ground beef (for its texture).

some time later just for the hell of it, i tried lugol’s iodine and selenium glycinate again. problem solved. since then i’ve tried and succeeded with 2-12 drops of lugol’s with 200-800 micrograms of selenium glycinate — maybe once every week or two. no tiredness at all which just wasn’t the case before.

my theory is that getting the load off my thyroid to convert beta carotene to vitamin A somehow resolved the earlier problem. i am surmising.

5. Jeanette

Note for type 1 and 2 diabetics, and folk suffering from autoimmune issues:

Vitamin K2 production in the body can be very low, alongside D3 and retinol (Easily absorbably vit A).
    Vit K2 is essential to kidney health. Bromide and floride detox happens alongside dieoff symptoms (of intercellular infections like excess candida yeastiebeasties- these drive up insulin resistance and the many symptoms of diabetic problems like renal damage, loss of eyesight, etc.) when you take aggressive iodine dosages.

In trying Iodine, I’ve found a b-complex vitamin with co-enzymated B’s (very important) works perfectly with the magnesium recommended above (in magnesium taurate form), and do not raise blood sugars.
    As a type 1 diabetic, my kidneys have been complaining a lot about passing toxic halides and oxylates and infectious-agent dieoff material, when on higher doses of Iodine. The emotions swing a good deal during the iodine treatment too, because many halogens get shunted back out of the brain.
    K2 has been a lifesaver for me when my kidneys started complaining, and it stopped the tooth-looseness and many of the mental strains of clearing out unwanted halides. I find the MK4 form to be most effective, in doses higher than 1000mcg a day. K2 MK4 is metabolized from K1 from dark green vegetables, but diabetics have a lower ability to create this vitamin- it’s especially used in the kidneys to prevent the formation of kidney stones, together with magnesium.

Boron is also a co-factor of iodine, and prevents the spillage of magnesium and K2.

In general, use discretion and patience with supplementing- iodine is exceptionally powerful, and it’s freaky when you don’t quite know how to analyse the situation. Keep looking for information and reading! The iodine VWT support team forum on the curezone website is especially helpful reading.

6. Denise

whats the dosage of iodine?

7. Susan

I am really confused! The iodine protocol supplementation states selenium and then says if we are iodine deficient taking selenium will induce a dramatic fall in the already impaired thyroid. ??? I thought doing the iodine protocol was for deficiency. Maybe I’m reading something wrong? I am taking selenium so I hope I’m not doing something wrong.

• Shelly

I have the same question concerning Selenium. Do you or don’t you take selenium?

Shelly, Hashis patients repeatedly report that Selenium lowered their antibodies! So for that alone, it can be worth it.

• Beverley

I have Hashi’s and take 400mcg of Selenium daily. My antibodies are very low now. So low it doesn’t even look like I have Hashi’s just hypothyroid.

8. Monika

I have iodnie induced AIT. I took iodine without selenium for fibrocystic breasts (did not do enough reserch). How to I correct my auto immune thyroditis with goiter. My worst symptoms are goiter and heart palpitations. I would be appriciate if anyone could help. Thank you.

9. Caitlin

hi, i am just embarking on trying to reduce my multi nodular goiter naturally, i am going try lugol’s iodine along with the suggested companion supplement. my goiter is not that big, it gives my no symptoms, i’m on no medication, all I’ve had is 3 aspirations in 5 years and this has managed it thus far, however my THS levels are now borderline leaning towards hyper and i do not want traditional treatments if i can possibly help it. i have a few questions.
    1 i have ordered 15% lugol’s iodine (7.6 iodine per drop), how much of this do i take to start off with and do i just have the lower amount of recommended companion supplements and gradually build up?
    2 can i eat brazil nuts in replacement of supplements (i eat 4 per day anyway which equates to approx 2000mcg per day) will this be too much or will the selenium in the nuts vary too wild to be accurate enough?
    3 has anyone bought any of dr brownsteins books, if so which one is best for this type of thyroid complaint as i know he has written a few.
    4 has anyone any advice about cruciferous foods, either avoiding them or increasing them as i’ve found conflicting advice on the internet.
    5. has anyone done this and at first the swelling got worse before it got better, if so do you have any words of wisdom?
    and any other advice will be very welcome, kind regards,caitlin

10. ChrisB

Appreciate all the information! I have a question about the salt … you mention Celtic Sea Salt. Is Himalayan Pink Salt ok or does it have to be Celtic Sea Salt?

🙂

11. Lois

Hi! I have a question. Is it possible to have bromide reaction from consuming seaweed and doing kelp foot soak? I am currently on a protocol under an ND’s supervision for leaky gut and candida (caused by antibiotic intake on/off for 3 years and birth control usage (taken for 6 months) and one of his recommendation was taking seaweed and doing foot kelp soak for thyroid however, i have noticed that i get really weird symptoms after consuming these (e.g. shoulder pain, rashes, cold extremeties, creepy crawling sensation and internal tremor). Please advise. Thanks!

• Erin

Absolutely you can have a bromide reaction from consuming seaweed and kelp. In the website I posted there’s an interview with Dr Mercola and Dr Brownstein…it’s either in the part 2 or part 3 where Dr Brownstein says that he has tested kelp and seaweed and said they were contaminated with Bromine due to pollution. And since Bromine displaces Iodine, the supplements are basically exacerbating the iodine deficiency. Basically just giving you bromine instead of the iodine that you are trying to achieve. Due to this day in age and pollution being basically everywhere, in order to get pure iodine it appears we might have to try other inorganic sources. Like Lugols or Nascent.I personally take Lugols 5% 4 drops a day.

12. Jeannie

Im just about to start selenium, l stopped my kelp as l had a sore and swollen neck.Do l start the iodine once I start the selenium? Ive ordered nascent iodine to try, thought id start on a drop at 400mcg with 200mcg selenium. How do I know which has an adverse reaction. Im sure I have hastimto or hypothyroidism, ive been told over the years different times my thyroid results are just on borderline etc so its fine. Im sure its not. I was put on thyroxine at 17, but it worked for a while and gps said try antidepressants. Im sure if they had not dismissed my thyriod problems I wouldnt have been left thinking whats wrong and may of got a diagnosis, so lm trying to help my self. Ive been this way since I was 16 years old after a virus. Im now nearly 40. Its taken over my life being so unwell and lots of gps not looking into it all properly and just throwing anti depressents at me, saying its my mental state. So lm left to try and figure it out ,as I have always been trying to. I hope the selenium helps. Lm just worried as I need to keep an eye on how I feel, as I cant get levels checked as my gp wont help me.

13. Jeannie

Ive read people take selenium 200mcg for years with iodine and do great. I really hope this helps me. If I have a reaction to selenium to I cut back,, or put iodine up. How will l know what to try? You have to take selenium with iodine right? Or if you start iodine you have to take selenium?

14. Jeannie

Hi, also I worry adrenal fatigue a problem, was tested few years ago 24 hour urine test, gp said normal. B
    can I try selenium and iodine anyway, im so stuck with gps unwilling to listen. Wont selenium and iodine help my adrenal fatigue if have it too? Going to add vit e and vit d, but dont want to try too much at once, always have bad reaction to any tablets, big symptom is fluid retention, which gets worse with any tablet I try. I get hot alot. Do get cold feet though.

15. Edith

I had been doing the companion supplements for a few months before started taking Lugol’s iodine. I was building up slowly, and I was at 3 or 4 drops. Then I had a lot going on, had to find a place to live fast, moved 7 hours away, didn’t have access to my supplements, didn’t even have time to eat for 24 hours. Long story short, since I was so busy with the move, I took a one week break from iodine and the supporting supplements. Can I just pick up where I left off, or should I start taking the supporting supps only, for about two weeks, then start iodine again from a low dose?

16. margarete

I´ve started taking Lugol to try to shrink a myoma (I read about it in the internet), do you think in my case I need to take selenium? I have no problem in the thyroid, and after 1 month taking Lugol I had no symptoms that I can feel…

17. Sharon

Hi I’ve just started taking Lugol’s Iodine for Graves disease, and have seen an improvement in symptoms in just a couple of weeks, I have however started bloating and putting on weight, I am taking a multi vit, selenium, magnesium and Vit C in powder form. Do I need to take higher doses of Vitamins if this is happening? and if I am taking magnesium (from marine salts) do I still need to take the salt? Finally, I’ve also read that you should take Vit C separately from the Iodine http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=921516 can anyone tell me if this is the case? Thanks.

18. Lilian

Hello!
    Thank you all for this amazing website.

How much iodine should one take with 200 mcg of selenium?

19. Meryam

How to do iodine protocol..? And one thing more amazon dont deliver here in turkey.please i want to try this protocol. THANKS AND GOD BLESS

20. Sharon

Hi there, I have been taking lugols iodine 25mg per day, for graves disease, with all the above supplements for 3 months. My symptoms improved, and almost disappeared, but TSH, TT4 etc. stayed the same when I had a blood test. Is that normal? I have been off it for a couple of weeks, and just started again yesterday. Both yesterday and today my symptoms became really bad, a lot of tremors, headache, nausea but heart beat slowed down. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? What helped? I will cut my dose down tomorrow.

21. Hundal

R-lipoic Acid and Nacetyl Cysteine(NAC) are also very helpful during any detox and in my opinion should be part of the iodine protocol as well. These supplements will help to avoid painful detox symptoms by supporting the body’s detox mechanisms.

22. Lola Finley

I have a question. If I’ve been on levothyroxin for a year can I get off it and do the protocol? Will it still work?

I personally wouldn’t get off but would find a way to be on a much better treatment with T3 added to that T4, or natural desiccated thyroid.

23. Guy

Hi – investigating iodine for headaches/energy (for me) and later for autism (for my son).

For the supporting nutrients –

SELENIUM – Thorne do a selenomethionine that looks good, but it doesn’t have an L in front of it. Is selenomethionine the same as L-selenomethionine??

MAGNESIUM – Would magnesium Oil be a good alternative?

VITAMIN C – I understand that ascorbic acid is actually very harmful to the body. If a natural and whole form of Vitamin C is taken instead (e.g. Camu Camu powder), which I understand is also MUCH better absorbed by the body, would a lower dose suffice?

B-VITAMINS – Are these as important for non-AIT patients? I have seen these listed as optional elsewhere.

DOSAGE – the dosages listed are for 25mg of iodine per day. If I start with less iodine, should I also start with less supporting nutrients?

Thanks for any advice.

The written use of “Selenomethionine” is the same thing as l-Selenomethionine. Some do lIke magnesium oil..I personally got tired of the way it stung and felt like supplements worked better for me anyway. The claims about ascorbic acid vs. natural appear to be over-blown: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-C/supplemental-forms The B-vitamins, especially B2 and B3, are still important, and no about less.

• Guy

Thank you for these very clear responses. It makes sense about the ATP – I just read what you wrote about them giving energy and clearing brain fog and fatigue, and this is exactly what I need. I will take 2 a day. I have just ordered all the co-factors (mostly from Thorne – I also found a good trace mineral product from them which contains selenium, but also several others in a highly absorbable form, so I guess 2 of these a day will be enough – http://iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Pic-Mins-90-Veggie-Caps/18507). I already get over 300mg magnesium through oil, but will take a pill as well. I have ordered Camu-Camu powder, and will take enough to get 3g Vit C.

I found a good and very strong Buffered vit C from Thorne, which also includes 350mg magnesium, but it also contains the same amount of calcium (and no bio-flavanoids, though I guess I could take them with camu camu, as you suggest). Do you think that would undermine the protocol? http://iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Buffered-C-Powder-8-oz-227-g/18423

Finally, on the form of iodine to use, do you have any recommendations? People talk a lot about Lugol’s (or Ioderol), but could this also work with Nascent? I guess you would need to take a lower potency? Or a combination? I seem to have a form called Iosol at home, which claims to be optimally absorbed. Do you have any thoughts on these? I plan to start taking iodine a few days after the co-factors arrive and I have started taking them.

24. Veronique

1) For the Vitamin C, does it need to be taken as a supplement or is via Food OK (I eat lots of fruit in the morning)

2) Regarding the selenium for hashi patients, I am currently taking selenium 3 times a week (reason: I took it first daily, then my level was rather high and overdose can be harmful), is that fine? I mean if my selenium is sufficient, can I start with the Iodine?

3) There is no doctor here I could find that is knowledgeable on iodine, can I start this on my own, taking iodine?

25. Veronique

thanks a lot!

26. Caroline

Can you get the same results if you use Himalyan salt in place of sea salt to remove bromides or halides?

27. Mel

Hi, I’m so confused….my thyroid was taken out…I’m on 150 of armor thyroid ….2000 in of d…..and a b12 shot every other week….and estrogen … I still feel lousy, tired all the time. Can this help me? What tests should I ask for? Thanks in advance!

28. Nand kishore asnani

Hi, do you have any an integrated medicine practice speicialising in thyroid ,autiinmune,hormonein barcelona or any city in spain please let me know.thanking you in advance.
    Nand kishore asnani

29. Melissa Hendricks

I’m very allergic to iodine. Is there any other way I can substitute for this