Supplements and meds that can influence your cortisol saliva results
Over the years, thyroid patients with suspected adrenal problems learned (or found out the hard way) that if they maintain taking certain supplements and certain medications up until doing saliva testing, they don’t get to see what their adrenals are doing “without influence”.
i.e. when possible, we found we want to treat the natural state of our adrenal function, not the influenced state.
Below is a list of more common supplements or medications that may be influencing adrenals. Many patients state they stop taking as many of the over-the-counter supplements they can for up to two weeks before testing.
An exception: Some of the below are not easy to get off, or shouldn’t be stopped! For example, if depression would return by getting off 5-HTP, patients might nix getting off that. Always work with your doctor!
SUPPLEMENTS OR SUPPORTS THAT COULD AFFECT ADRENAL FUNCTION:
- Adrenal glandulars
- Adrenal Cortex (Isocort or other brands)
- Licorice Root
- Phosphatidyl serine (PS)
- Kava kava
- Holy Basil
- Siberian Ginseng (Eleuthero)
- Schizandra Berry
- Magnolia root extract
- Caffeine (from your coffee, tea or certain sodas, for example)
- Over-the-counter asthma supplements
- DHEA in higher amounts (it’s recommended to be off all DHEA for at least 72 hours)
- See supplements below which may not be a problem
- HC (Hydrocortisone like Cortef and other brands)
- Prednisone or Prednisolone
- Medrol (aka Methylprednisone)
- Anti-depressants (whether Tricyclic or SSRI)
- Anti-anxiety meds, aka Benzodiazepines or Benxo (Xanax is an example)
- Blood Pressure medications
- ADHD meds (Adderall for example)
- Beta Blockers (Lopressor or Toprol XL, Atenolol or Tenormin, Labetalol like Normodyne and Trandate)
- Asthma prescription meds or sprays
- Sleeping Pills (such as Lunesta, Ambien)
- Pain killers for arthritis
- Pain killers for Migraines (aka Imitrex)
- Compounded Progesterone
OTHER MEDICATIONS WHICH MAY NOT EFFECT CORTISOL:
- Inositol (there are patients who found this has NOT affected their cortisol levels, even though we used to have it above)
** Want to know more about adrenal issues? Click on the latter link.
** READ CHAPTER 6 in the revised STTM book for the best information anywhere on how to treat adrenals!
** Learn about the Seven Stages of Adrenal problems.
** Electrolytes and Minerals are important in all this.