Dear Erfa Canada: Stop this nonsense and change your desiccated thyroid back!!

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 8.13.37 AMNot again.

It appears that one more time, a manufacturer of what was once a very good natural desiccated thyroid product has ruined it.

In 2009, thyroid patients whose lives had changed in major and positive ways thanks to Armour, a brand of natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) made by Forest Labs, saw their hypothyroidism come right back. Why? Forest, in all their wisdom, decided to raise the cellulose, lower the sucrose, and make Armour a much harder tablet. And somehow in all that change, patients reported all their hypothyroid symptoms now returning. It was a disaster.

As a result of the above, thyroid patients moved to other natural desiccated thyroid products, and Erfa of Canada was one. And oh did patients love it. It was made like the old Armour, and we could also do it sublingually–a method many of us like. Erfa calls their NDT product simply “Thyroid” and it has always come in sizes of 30 mg, 60 mg and 125 mg.

Fast forward to 2014, and patients who have been doing wonderfully on Erfa are now reporting a major return of their hypothyroid symptoms!

And what’s the scuttlebutt we hear from Dr. Henri Knafo, the Medical Director for Erfa Canada?? That they changed the facility from which the tablets were made but not the ingredients. Really?? So wherever the truth is, all we know is that PATIENTS ON ERFA’S THYROID WORLDWIDE ARE SEEING A MISERABLE RETURN OF THEIR HYPOTHYROID SYMPTOMS.

This is particularly disturbing for European patients whose lives have changed in positive ways thank to NDT, and know the inherent problems with T4-only.

All too many European doctors and their esteemed medical organizations are clueless about the efficacy of Natural Desiccated Thyroid and turn their backs on prescribing it. Like too many American and Canadian doctors, they worship the ground that T4-only medications unfortunately walk on, and fail to see the widespread problems that thyroid patients have on T4-only. So patients suffer. But luckily, thyroid patients in Europe had been pleased about being able to find Erfa in a few places and thus, see their lives change in major positive ways.

But that has now changed for European Thyroid Patients thanks to this latest egregious change in Erfa’s Thyroid, and the situation is horrific for patients once again, just as it was in 2009 when Forest changed Armour.

bild 1

What can you do??

1. If you were once doing wonderfully on Erfa, and now see a return of your symptoms, email Erfa’s Medical Direction here: henri.knafo@eci2012.net  Spell out how you were BEFORE the change, and what is going on SINCE the change. And email him multiple times, if necessary. Make it clear. Make it often.
  2. Post here what has happened to you on the “reformulated” Erfa. This is a widely read blog post and website for informed thyroid patients as well as doctors.

In the meantime, if you need to move over to another brand…or if you CAN change over where you live….here are your options for better thyroid treatment.

PLEASE POST THE LOT NUMBERS of the bottles of which your symptoms returned!

***********************

UPDATE May 12, 2014: A gal from Sweden heard from Erfa today, and they are admitting there have apparently been a bad batch or batches. I’ll keep you updated.

UPDATE May 15, 2014: Dr. Knafo has posted the following:
Dear all,

As you know we are currently investigating all the complaints that I received and I would like to ask for your help in order to complete the investigation.

1.       Do you have a lot number and exp date written on the bottle of Thyroid ? If so please give it to us.

2.       Can you tell us what strength(s) you bough (30, 60 or 125mg) ?

3.       Also please mention what pharmacy you bought the product from.

Once this information is received we can go forward with the investigation.   Please feel free to email me if you have other questions

Dr Henri Knafo, MD, M.Sc, B.Sc

Email : Henri.knafo@eci2012.net

***********************

* Watch for daily informative postings on the STTM Facebook page.

* Have you signed up to receive notifications of STTM’s blog post?? Go to the bottom right of the home page on STTM and sign up!

* Need to talk to other patients? The FTPO groups are the best in the world. See them listed under #2 on STTM’s Talk to Others page. You’ll also see many other great groups who don’t bash other groups (I hope), care about patient experiences and wisdom over “opinion”, and can be friendly.

* Do you have the STTM book?? Did you know it’s been the #1 selling thyroid book on Amazon? You should have it! It’s called the Bible of Thyroid Treatment and a must-have in your journey. A labor of love by Thyroid Patient Activist Janie Bowthorpe.

* Learn why Synthroid or other T4-only meds are not the way to go in your thyroid treatment, and NDT is. Even T3-only is FAR better.

452 Responses to “Dear Erfa Canada: Stop this nonsense and change your desiccated thyroid back!!”

1. Tessa osborne

Just received new batch of ERFA and pills have reverted to being crumbly. I have taken up to 3 and a half grains for a number of years, on old ERFA, then new ERFA. I had a slight degradation with new erfa but not enough to make me do anything – just more fatigue. However the new new erfa, is not only crumbly, but super crumbly and I can’t cut them any longer . I have pill cutters that have always worked, and now I just end up with crumbs. I get them on the NHS on the condition that I cut the pills so they don’t have to get me two types. What to do? That said, my fatigue is lessening ….

• Tina

Hello, could you please tell me how you are getting the NHS to pay for your ERFA? I cannot even get a GP or endo to prescribe it. x

• Nancy Adams

Hey sufferer I insisted and educated myself on what I was talking about I also think helped I said Hilary Clinton takes it ha I was in. My pharmacist says I know more than Dr. Sound like you know and it’s your body stick with GP you might have better chance cause he knows you! I hope you get them. I’ve just started a few months ago and it’s gradual I started at 2 at 30 then I’m up to 90 3 tabs I’m feeling sick again and think I need more. Hypothyroid mom taught me that. A big point to make is that blood work does not tell how I feel. You gotta listen to that. If all this fails my friend find another Dr! The Endos don’t like this way of doing it! All my best I’m right with you it’s awfull I’ve had it my whole life and just found out because I no longer wanted to live! I took Synthroid to begin and even my first pill I felt something! This sight is a God send! I’m not crazy I have Thyroid problems!

2. Cathy

I was doing really well on the old “Thyroid” product sold in Canada. After the product was changed I started developing a terrible blistering rash on my face, which went away immediately after I stopped using it. Now I have to use t4 only, and I am not happy about it. Please change it back!!

3. Anna

I have a 500 ct bottle of 30 mg pills, batch no LF04265A, exp 08/17. They seem ineffective, but give me a terrible rash…

• gina

Anna what do the pills look like? What are you taking now?

4. Keren

I switched to Erfa in May this year as it was cheaper than the Naturethoid I had taken previously. I did really well on Amour initially, and then Naturethoid, but I have gone steadily downhill on the Erfa, to the point where all my symptoms have returned, and I feel like I did when I was on levothyroxine. Mine are in the new bottle with a best before of 04/2017. I am really shocked that I feel so different on Erfa, and hugely frustrated by the waste of money on a pot of 500 tablets! I have just ordered an alternative and they can’t arrive quickly enough…..

• Winnie

What NDT brand do you find the most effective and where can I order?

• gina

I just received a bottle of erfa with the 04/2017 expiration date and am terrified to try them. I have done great for years on erfa since they chaged Armour back in 09. Now I just don’t know what to do?? Help!

I don’t blame you. I’d be terrified, too. Perhaps get another brand or Thyrogold to have on hand?

• Anna

Janie and others,

What is your opinion of Thyro-Gold? I have been considering it lately, as I really am worried about all the fillers in Thyroid-S, and am not sure I’d like to take it long-term for that reason…TG seems very pure, and I like the fact that New Zeeland livestock is treated better than anywhere else…no pesticides, antibiotics, 100% disease- and GMO-free…no single case of BSE has ever been reported in NZ.

Hi Anna. STTM represents reported experiences rather than opinion, and based on all those reports, ThyroGold is a pretty solid NDT, even if they are forced to called it a nutritional supplement. lol.

5. Cindy

I switched to dessicated about 2 years ago. At first there was a lot of fluctuation and finally I settled out at 125mg. I have been using Erfa the whole time. I moved to a new city in January and started taking the same dosage filled from the new pharmacy about one month ago. Over the last two to three weeks my hair has started falling out at an alarming rate and I am beginning to feel very tired. My Dr has increased my dosage by 30mg, which I have only been taking the last few days now. The Erfa Lot # on the recent 125mg tablets is 13C06 with an expiry of March 2016.

• Anne

Cindy I am surprised you have that batch – 125mg 13C06 expiry March 2016. It’s the one that I got in November 2013 and which made me ill within half an hour of taking it when I started it in early 2014. Several other people have reported similar problems with that batch number and several of us have reported it to ERFA as being faulty in some way. I have changed to a different brand now. I also believe that Dr Knafo left ERFA and has been replaced by someone with presumably a new email address. I’ve seen it somewhere possibly i the other thread about these problems with ERFA.

• Cindy

Thanks for that info Anne, I will pass that along to the pharmacy I got my prescription from.

• jill

please pass along the new thyroid drug you are now taking and how you are doing.

• Anne

Sorry Jill, I’ve only just seen your post. I now take Thyroid-S from Thailand. I’m not keen on all the fillers in it but needed something quickly and that was the easiest for me to get in a hurry as I’m in the UK and my GP refuses to prescribe for me since my specialist died! I used to take Armour but haven’t since its reformulation in 2009. I also have some WP to try out as I have decided it’s essential to know of two brands which work so I’ll never again be in a position of having to search around when there’s a problem with the main brand I take.

• gina

Anne How’d the WP work out for you?

6. Cindy

I also emailed this info to the address included in the article for Henri Knafo and I received a Mailer Daemon reply that the address doesn’t exist.

7. Sandra

I too have experienced a good batch, been completely fine, able to walk 1 hour a night etc, then started a new batch this week and wham! I literally wanted to go to sleep on my drive home last night. Pushed myself to walk and I am not even experiencing the overload of stress from work these days like I was on when I was on the good batch.
    I am pissed!!! I purchased 400 pills this time and wont’ get any insurance coverage now on any further ones I buy for some time. Now I have to pay out of pocket to try another batch. When the hell is this going to stop!!!!

• Marilyn Borley

Hi Sandra,
      Just thought I’d let you know that I’m working on having my prescription made at a pharmacy that does it’s own compounding… in a city close by (about an hours drive). The pharmacist requires a prescription from my Dr. of course which needs to include the dessicated thyroid and amounts in mcg of T4 and T3 and the filler (which will be lactose for me). Because it is compounded they make it in a capsule which I won’t need to swallow. I’ll be able to remove the medication from the capsule. Because of my allergies this is substantially wonderful for me. It has taken me some time to be able to work this out for myself. I see my Dr. mid month and hopefully will be on a good road. I have had to do a lot of my own leg work to find this pharmacy…it took me a long while.
      Because of our Canadian dollar this will also be a huge savings. It is more expensive than getting a prescription for Erfa but I will be confident in what I will be taking into my body. It will work out to about $30.00 a month. I hope that you will be able to work out something positive for yourself. Take care.

• Chloe

Can you tell me whereabouts in Canada you are? I am in British Columbia and would like the opportunity to order the same thyroid as you are talking about.

• Marilyn Borley

HI Chloe, the pharmacy is in Kelowna, it is Dycks Pharmacists, 1460 St. Paul St. 250-762-3333

• Marilyn Borley

Hi Chloe, I just wanted to add one more thing. It would be wise to check out what kind of fillers you can request to have in your prescription. The first one recommended by my pharmacy was not a good one. I knew this because of information I gleaned from Janies posts.

8. Kerry

So glad to see this. My Erfa tablets crumble when I try to split them. Bought from Costco in B.C., there is no number to compare, as they are put into a standard prescription bottle. I am ready to give up, I feel horrible of late, I ache from head to toe. Almost ready to go back to synthetic

• Brenda

Hi there. I live in BC as well and haven’t been feeling good for awhile now. I noticed my Thyroid pills had changed with the last refill and they are speckled. I asked the pharmacist at save-on foods and she said she would look into it. A few days later I dropped by the pharmacy and she told me that nothing had been changed. I too am contemplating asking my Dr to put me back on Synthroid. Even though I don’t want to – it feels like the ERFA Thyroid Prescription is making me worse not better!

9. Caroline

I am starting to feel hypo symptoms since switching to a different pharmacy 5 weeks ago and starting on a new batch of 60mg (lot# LF03831A, exp: May 2017) and 30mg (Lot# 14J01, exp. July 2107). Is anybody else having problems with these lots?

10. T.J.

Oh boy, you guys, I have been taking the “new” batch for about 2 and 1/2 months now. They crumble like crazy! Not only that, I’ve lost so much hair that I just want to sit and cry. My face is puffy and rough looking again. My heart palps are back, ugh. Why can’t they ever leave s good thing alone?! Lot: LF04570B Exp: 11/2017 60 mg tablets.
    Has anyone tried Thiroyd from Thailand as of late. I’m debating on switching to it. It helped me through the 2009 armour crisis. I had a lot of adrenal problems then too. So, I’m not sure if it truly worked well for me or not.
    This is so damn frustrating.

TJ, did you try raising the Erfa you’re on? Because heart palps and hair loss can happen from not raising and raising again after you start on it. Raising is explained here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101 and the reasons for problems on NDT are explained here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me

Granted, there seem to be bad issues with some of the batches of Erfa now!! We’re not saying it’s all you, because you could have one of the bad batches. But you also have to be sure whether your issues are with the Erfa you have, or the fact that you didn’t raise enough.

• T.J.

Thank you for responding, Janie! Yes, I have raised enough. Doing the T3CM for over two years helped me to optimize. Unfortunately, this new “ERFA” is just crappy. I did try using more in week 3 of this new batch and quickly felt worse. It’s also difficult to get an exact dose from cutting as it crumbles so badly. I think I’m ready to, once again, start on the treacherous journey of switching meds, ugh…. The reason I ask about thiroyd, is that I was running low on Erfa and added a little of my left over thiroyd from 2010 to get me by till my script came in. Well, I felt a nice little boost. I had hesitated to take it cause it was so old, but I can’t deny feeling somewhat better. This is my second script of “bad” ERFA. May the Lord continue to bless you! Thanks for all the time and hard work you’ve put in to bless so many of us! 😃

11. T.J.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. Do you think Thiroyd is just as standardized as ERFA or Armour? Meaning it’s the same dose pill per pill batch by batch? Thanks in advance! 😊

NOT a dumb question! And I think the answer is yes.

• Anna

I’d like to chime in: very interesting indeed, as both Thyroid-S and Thiroyd are so much easier to order, plus so much more cost effective…I have been worried, though, that they are not potent enough, or that individual batches are not potent enough, etc, etc…you will occasionally find concerns like that expressed in US or European forums.

Janie, you have a lot of experience in this area, and are also in contact with literally hundred of patients on various thyroid drugs. in your (expert) opinion, is there any need to worry about the safety, consistency, or potency, of THAI NDT (I am especially thinking of Thyroid-S which contains or dozen or so fillers, including, but not limited to, aluminum??!)

I’m not crazy about the fillers. But…I’m about reported patient experiences, and from those, all I know is that there are plenty of patients who love both and have not reported any problems.

• Lisa

I am on my third year of using Thiroyd brand thyroid from Thailand. I have always had good success with Thiroid, and appreciate that I can take it sublingually. However, I had problems with the batch I am currently using. I usually take 2 grains in the am and 2 in the pm. I have been in so much pain I decided to up it to 3 grains this morning. I felt a little better but feel that the batch I am using might be weak. So I added one grain the TR TMan brand on top of the 3 grains of Thiroyd because I have a trial-sized packet. It helped immediately. I don’t know what the fillers are so I am hesitant to order the TR Tman but it did work when my Thiroyd batch is not. Does anyone know if the Thyroid-S is strong and works consistently? Thanks.

12. TurboKitty

Levothyroxine is synthetic.

13. Jkm

I am literally on my way to the doctor to ask to change to desiccated. And now I’m really confused because I have no idea where to get quality desiccated thyroid. Help!

• Kerri

This was me today too! I’m in Canada, need lactose free and gluten free, and the only dessicated one available here is erfa thyroid (thankfully lactose free and supposedly GF)! Seriously holding my 1st pill in hand trying to get courage to try it! Hoping the bad batches are gone and hoping my tiny pharmacy actually had new stock in… But maybe they’re all bad now? Groan… Who knows! Fingers crossed!

14. LEF

I am Canadian and have been on desiccated for years now thank goodness. Spent years trying all the synthetics as my doctor was bound and determined it was going to work finally including a T3 to help, still didn’t feel good, then one day went to fill my Cytomel perspiration and they wanted almost $800 for a month!! Went back to my doc and said to h(*L with this!! Have been on desiccated ever since and finally my symptoms are basically gone and I feel half decent! Now I have moved to the US and have not gone to a Dr here yet for my thyroid pills but am almost out of my Canadian ones….starting worry about what is available after reading this post!!

15. Suze

I read through all the posts in the May and June 2014 comments on Erfa and made a list of the reported bad and good batches. Based on this I found I had a few pills for the two good batches. I used my 4/17 batch of 125 and cut it in half making it one grain, as it was reported to be extra strong. So far so good – no ill effects and I feel all right. I have been using Synthroid and Cytomel since March and I am not feeling as well as I did on the good Erfa in 2013 so I determined to try any Erfa I had which had no bad reports. I didn’t list the lot numbers for these, as not everyone gave those, just the expiry dates, so it might not even be the same lot number but I thought it was worth trying.

The good batches (no one reported them as bad, and one or more people reported them as good) are: 8/15 (reported by 3 people) and 4/17 (4 reports).

Some batches were reported as both good and bad by different people: 5/17, 7/17, 7/16, 2/17, 10/16, 3/15.

Some were reported only as bad: 11/15 (3 reports); 11/17 (1 report); 3/16 (3 reports); 8/17 (3 reports).

No reports for 1/17, 3/17 or 6/17 so these are unknown.

I don’t know if this will interest anyone at this late date but I thought I’d post it in case it helps someone. To sum up: the known good batches are 8/15 and 4/17!

Suze, thank you!! I’ll add this to the posts about Erfa. Good job!!!

• Suze

I have found that the 4/17 Erfa, 125 mg, is very strong, as someone else mentioned. But I gave it a chance, cutting them in half, as I began to feel better overall. But they are failing me now. Even taking half or one grain, it is too strong and I am thrown into a hyper state each day which takes hours to come down from. So I cannot recommend these. I am just sick of this. It’s as if the body welcomed it at first because I was so hypo, but now finds it too strong. I thought it was going to be fine because I’ve taken this for 12 days and was tolerating the hyperness which was a relief from hyponess. But it is just not acceptable to live through this every day. I am going back to Synthroid tomorrow because these clearly have way too much T3 in them and I am very sensitive to that. The other good batch, 8/15, I don’t plan to take as it is actually expired now.

• Suze

My Synthroid experiment was hellish so I gave it up after just two days. It was worse than the hyperness the Erfa gave me. I went one day with nothing and my body calmed down as the hyperness wore off. Then I took 62.5 or about one grain for the past 2 days. So far I am good with it. I feel hyponess creeping in at night, but that’s OK. A good day for me is when I can write “no attacks.” If necessary I will keep skipping days periodically if I get too hyper, or even lower it to 31 or 1/2 grain. When I use up this 4/17 batch – there are only a few left – I will have to ask my dr. if he can get Armour or another US brand for me. If not, I will take a chance on the latest batch of Erfa. Despite the occasional attack I had on Erfa, the attacks were much worse on Synthroid. I have often wondered what these attacks mean. Is the body saying “too much exogenous thyroid all at once” or is it saying “we can’t use what you just took and it’s turning into a toxic mess inside and stimulating the natural adrenaline flow.” And why did I use to take huge doses as high as 150 Erfa and feel GREAT in 2013 and early 2014? My health went downhill beginning around Sept. 2014 and I don’t fully have it back yet. I wish medical science knew the reasons for all of our reactions to thyroid. I am not the only one reporting bad reactions to all kinds of thyroid pills. But if I don’t take any I become too hypothyroid so that is not a long term answer. Just now I have had it with being revved up and jittery so I would rather stay on one grain or less.

Suze, this is probably the reason you get hyper when you try to raise above a starting dose: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me

• tyra

Suze.. I assume you are in Canada? If so, you have little choice but Erfa or levo. There is a lady from Canada on another thyroid forum and she gets her natural desiccated thyroid meds from a compounding pharmacy. It only has natural desiccated thyroid and the filler is glycine. Seems she is very sensitive/allergic to a lot of things but the glycine gives her no problem. I think she is on 2 grains per day.

If you are going to the doctor anyway, maybe you can ask him about this option? Or ck with a compounding pharmacy near you and see what they have to say first?

• Maggie

Hi there. I got the 10/17 batch – LF04443A. I’ve never been on NDT before but I’m getting allergy symptoms to it after only a couple days. Could it be a weird filler? Says only cornstarch, sugar and magnesium stearate…

Hard to know, Maggie. Erfa has been weird the past 1 1/2 years for some.

• Maggie

That sucks. It would be sad if I’m reacting to the fillers, and will miss out on the thyroid hormone because of it…

16. Anna

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my head is spinning right now…is Erfa working or not?!?! I got one batch of 125 mg pills that did not seem to work very well, so I went back to a bottle of “old” Erfa that had just expired, but it’s still effective…but I only have a dozen or so pills left. I don’t know if it would be worthwhile going back on Armour (I have been thinking about taking it with cellulase to break down the cellulose), or just ordering a new batch of Erfa…?!

17. Anna

OK, so I just saw Suze’s excellent post right after posting…

I really went downhill on Erfa 3/16. It did not work at all for me.

18. Anna

There is another question that I’d like to raise, and I hope Janie or someone else can answer it: there have been rumors in some forums about Armour being reformulated AGAIN, this time by the new owner (Actavis), and being even worse now than before the 2009 reformulation…could that be true?! I have been considering going back to it lately, since I cannot seem to make Erfa work the way it used to (plus the latest batches have giving me a terrible rash that is driving me crazy, and it goes away if I don’t take any Erfa in 24 hours…).

I’d appreciate any input on this!

• susan

after reading all comments many have developed a rash on the face: look up bromism, that’s exactly what is caused when you get too much bromine in your system I’m afraid those batches may have been tainted (guess only). It slows the thyroid big time! Look up “Bromo Seltzer” mental disorders.

19. Darcy M

I am still on a compunded NDT and would really like to get back to taking it as a pill form. I am wondering about starting Erfa again. Which worked great for me before, but I stopped taking it a year and a half ago as I thought it may have stopped working due to issues with Erfa. I also wonder about Thiroyd?

Can anyone confirm that Erfa has sorted through the issues they were having with bad batches? ANd has anyone had success with Thiroyd.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing back from someone.

Darcy, lots of folks do like Thiroyd. Also check the other STTM blog post about Erfa. If you need feedback, here’s a list of many groups you can use: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/patient-groups

• Diane Dvirnak

I have been on Armour for many years but since ObamaCare was implemented my cost of Armour 120mg has jumped from $21.00 for a 90 day supply. My prescription this week for 90 120mg tabs this week was $101.90.I will be starting on Medicare in a month and they do not pay for Armour..but I have been paying out of pocket for yrs. The increase in a 90 supply has hit the top. I am told it will continue to increase.
      Someone told me about getting ERFA out of Canada. I got set up and ordered a 100 day supply of the 60 mg tabs I will take 2 per day for my 120 mg daily dose. After reading all the negative reports on ERFA I’m not sure that I care to “rock my boat” I am stable on Armour but tired of paying the huge costs for Armour. I am VERY corn sensitive and would like to
      get it out of my thyroid. The corn in armour does not appear to bother me. I am stable and have been for 1 1/2 yrs.
      on the Armour.Do you have any thoughts for me on this?

20. TEmp

I got the understanding that desiccated thyroid pills have to be stored in the temperature range of 15-30 degrees Celcius. Could improper handling / shipping / storage attribute to the variations experienced in batches? I opened ERFA 60mg 07/17 LF04142A last week, and am “doing fine”; living in a cool climate.

• Natalie Briggs

I have been using this for 2+ years and never had a problem and was blissfully unaware of this issue. I have been having problems for the last 2 weeks and I just stumbled upon this forum and realized that I had my Rx refilled in late October. Thinking that maybe my problems are due to a bad batch, I got the batch number from the pharmacy and it is the same as yours, 07/17 LF04142A. Maybe there is a storage problem or maybe my dose has been too low for too long (60mg)?

21. Kezi

Hi there,

I liked to switch from a synthetic product (T4) to a natural product, since youu cant get these easily in Germany I wanne make sure that if I order and spend some money on it, I get a good quality product. Now I am doing some research:
    so Armour is not an option since the 2009 crisis, my next best option was ERFA which I could get from Belgium. But now I am reading that they have changed some things about it…so would you not recommend to order it or has the problem been solved ? On this website I got this quote “By 2015, we are possibly seeing those bad batches disappear hopefully. ” (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/options-for-thyroid-treatment/).
    Another option might be Naturethroid RLC Labs….
    I find this website and all the comments very helpful, I feel in the US and Canada the people are more aware and do some research than here in germany.
    I am thankful for any reply !
    Greeting from Germany

22. Adina

I’m in the same situation as kezi, but I am in Romania. I was really hoping to get off eutyrox 200ug but now it seems there is nothing to switch to? Ugh.

• Narda B

….there seems to be….such a struggle.. to make this change, from synthetic to natural hormone replacement therapy….I will be seeing someone tomorrow who sounds very excellent re thyroid matters and expect to receive referrals for blood work and tests…but I feel very unsure now….I’m 58 yrs old, been on Synthroid for about 4 yrs after thyroidectomy…yes, have had massive lifestyle changes since because of it (physical, mental, emotional) … but I’ve never gotten puffy, or had my hair fall out, or be unable to rise from bed or whathaveyou….. is the change over really worth the inconsistent batches, the illnesses….?? It’s all so sad, it seems…such a terrible manipulation by Big Pharma, cruel even…..

23. JOAN

This is a letter we have sent to ERFA two days ago, awaiting the replay:
    We are from Barcelona, Spain

My wife has Hashimoto disease, she has done very well with ERFA the last 3 years, but this year 2015 the symptoms of untreated hypothyroidism has returned clearly

After reading in internet about some issues of ERFA I would like to know if these problems has been corrected.

I will give you the lot information, the batch number we are using, so you can confirm us if these are defective since they definitively do not correct the hypo symptoms

She has TSH test ok, BUT low T3 and she feels totally untreated

Batches are purchased here, in Andorra

Thyroid ERFA 60 mg lot number : LF03139A Exp 10/20/16
    Thyroid ERFA 30 mg lot numbre : LF03057A Exp 10/20/16

We would appreciate your collaboration about this issue, the product has been working wonderful since now, and is really a big problem to see these dreadful symptoms come again..

Thank you very much for your kind assistance

Sincerely

• JOAN

Response from Mjellma Hatipi , Erfa Medical Director to our letter:

Thank you for the respond. After initially receiving your concerns about lots LF03057A and LF03139A of Thyroid 30 mg and Thyroid 60 mg an investigation was conducted to review manufacturing, analyses, and transportation of both lots. Please find below the conclusions:

– No event has occurred during manufacturing that could alter the product’s potency.

– All test results were compliant and within specification range. This includes the dosage of tablets.

– Until this day, there is no evidence of lack of quality or possible dosage discrepancy of either lot that your wife was taking.

In the meantime please feel free to contact us regarding any further questions and we will do our best to assist you.

Sincerely,

SO.
      They deny any problems

On Saturday a new batch of 60 / 30 ERFA with dates 5/17 is arriving. We will see if these correct the dreadful hypo symptoms my wife is experiencing. We will keep the community informed

Regards

Joan

• Xenia

Joan, I’m from Barcelona too, well, from Sabadell. I have Hasimoto and several days ago I was also diagnosed hypoth. I don’t know anybody here in Spain who would know anything about alternative ways to cope with this disease. Everybody, especially my endocrino, look at me as if I were crazy! Today I found about Erfa in farmsciaenandorra, and would like to try it, even if people say it is not very good now.
        So, I would like to know if it ispossible to get in touch with your wife and you? Just to ask some questions I need to resolve.

I’m a little bit desperate but willing and determined not only cope with Hashi, but win the battle. Please, write me a Whatsapp to: 636588275. I would really appreciate to share experience with your wife and find a way to gain health again.

I don’t know if I can post my number here, I hope, the admin won’t erase me. I’m just desperate at finding a cure.

Thank you very much in advance and thanks this incredible forum where I could get so much information.

• Nuria

Hi Xenia,
          I am Nuria, Joan’s wife and Hashi as well. I’ve just sent you a wahts, but not so sure if came through. Please, contact me if you wish. I am an active member of a selfhelp group called hipotireos españa (facebook). It works pretty well.

• Alexandra

Hi Nuria and Xenia, my name is Alexandra and I am living also in Spain, close to St. Celoni and have Hashimoto too. I am supplementing with Erfa since 2 years ago and it works well. I buy it also in Andorra but they are rising prices every time I place a new order. I am considering to order it directly in Canada. Is there any advise from this blog how to order it via internet in Canada? As there are quite a lot cheat farmacies on the www. Thank you for any comment!

• Susan

Hello Joan,
        I find this message from the medical director reassuring.
        Here is what I read :
        -She made researches about the precise batches you were talking about
        -She didn’t find any quality problem with them.
        -Same for manufacturing and dosage of tablets.
        I don’t think that they “deny” problems. They just answer you with what they see.
        For me it’s enough.
        I do not have problems with my thyroid medication (erfa) but I can tell you that it scared me a lot when I found this forum. With no reason because I’m still alive and healthy (as much as I can be ^^)

24. Sarah

I’m fairly worried I have a bad batch… But since I get mine from a pharmacy as prescribed by my dr incanada I don’t see batch numbers.. How do I know ? Should I talk to my pharmacists?

• Sandra

Hi Sarah,
      I am in Ontario Canada. I have been struggling for over a year now and have had mostly bad batches (yes this is my opinion after previously being properly treated for over 4 years with adrenals and iron all good) and had only one good batch. I would give anything to get another one of those again. Each time I get a new prescription I ask my pharmacy to record in my records what the batch/lot number is from the bottle (and get it written on the bottle for me) they dispensed from in case I decide to get another fill before I’m finished the old one (at my own expense as my insurance won’t fill it sooner) and want to make sure it is not a duplicate of the previous one.
      hope that helps.

• Margaret Horvat

Hi Sandra,
        I am in Ontario too, and my endo just switched me (at my request) to natural thyroid (after 30 yrs. on T4 only) which I filled at Costco, and it’s Erfa. I’ve only just started taking it two days ago, but seeing all this chatter about bad doses, am concerned it won’t work for me. Just wondering if you have had better batches since you wrote this post and if you have any other suggestions since you are at least in my province! Thanks.

25. Jill

I live in the US and received a new batch of ERFA from a Canadian Pharmacy last week.
    I order 250 tablets at a time so it’s been almost a year since my last order. I immediately noticed my new scrip was crumbly and unable to cut with pill cutter – that was not the big issue. By the second day of taking the new prescription I thought I was having a heart attack. To feel this way for the next couple of days even though I tried to counteract with magnesium to calm down.I had my blood tested and waited 3 days for results. My results concluded my tsh levels were quite low. I stopped taking meds for two days. Now I am reading this post and have no idea what to do next. Should I reorder my ERFA scrip and hope for a better batch or switch to another desiccated formula such as ACELLA.? I have used ERFA since 2009 with great success.

• Alayna

I live in Calgary and noticed that my first prescription re-fill for ERFA 30mg in May 2015 worked fine and then my second prescription refill in Sept 2015 from Lot # LF04825A Expiry 01/18 does not seem to work even with an increase in dosage. So i will ask the pharmacy to compound themselves, and see if there is a difference in symptoms.
      Alayna

• tyra

Jill.. your story sounds like mine. I did fabulously on Erfa after being on Armour for years and years until they reformulated in 2008/2009. I tried the ‘new’ Erfa and in a few days, I was so dizzy and exhausted I could hardly stand up. I tried Naturethroid and the two Thailand brands of thyroid and they didn’t cut it. I know this sounds strange but my body ‘sang’ with the NP by Acella and with WP by RLC Labs. I settled on the WP since it seems readily available unlike the NP at times. I didn’t start low and work up or anything…. just went from one brand to another with no problem. So, yes…. you might want to think about changing to another brand like NP/Acella or WP. By the way, your TSH level will be low when you take natural desiccated thyroid. That is perfectly normal.

• gina

Tyra – Do you still like WP thyroid? Any problems with either WP or NP?

• tyra

Hi, Gina. I am doing great on the WP and hubby is doing great on the NP. No complaints.

26. Lesia

I’ve just switched from Synthroid to Erfa 3 weeks ago. It’s not going as well as I’d hoped which is really upsetting to me as I can’t go back to Synthroid. Any dose over 88 gives me serious and uncontrollable reflux to the point that my throat swells and tightens. I’m heading over to the Erfa discussion board for some advice and support. I’m not feeling at all well on the 60 MG of Erfa. Dizziness and late afternoon fatigue are killing me.

Lesia, though there have been some bad batchs of Erfa, there appear to be others which are not bad. And by what you are describing, your problem may be that you simply haven’t raised that starting dose! We all have to raise it to find our optimal dose. Read the section on what we’ve learned: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• Lesia

Hi Janie. The Erfa batch I have is dated 04/17. My Endo used the Erfa conversion chart. I was on 100 Synthroid so he converted me to 60 Erfa. I am getting pretty significant head rushes and dizziness 1-2 hours after taking my Erfa so I cant imagine increasing my dose. It knocked me on my back yesterday so I only took a crudely cut 1/2 pill today. No dizziness or headrush but I have never felt so burnt out. I’ve had the same chest symptoms I had when I was on too high a Synthroid dose. I had a TT 16 months ago so I don’t have my own thyroid to fall back on.
        Ive read that 60 is the starting dose and I should increase after 2 weeks but I’m starting at what should be my target dose. I was on 137 Synthroid after my surgery and felt Fabulous but my TSH was .025 (range .35-5.0) and my FT4 was 30 ( range 12-22). We have had one heck of a time trying to find the right dose. I’ve bounced from 137 to 88 and 100 seemed to be the magic dose. I suppose I was naive to think it would be a simple transition to NDT.

• Andrea

Lesia – I am experiencing the same exact reaction to Erfa you are. I was on 2 and 1/4 grain of Armour until Sept. and switched to Erfa because of the reformulation of Armour by Actavis. I wasn’t sure what starting dose to start with on the Erfa because I wasn’t sure just how bad/ineffective the Armour had been. So I went conservative and took just one grain and over the next week worked up to the two grains I had been taking on Armour. That was a huge mistake since I thought I was going to die of a heart attack that night after getting up to two grains (again, I had just been on two grains of Armour for the last year, and 4 grains of Armour prior to that for years). So none of this made any sense to me. Why was my body able to handle 2 grains of Armour but can’t handle 2 grains of Erfa. So I stopped it for a couple days so the hyper symptoms could go away. I then started on 1/4 grain (and like you said “roughly cut”) and worked up to 1/2 grain. I have leveled off at 1/2 grain for the last month. But if I go just a smidgen over that I get hyper symptoms. I have tried everything I can to go to 3/4 grain but I absolutely cannot do it without going hyper. I have read and re-read the link Janie provided about why NDT isn’t working – but because for the last year I had been on 2 grains without being hyper, I feel it is something to do with the Erfa and not to do with low iron and low cortisol – and in fact, those have both been ruled out by my doctor. I also switched to the sub lingual method and that did make a difference by improving some hypo symptoms, but I can’t get rid of all the hypo symptoms unless I can go up to at least 60 mg. Today I switched to Nature Throid. It is so scary switching because you hate the idea of any new hypo or hyper symptoms cropping up but I felt I had to do it because I was getting no where on the Erfa. I still have hypo symptoms – mainly depression, fatigue, weight gain, and aching joints. But after doing the Erfa sub lingually, these have improved enough to where I can tolerate life but I am no where my old self. I will let you know how it goes on the Nature Throid and let me know if anything new transpires for you that might be helpful.

27. Lesia

Thanks for your reply and for sharing Andrea.
    The reason I switched to NDT was because I’ve had difficulty swallowing since my surgery. I have gone up and down in my doses and after 17 months, I realised that my throat swelled on doses above 100 of Synthroid. I HAD to be allergic to something in the Synthroid and it wasn’t simple reflux or LPR like everyone said. Sadly, my symptoms have returned with the ERFA so…..since I’ve had 3 weeks of feeling like total c#@p AND the return of the swollen throat, I am going back to my comfortable dose of 100 Synthroid. Clearly, being hyper, even slightly effects my UES and LES. I am seeing a Gastroenterologist in a few weeks. DGL licorice is helping incredibly and I plan on supplimenting with a natural stomach acid supplement once I get the all clear from him. I am extremely sensitive to thyroid meds and all previous blood tests have confirmed that I’m converting T4 to T3 so….I just may be one of those people who do better on Synthetic T4 only. I desperately wanted to do well on the NDT but after battling this horrid throat problem for 17 months, I just can’t wait out this “kill me now” period while I try to adjust my NDT. Tomorrow morning I go back to Synthroid.

28. Cullen McDonald

Hello all, does anyone know if the THYROID by ERFA is safe to use today? I was just prescribed Levo for my TSH of 6.59 and after an instantaneous weight gain of 10lbs in 2 weeks I started googling natural alternatives and it lead me here. I live in Canada so I figure it when I go to ask my doctor start me on a NDT they will probably prescribe ERFA. So, I want to know if anyone knows if it is safe today 11/20/15? I’v read that they changed it and people complained and now the pills are softer but its not clear if the brand is still effective and safe. Please help? Thank you in advance.

29. Cris

I was on Synthroid for 19 years and I really didn’t have a problem. However, I was only 17 when I went on it. When you live a certain way for 19 years, you only know that one way…. Then I decided to make the change to Thyroid in 2012. Thankfully I have a supportive Dr. However, I have found over the last year that I have been getting all the symptoms back. I had no idea that this batch thing was happening. I take 125 every day. Its not a low dose so I’m really really effected when it doesn’t work. My thyroid itself is barely even there anymore. I have no idea what the best option is at this point… stay on Thyroid or go back to Synthroid. It was an extremely tough transition so I’m hesitant but I really feel like garbage. I’m not even 40…what’s a girl to do?

30. Dr. Vulpe

I have two recommendations to make for all thyroid patients:
    1. Check for dr Peter Glidden and thyroid on internet to understand the causes of your thyroid problem
    2. For those speaking French there is a great book out there that will clarify many things for you, including treatement options
    En finir avec l’hypothyroïdie – Ce que votre médecin ne vous dit pas sur la thyroïde
    de Benoît Claeys
    Best wishes of health to you all!

31. Dr. Vulpe

Very interesting, indeed. However the info regarding the importance of Selenium and Zinc is missing.
    Also, in the labwork section Urinary T3 and T4 can be added, they seem to be more reliable for diagnosis
    Other than that is a great site, it has been an eye opener for me, keep up the good work!

32. Marilyn Borley

More recently I have been trying to find out if Erfa has gone back to making their NDT the way they used to. I have found in checking their ingredients list that it hasn’t.
    I too was on Erfa’s NDT for many year’s. I had been on Synthroid but I had a damaging medical issue that made my body allergic to any kind of preservative and color, so that is why I had switched. I was doing very well until Erfa changed their ingredients…unfortunately at the time they denied it in their correspondence to me.
    I live in Canada and now I drive across the border to Omak and pick up my prescription at a pharmacy there. It’s quite an expense. I have been on RLC Labs WP Thryoid now for over a year and I am doing just fine. Unfortunately it is not available in Canada. I would highly recommend it.

• Diane

I just started taking NDT 2 days ago. After reading all
      the comment I’m really worried about my script that I had filled at Walmart Pharmacy. Marilyn how do you manage to get your script filled in the US? I’m near the border as well so it’s doable for me if I need to.

• Marilyn Borley

In answer to Darcy….My Doctor sends my prescription to a pharmacy in the States. I drive down and pick it up. My prescription is for 6 months so that I don’t have to go so often. In toll it takes about 5-6 hours to make the complete trip (it depends on how long it takes at the border crossing). I live close enough to the border that it is viable but not everyone is able to do this. I

• Diane

Thank you I will see if my doctor will do this for me.

• Marilyn Borley

Your welcome Diane. There should be no reason why your Dr. would not do this for you. When I was looking into this I phoned around first and talked with the pharmacy to make sure they would fill my prescription. Than I gave my Dr. the information.

• Sandra

Hi Marilyn,
            That is such great information you were good enough to share with us.
            I have been on Erfa for gosh must be 6 years now but since 2014 have only had two prescriptions of Erfa that worked for me and the last batch seems to be good so I bought as many (three months worth) as they had left of the bottle they dispensed my prescription from. I am slowly picking up the pieces of my life that fell apart when I just could not function the way I used to and now I know that there could be another option which is driving to the U.S. I am about an hour and a half away from the U.S. Niagara falls border so it won’t be too bad. The thing that sucks is that I won’t have insurance coverage for it I’m sure and the dollar exchange is killer.
            Now if I could only find some more of my batch!

• gina

Marilyn – Have you noticed that WP smells very medicinal compared to the ERFA? Did you get a bottle insert with yours? Do you use the same dose of WP as you would ERFA (when ERFA worked)?

• Marilyn Borley

Hi Gina,
        I didn’t notice any kind of odour to the medication. There was no insert. I used the same dose as I did when I was on Erfa. I have found a pharmacy that compounds close to home and have been getting my prescription through them now. It is much more costly than Erfa was. To continue to purchase my prescription in the USA for WP Thyroid was costly as well, with the Canadian dollar being so low.

33. Lou

Hello from Belgium, I have bad news… My mother and I are using a batch 04/2017 of 125 mg and we don’t feel well anymore ( we use erfa sinds 5 years now…) It’s as if every tablet had a different dosage… We are very sensitive and in case of low dosage, we have severe ophthalmic migraines… For the moment we have it in an infernal rate… for us migraine is one of our indicator of hypo.. Never we both had so many migraines in so little time since we began the flask 04/2017…
    Personally, I get from 13,5 to 8,5 of blood pressure the next day without explanation while I have never had concerns about that ! With 8.5, believe me, I can almost not stand up…It is black veil at the edge of the syncope !! Palpitation, gets super tired… My feeling, it is dangerous to continue like that.. It would be necessary to make verify the composition by another laboratory…

• Anna

Hi Lou,

I also get my prescriptions for NDT filled in Belgium, or rather used to. I did not do well on Armour back in 2011, was switched to Erfa, did fine on that until about a year and a half ago, and then I started going downhill. I now take Thyroid-S from Thailand. I am not too happy about all the fillers, but at least it seems to be working, and seems quite potent.

I just wish the doctors prescribing NDT in Belgium would start offering us alternatives, such as WP or NP Thyroid…

• Anna

Lou, do you get NDT prescribed by one of the so called Hertoge doctors…? If so, do you know if they still prescribe Erfa? When Armour was reformulated, the doctors in H’s clinic switched to Erfa, but I have no idea if they still consider it to be a good brand, or if they are aware of any problems…since there are other brands available, such as NP and WP, I wonder if Armour and Erfa are still the only two NDT drugs available in Belgium…?

34. donna

Hello, just checking to see if this posts before I write alot only to find out it won’t post….if it posts I will write a short thing about my health, then at some other point I’d like to write about the hormone hell the doctors put me through before I got on Desiccated Thyroid.

35. donna

Okay, it posted.
    Lately for the last 18 months I have been very sick. And CONSPICUOUSLY About the time Erfa changed it’s formula. And I’m wondering if my thyroid pills from Erfa have something to do with it.
    I am going through complete hormone derangement, cortisol, insulin, and thyroid all out of whack. I have been very very sick, last year I got a call from a doctor from a walk in medical center in Spruce Grove Alberta who told me that my cortisol was very low, and that if I was feeling really weak and dizzy that I should go to the emergency. Well I was so weak and sick I could barely stand up on my own. I went to the emergency and there they gave me TWO LITERS of saline, which completely failed to bring my blood pressure up. About the same time I began to get sick I was being treated for high blood pressure, which is familial, and I have two younger brothers who are also on high blood pressure medicines. But for some strange reason, I was SUDDENLY CURED of high blood pressure when I got very sick 18 months ago, when it was first discovered that I had low cortisol. Now I am not sure what’s going on, I’ve been sick so long that I was finally sent to an Endocrinologist who is testing my adrenal response to ACTH to see if my cortisol rises as it should. The doctor thinks I might have a partial adrenal insufficiency, and is testing several other pituitary hormones including IGF-1, LH, Prolactin, etc.
    But all I know is this, I was getting my desiccated thyroid hormone from Shoppers Drug Mart, and always felt well on it, and always noticed a difference when switched over to Erfa’s thyroid hormone. Now after reading this, I’m wondering if my real problem isn’t Erfa’a thryroid which may be whacking out my other hormones. My T3 is hig, and my T4 is below normal. But I cannot rule out an adrenal problem, as I have aching back where my kidneys and adrenal glands are, and have been so sick, I cannot eat, drink, sleep, and on the verge of feeling like vomiting all the time, which is some of the very symptoms of adrenal failure.
    I know people who have adrenal failure often end up with thyroid failure as well, but I don’t know the statistics when people have thyroid failure, how many of them develop adrenal issues as well.
    I have called a compounding pharmacy where I get another hormone compounded, and I’m asking them if they can still compound desiccated thryoid, if they can I’m switching. At present the Endocrinologist has prescribe me Cortef for emergency use, which is Hydrocortisone, until she tests me to see what if anything is wrong with my cortisol hormone.
    I will write again later this week and let you all know what the Endo finds out. All I know is I”m tired of being sick.
    I do know one thing, I feel better when I’ve taken the Cortef, and notice that if I take my thyroid hormones first I feel aweful, but not too bad if I take the Cortef BEFORE I take the Thyroid hormone, But I’m still changing to compounding pharmacy’s thyroid hormone until this is settled. I did however, always notice that I always felt better taking Shopper’s Drug Mart’s compounded thyroid hormone…we shall see if my health improves dramatically when and if I can switch….and maybe my cortisol issues will straightened themselves out.
    If anyone has anything they might know that may help me, please respond to this message, I’ve been sick too long, unable to work, and even light housework makes me dizzy, sweat, and weak and feeling like i need to vomit….something is wrong with this picture…
    Donna

36. donna

Hi, where do I find the batch number?
    I was wondering if anybody on this forum has adrenal insufficiency, also known as Addison’s Disease, and found themselves very sick after Erfa changed their pills.
    My RX used to say Erfa, but this bottle of pills says ERA followed by the numbers 00023949. Then there is the Bar Code with a number below it written this way TX# 11888978
    Below the description of the pills for this bottle below whrere it says Thyroid 30 mg, it says: CMR / RND / EC I30 {NONE}
    I’m in Edmonton in case anyone needs to talk.

37. carol

Hello,
    Does anyone have updated news on Erfa pills? I finally decided switching from Synthroid and considered switching my son also following his thyrodectomy 2 years ago but now i’m very unsure given the negative reports people are writing about. I’m reading so many failure cases it’s very discouraging. Also ordering from countries such as Thailand scares me as I have read several sources of health stardards being much lower than what we have in Canada and the US. Please if anyone has any updates I would love to hear from you! thank you so much!

38. Anna

I have some questions about Thiroyd from Thailand…I took it for a few months back in 2011, before going on Erfa, and did great on 5 grains daily. FT4 levels about midrange, FT3 levels close to upper normal range. A few months ago, I decided to try Thiroyd again, after having problems with Erfa. This time, on 5 grains daily, I felt less well, and labs confirmed this: FT4 levels almost below normal lower range, FT3 levels only midrange.

I’m trying to tell myself it’s not possible Thiroyd was reformulated as well…but does anyone have a clue what is going on??!!

39. Donna

Omg I just found out about the problems with Erfa..I switched after the Armour nightmare and was doing well until Jan 2015 when I started having regular episodes of heart rhythum problems . I just realized it coincides with whatever happened to Erfa..I have an order of WP Thyroid on the way to me and am praying that helps

• gina

Donna have you stated the WP and is it going well for you?

• Donna

Gina i took the WP 1day and had possibly the worst day ever..like I was back on synthroid…immense brain fog…achy legs, feet burning like fire…i was stunned..so ive been taking the erfa since…i will wait a little bit and try it again in case something else was going on….i think the 60mg erfa i have right now is probably Ok…it splits clean and dissolves just like old Armour…i have some 125 mg Erfa that are bad that I reveived in error for the 60 a couple years ago….they crumble and I felt like crap when I took them.

• gina

Hi Donna, Have you tried the WP again yet? Is the ERFA still working for you?

• Donna

Hi Gina…No i’ve been afraid too..the Erfa I have now (60mg tabs) seems fine…Ihad some 125 mg tabs that I felt really awful on that I rfeceived a while back…Now I’m dealing with Afib….I have an appointment with Dr.Flechas in a couple weeks so I’m anxious to get his input on the mess that is me….

• gina

Donna what is the lot # and expiration date of the 60 mg ERFA that is working? How long have you been on it?

40. Megan

My pharmacist informed me that the Erfa in Canada is made in a different place from the Erfa in the States. I’m in Canada, and Thai pharmacies are having trouble shipping here. Erfa is the only NDT available here, are the Erfa issues affecting both patients (US and Canada)? We don’t have many apparent options here right now.

41. gina

WP thyroid EXP. 12/17 caused my thyroid to swell almost instantaneously. Stomach cramps and jitters also followed. Again the pills have that medicinal scent that Armour and ERFA now have, not that pork odor that NDT always had before they never changed it (joke) when it worked. It is as if the synthetic manufacturers have sabotaged the NDT powder that is distributed to all the NDT producers. My reaction to WP was similar to the changed ERFA. It’s almost as if they have added synthetic T3 to our beloved meds. I find it ironic that for years big pharma has tried to get rid of NDT and dishonestly push their synthetics. They have created and broadly advertised false info about NDT in an attempt to get it our of circulation. Now all of a sudden it appears all their false claims are reality. Someone had to make this happen. Very suspicious that the NDT companies have a change of hands and then the problems arise. There are no coincidences in business. I think it’s time we make our own NDT. How hard can it be? I would also like to gather all the pills that “haven’t changed” and have them tested to see what’s really in them. Does anyone know where we can have this done?

Hi Gina. You might want to rule out a few things if u reacted to WP that way. First, NDT will initially cause an increase in the attack on the thyroid if one has Hashimoto’s, thus thyroid swelling. We have to do both thyroid antibodies to know, not just one.

Second, your reaction to WP could have been what is described under #2 here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me

• gina

WP does not act in the body like NDT. It seems synthetic. Have you ever tried it Janie?

No Gina, I haven’t. But I see a lot of comments by many people who are soaring on it, Gina, as they do on Naturethroid and NP Thyroid and even NDTs from Thailand. You gotta explore what I mentioned to you….

• gina

I have. I’m not new to all this. I know the road all to well…What are you currently using?

Gina, the problem is that it’s not a conspiracy or sabatoge that you keep implying. Promise. If it was, there would be a growing body of patients having problems on WP, or NP or Naturethroid, and there are not. I would strongly recommend getting both antibodies done, all four iron labs, and the 24 hour adrenal saliva test.

• tyra

Gina, I have been using WP for a year, year and 1/2 now … ever since Erfa changed. Like you, I have used NDT for years and years… first the ‘old’ Armour, then the ‘old’ Erfa after Armour reformulated. I had to go hunting for a good NDT after the ‘new’ Erfa made me dizzy and feeling awful after a week or so. I am no expert but with the exception of TR Man (one of the Thailand NDTs) and the ‘new’ Armour, I have tried them all, it seems. WP and NP are the two brands that suit me best. Of course, we all have our favorites. Before you give up on WP or some of the other good brands, maybe have some labs done so you know what is going on, especially thyroid and iron, antibodies and RT3? Oh.. and I haven’t noticed any strange off-odor or side effects with the WP that I am taking (exp. 4/17).

Gina, I hope you will take these responses to heart. You do need to do both antibodies, all four iron labs, and test your adrenals via saliva. And Tyra recommendation to do RT3 is also a clue as to having either an iron or cortisol issue.

• gina

Yes I take all to heart. I am not new to the bloodwork. My doctor and I learned together. Thyroid hormone imbalance is the culprit for the other imbalances not the other way around. As soon as I was on the right dose of old Armour where I felt normal all my labs also came back normal including cortisol (24 hr saliva) and ferritin. The only time I ever tested positive to antibodies was apx 10 years ago after taking synthetic. I had the same symptoms from it that I just had taking the WP and the new ERFA then as well. Back then once I started old Armour the symptoms were gone within days and following bloodwork showed normal antibodies. I recall almost immediately after taking synthetic those awful symptoms started. Just like now after taking the changed ERFA and the WP. Totally the same reaction. I have been taking my old erfa EXP.5/16 for the last few days and symptoms have almost entirely subsided. There is no doubt it is a reaction to the pills. I can’t say WP has changed all I know is the problem it causes me is the same problem new ERFA causes and there is no doubt that ERFA has changed. Others have also reported the same problem upon starting WP. Aside from everyones reactions the change in the new ERFA pill is visual as well. I really want to get them tested by an independent Lab. Like DR knafo said he did. We never saw the actual results from his test. Experience tells us to always consider the source. Janie what are you currently taking? I dread running out of my old erfa and will probably take nothing rather go through this crap again. I would like to give NP a try but am so terrified. The fact that my reaction to both WP and new ERFA was the same tells me there is something in both of them that didn’t used to be in old erfa. OR possibly something missing in both that old erfa had. Either way old erfa still works for me perfectly and New does not. I am by no means the only one and we must get to the bottom of this mess.

Gina, most anyone (and it’s been quite the minority) who has reported problems with WP finds out it was actually their adrenals or iron. I know you are resisting all this terribly, but I can only strongly suggest you get both antibodies done, FOUR iron panels (not just ferritin), and 24 hour adrenal saliva test..then compare the results to the Lab Values page on STTM. When someone has the same reaction to other very good products as they did to Erfa, it’s usually about one or more of the latter, Gina.

• gina

My bottle of WP does not smell like the old erfa, old Armour, porky smell at all. It smells like medicine. That’s the best way I think I can describe it. The new ERFA has a slight pork smell but definitely more medicinal than it used to be.

• Anna

Has anyone taken both Thyroid-S and WP/NP Thyroid, and is able to compare the two/three? I have been on Thyroid-S for a couple of months, like it and it seems quite potent, but I really don’t like all the fillers…no other brand of NDT seems to contain as many fillers. WP is very pure. NP too, although it contains mineral oil (which it seems Armour used to as well, until 1996). I’m in Belgium where only Erfa and Armour are available by prescription, but I found a pharmacist who said he’d be able to order WP or NP for me even if the script is for Armour or Erfa, as the active ingredients are the same, and only fillers and binders differ…but I don’t know if I should switch brands again (I have been previously been on Armour and Erfa, both of which stopped working at one point), and am afraid my poor body will end up all confused…!

Many, many good reports on NP or WP.

• tyra

Hi, Anna. I had to scramble to find another NDT after I responded badly to the ‘new’ Erfa (after about 5 yrs doing well on Erfa) and tried Thyroid S, Thiroyd, NP, WP and Naturethroid. I gave each one a two week trial. The two Thailand NDTs trials only lasted for 4 – 5 days because they made me dizzy/spacey feeling.

Naturethroid was a bust… not good, not bad. But the NP by Acella and the WP … well… wow !! I settled on the WP because finding a dependable supplier of NP is problematic in my area.

The Naturethroid is chalky and none too pleasant tasting but.. tolerable. Doesn’t lend itself to taking it sublingually.

The WP is just a tiny bit gummy (will stick to your teeth, for instance) when you remove the tabs from the main bottle and place them in one of those daily/weekly containers. It seems to dry them out a bit but
          doesn’t effect their efficacy. The WP doesn’t dissolve as readily as NP but it works.

The NP… great stuff. Tastes like the old Armour or old Erfa? kinda sweet and the 30 mg tab is a tiny, tiny thing so the 30 mg tab can’t contain but so many additives, right? And it dissolves nicely sublingually.

I don’t think anyone can advise you as to whether to change NDTs or not. You are fortunate to have a pharmacist willing to work with you. Maybe trial a few weeks or a month’s worth of NP and/or WP at a time and see how you do? If you don’t respond positively to either one during the trial period, you can always fall back to the Thailand NDT as backup.

By the way, I switched from one NDT to another and used the same dosage I have used for years. I didn’t seem to have a problem. That’s not to say that everyone can switch between brands without consequence. Keeping track of body temp and heart rate when switching would probably be prudent.

42. gina

I am wondering if iradiating the pig thyroid is the new process to purify it??? This would destroy whatever we have left of our own functioning thyroids…This is the new method they are using on meat!

43. Anna

I read somewhere that Health Canada is currently investigation complaints about Erfa. Is that true…?

44. Gillian

Anyone having trouble with a batch Of Erfa #00023965? I receive mine from Canadian Pharmacy thru Kansa City and in April I needed to reorder. I didn’t want to use Am Ex so they said they had to use a different vendor. Well, I suffer from Catamenial Seizures and we don’t know the source and since this new batch I’ve had the worst seizures ever. Coincindence? Also, my bottle comes from You Drugmart and has no exp. date on it. My doctor says as long as the pills say 125 ECI on them they should be the same.
    Thoughts anyone?

• Jean L

I think it is terrible that they change medications that are of vital importance. This is something we HAVE to take daily or we don’t feel good. Yes, to answer your question- based on all the people complaining about changes with ERFA. I believe it must be the ERFA.

I wish they would stop changing these medications. I am on Nature Throid and I feel OK. Could be better, but there is nothing we can do. I wish we could get this medication from Europe or somewhere that the company who makes it isn’t going to change it. Was much, much better in 2002 before everything was changed.

Best of health to you all. Praying for no more changes!!!!

45. Kelly

any update on the ERFA quality?

As STTM is about the results of solid patient reports, I can say that we’ve seen less and less complaints here about Erfa….

• kelly

awesome thanks! i am waiting for my 1st erfa shipment to be delivered. my dr is starting me on 30 mg per day. i was on levoxyl and weaned myself off. will keep e1 posted 🙂

46. Maria

Hello Janie,

I was wondering if you still use ERFA Thyroid or if you have switched?

I must have gotten lucky 1.5 years ago when I received a bottle of 125mgs 500 tablets which expired in 4/2017…the tablets were not “spotty” in color or crumbly and I didn’t have any problems. But ten days ago I received a bottle (which also expires in 4/2017) of the bad tablets and I started feeling it not a week later.

I’m considering re-ordering in the hope of getting a good batch or perhaps trying out “NP Thyroid” by Acella. Do you have any advice? Any ERFA batches that expire later than autumn 2017 which have been reported as good? Thank you.

Maria