Where to talk to other patients
You have two good options: a very beneficial, private and one-on-one paid coaching session with Janie , or patient-to-patient internet groups, below.
1) THYROID COACHING WITH JANIE:
- Confused what your lab results or symptoms might mean?
- Hitting a dead end in your treatment?
- Not sure how to explain issues to your doctor??
- Want privacy that a group may not give you? Need feedback on what you heard in groups?
- Need encouragement, hope and support?
Janie, as a fellow thyroid patient and Messenger of Patient Experience, can help you come up with a forward-moving plan. We’ll talk about what patients have learned with similar labwork as yours, what certain symptoms can mean, all the ways patients deal with their thyroid, digestive, and adrenal issues, how to talk to your doctor about all of this, and more. Janie will also give you encouragement, support, and genuine hope….because I was once at the bottom of the pit, and I got out.
READ THIS CAREFULLY: Schedule a paid coaching call in one of two ways (Skype is cheaper for international, non-US callers since Ingenio adds more cost):
- SKYPE (audio-only plus computer use): Use the Contact at the bottom of this page and give me three things: day, time and your Skype handle. I will confirm, plus you will be sent a PayPal link to pre-pay for first thirty minutes (41.70 minimum @ 1.39 per minute, set cost, even if we talk less than 30 minutes). Any extra minutes used (which is common) will be emailed with PayPal link for amount due at 1.39 per minute. Second amount is due immediately. **To download Skype, go here and click on the Get Skype in the blue bar.
- INGENIO (a phone session website intermediary): Click on icon below (ignore the Away); choose either a “Time Window”, such as 1-4 pm, or a specific day and time which I will need to approve or not. Cost is 1.49 per minute to equal 44.70 for 30 minutes, etc. I lose a huge amount due to Ingenio fees, thus the higher amount.
***I prefer coaching calls Monday through Friday from 10 am – 5:30 pm Central. I do not take calls on Sunday–I need that time off. Please understand that I cannot follow up calls with emails on top of everything else I do—would need three of me and 36 hour days. lol.
2) RECOMMENDED PATIENT GROUPS: ***READ THE BELOW FIRST BEFORE USING PATIENT GROUPS.
- None of these are T4-only support groups. Instead, most are about important information as to better treatment.
- These groups are NOT for medical professionals. These are patient-to-patient discussion groups only.
- There groups are NOT to be used to promote your business, mention clients or customers, or to sell your products.
- These groups are NOT to be a substitute for a relationship with a good doctor, but are instead for support and information. Thus, STTM takes no responsibility for any outcomes in you using these patient sites–and YOU AGREE to this by using any group.
- Remember: someone’s opinion is just that: their opinion. That doesn’t mean it’s correct for YOU or the entire world. Check with patient experience from the STTM website and even more, the book. You can also bounce it off with Janie by doing a Coaching Call above.
- The list below is not in any order. You just need to find the one that you like the best…for YOU! Enjoy!
- Natural Thyroid Hormones International Yahoo group (NTH): This friendly and helpful yahoo group was started by Janie in 2002, continuing strongly today as patient-to-patient, and focuses on the use of desiccated thyroid like Armour, Naturethroid, Erfa and other brands. You have to request membership and give information about yourself. For Patients Only.
- NTH Europe: This NTH group was started in 2010 and specifically for Europeans-only to discuss finding good doctors, good clinics and the use of natural desiccated thyroid, etc. You will need to prove you are in Europe when you ask to join, otherwise, you will not be approved. Once in this group, you’ll see mention in the Files of Sheila’s TPA-UK group, another good one. For Patients Only.
- NTH Children’s Group: Started in April 2011, and specifically for parents or legal guardians of children who are hypothyroid, or you suspect they might be. Do not ask to join if you don’t have children. Requires approval of your membership request. For Parents Only. You need to be working with a doctor for your children.
- Dealing with Hypothyroid Spouses This group, started July 2011, is for those who have spouses/significant others with hypothyroid/adrenal struggles, and who want support as you deal with either your spouse’s medical problems or the denial of your spouse about their issues (which is particularly a problem when your spouse has adrenal issues)
- T3CM for low cortisol/Adrenal Fatigue This patient-to-patient group focuses on the T3 Circadian Method, but also looks at many issues around adrenal function. And it works!! No hydrocortisone (HC) is needed. You cannot have hypopituitary, Addisons or untreated Diabetes for this to work.
FACEBOOK GROUPS (FOR PATIENTS ONLY):
***A caveat about STTM patient groups: these are not T4-only support groups. Instead, they are about information pertaining to better treatment in many areas as learned by patients before you. Please read what STTM forums are about.
- STTM main group page Join STTM’s very own large Facebook group discussion page. A friendly and large patient group for good feedback and support. This is a PRIVATE group, meaning no one can see your posts unless they are a member.
- STTM Adrenals discussion group for use of HC, adaptogens, Isocort, glandulars, etc. Private group discussing issues related to adrenals, aldosterone, symptoms, HC, adaptogens, Isocort, glandulars, etc. If you are doing the T3 Circadian Method, join the T3-only group below, which is for the use of NDT or T3 in doing the T3CM.
- STTM T3-only/T3CM discussion group A private group for those who are on T3-only, or who are using the T3CM for adrenals, whether with T3 or NDT.
- STTM Gluten issues group Private group specifically for those who have Gluten Intolerance or Celiac, or who know the benefits of going gluten-free, especially in the face of having Hashimotos disease. Great recipes and links are shared here.
- STTM Without a Thyroid group Private group specifically for those without a thyroid, talking about unique issues because of that, plus about RAI, thyroid surgery, etc.
- STTM Australia group Private group for those in Australia who want a friendly and informative nature to their discussions!
- STTM Canadian group Private group for Canadians only.
- STTM Europe group Private group specifically for those who live in Europe and who want to chat about issues related to their counties and regions.
- STTM Spanish Only Thyroid Discussion group Strictly spanish speakers. Needs to grow.
- STTM Sex Hormones group Private group for those with hypothyroid and hormonal issues.
- STTM Parents of Hypo Children group Private group for parents who want to share with other parents. NOT to be a replacement for a doctor’s guidance with your child.
- STTM business page This is NOT for discussion. It’s used to announce particular changes or additions to the STTM website, including blog posts. If you need discussion, go to the above group pages.
- *NEW* STTM PRACTICING PHYSICIANS ONLY group. For Medical-school trained, licensed professionals who see patients on a regular basis. There will need to be evidence on your Facebook page that meet the requirements above. Patients can see you are a member of this group (which implies you are open to patient experience), but can’t see the posts in this closed group. **Very inactive and will only grow if physicians join and start posting.
MORE GOOD GROUPS:
- Iodine group Run by thyroid cancer patient Stephanie who beat thyroid cancer, this is a group that focuses on the use of iodine for good health and has gained important information over the years on the use of iodine, such as the need for supporting nutrients when using it. This group will help counter the negative information you may be hearing against iodine. Very informative and definitely worth exploring.
- Thyroidless yahoo group For those completely without a thyroid, whether through RAI, surgical removal or other issues, this group is run by the vivacious Sam who has regained her health and well-being with desiccated thyroid and support of her adrenals.
- United Kingdom group Specifically if you live in the UK, this group is run by the dynamic Sheila of TPA-UK.
- Janie’s Blog Here is a place where you can read what’s on Janie’s mind, and can comment! This is not a place for questions, just comments. But you can read what others are saying. Sign up with the Blog notification to the left of the blog and below the links, which will send you an email when Janie posts. (Look on the left of any page on the bottom of the links to sign up)
- New Zealand Facebook group Heard good things, but do let me know.
- realthyroidhelp.com (RTH) This is a website of forums based on being hypothyroid and related issues. You will need to register before you can post. Does not generally deal with adrenal fatigue.
- Life Coaching: Need to talk to someone about where you are going with your life, career, etc? This is a Life Coach I trust and recommend. He attended the Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching and focuses especially on high achieving creative minded types. To learn more about life coaching and to get a free sample session, click on the underlined link and tell him I sent you.
- Web Content and Coding Consultation: A highly recommended consultation when you need help with content management within WordPress, web coding, help with fixing your site if it just doesn’t look right to you, and recommendations on what you need, how much it’ll cost and how long it’ll take. This is done by the guy who helped create the STTM website.
LAB WORK packages designed specifically for readers of Stop the Thyroid Madness with good prices–STTM Thyroid and Adrenal Lab Packages