Where to talk to other patients
NEED PATIENT-TO-PATIENT SUPPORT AND FEEDBACK? Two ways:
- * Confused about your lab results or symptoms?
- * Hitting a dead end and feeling stuck in your treatment?
- * Not sure how to explain issues to your doctor?
- * Want privacy that a group may not give you?
- * Need encouragement, hope and support?
Dawn or Caren, both thyroid patients like yourself, can help you become more informed in your journey based on thyroid patient experiences and wisdom before you, which in turn, can help you work with your doctor.
- DAWN for THYROID topics: she is well-versed on patient experiences and wisdom via STTM, which is an important qualification to be a STTM coach. She has worked directly with patients in the FTPO groups on Facebook for awhile now. She also has no thyroid, was diagnosed with Hashimotos and Graves antibodies, plus has had Lyme, so understands those issues, too.
- CAREN for ADRENAL topics: she has spent several years listening to and interacting with adrenal patients via STTM-related/FTPO groups. She herself once had low cortisol and successfully treated it with hydrocortisone. She has maintained good cortisol levels since then. .
TWO WAYS TO TALK:
- PHONE COACHING CALL (cell or wall phone) US or Canada only The person you choose will call you at your agreed-upon time and day.
- SKYPE COACHING CALL (computer use, audio-only so you don’t have to worry what you look like! ha!)–requires a Skype account, which you can download here if you don’t have one. Make sure your computer has audio and your Skype is set to accept calls.
ABOUT COST/PAYMENT: These calls are based on the time whoever you choose spends with you, not on content. Either type above has a $55.00 US minimum which also covers the first 30 minutes and is prepaid. i.e. you will receive a PayPal request for pre-payment before the call. If you go over, it’s then minute-by-minute (1.50 per minute), and you will then receive another PayPal request after the call for any remaining minutes spent on the call. You do not have to have a PayPal account to use the PayPal request–it can also be just an intermediary with your credit card. Your credit card in a month will show PayPal and “Thyroid Call”.
HOW TO REQUEST A CALL: After clicking on this Contact page, state 1) who you want to do a call with, 2) your phone number (US or Canada only) or Skype name 3) days and blocks of time you can talk with time zone.
***IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER AND TERMS OF SERVICE ABOUT DOING COACHING CALLS: By doing a coaching call, you agree that whoever you choose is simply sharing “patient experiences and wisdom” they have observed about the same issues you are calling about. e.g. “here’s what other patients have learned or done successfully with the same issues as yours”. These calls are NOT to be seen as a substitute for the guidance of a qualified medical professional. Work with your doctor. You are simply talking to another patient who will give you information. What you do with any information shared is at your own risk and you agree to that by doing a call. We cannot follow up calls with free email feedback–not enough time in our days!
2) RECOMMENDED PATIENT GROUPS:
FOUR POSITIVES ABOUT GROUPS: 1) Informative Admins 2) Good information and wisdom given, and it’s free 3) Potential for good friendships 4) For patients ONLY.
FOUR NEGATIVES/RULES ABOUT GROUPS: 1) NOT for T4-only support, though they will support you in other areas. You can read why here. These groups are about the truth, not about winning popularity. 2) NOT FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS. Period. Patients ONLY 3) NOT for business promotion or mention of ANY kind. 4) Not to be a substitute for a relationship and guidance from a good doctor.
By using these groups, you are agreeing that it’s at your own risk, and that STTM takes no responsibility for decisions you decide to make by using them. Work with your doctor. The list below is not in any order. You just need to find the one that you like the best…for YOU! Enjoy!
- Natural Thyroid Hormones International Yahoo group (NTH): This friendly and helpful yahoo group was started by Janie in 2002, continuing strongly today as patient-to-patient with excellent moderators, and focuses on the use of desiccated thyroid or T3 rather than T4-only. You have to request membership and give information about yourself. For Patients Only.
- NTH Europe: This NTH group was started in 2010 and specifically for Europeans-only to discuss finding good doctors, good clinics and the use of natural desiccated thyroid or T3, etc in Europe. You will need to prove you are in Europe when you ask to join, otherwise, you will not be approved. Once in this group, you’ll see mention in the Files of Sheila’s TPA-UK group, another good one. For Patients Only.
- NTH Children Parents Group: Started in April 2011, and specifically for parents or legal guardians of children who are hypothyroid, or you suspect they might be. Do not ask to join if you don’t have children. Requires approval of your membership request. For Parents Only. You need to be working with a doctor for your children–this should NOT replace that.
- Dealing with Hypothyroid Spouses This group, started July 2011, is for those who have spouses/significant others with hypothyroid/adrenal struggles, and who want support as you deal with either your spouse’s medical problems or the denial of your spouse about their issues (which is particularly a problem when your spouse has adrenal issues). Not always active unless you make it so!
- T3CM for low morning cortisol This patient-to-patient group focuses on the T3 Circadian Method, but also looks at many issues around adrenal function, including MTHFR, HPA feedback loop and more. You cannot have hypopituitary, Addisons or untreated Diabetes for this to work.
FACEBOOK GROUPS (FOR PATIENTS ONLY): All the below are the excellent “For Thyroid Patients Only” (FTPO) groups, run by patients just like yourself, and meant to help you based on “solid, repeated patient experiences”. All are also closed groups, which means no one outside the group can see your post. Remember: these groups are NOT to be a replacement for the relationship you have with your doctor.
- FTPO THYROID TOPICS discussion group A friendly and large patient group for good feedback and support about thyroid issues, run by patients just like you.
- FTPO ADRENALS discussion group for use of HC, adaptogens, Isocort, glandulars, etc. Discusses issues related to adrenals, aldosterone, symptoms, HC, adaptogens, Isocort, glandulars, etc.
- FTPO T3-ONLY For those who have reason to be on T3-only..
- FTPO GUT issues group Specifically for those who have gut issues of any kind, or gluten Intolerance or Celiac. Great recipes and links are shared here.
- FTPO WITHOUT A THYROID group Specifically for those without a thyroid talking about unique issues because of being thyroidless, plus about RAI, thyroid surgery, and better thyroid medications, etc.
- FTPO THYCA group For those who have thyroid cancer, or are a survivor of thyroid cancer! Discussion on the different types, treatments, challenges and more.
- FPTO LYME group For those who as suspicious or have confirmation of having the bacteria related to Lyme. This Lyme group attempts to be open-minded about treatments and positive.
- FTPO OFFICIAL SEX HORMONES group (as related to your hypothyroid condition) For those with hypothyroid and hormonal issues. This was re-established to be a more open-minded and friendly group. Enjoy!!
- FTPO PARENTS OF HYPOTHYROID CHILDREN group For parents who want to share with other parents. NOT to be a replacement for a doctor’s guidance with your child.
- FTPO CANADA Thyroid group For Canadians only.
- FTPO UK and EUROPEAN THYROID group Specifically for those who live in Europe and who want to chat about issues related to their counties and regions.
- FTPO AUSTRALIA THYROID group For those in Australia who want a friendly and informative nature to their discussions!
- FTPO SPANISH ONLY THYROID group Strictly spanish speakers.
MORE GOOD GROUPS:
- STOP THE THYROID MADNESS FACEBOOK PAGE Here you will find posts which are pertinent information pertaining to patient experiences and wisdom. Patients can comment. Medical professionals welcome if you are eager to learn from patient experience and wisdom.
- STOP THE THYROID MADNESS POETRY PAGE A place to share your creative poetic spirit about your hypothyroid experiences. Humor appreciated! Artistic drawings also welcome if they pertain to hypothyroidism.
- STOP THE THYROID MADNESS MEMORIAL PAGE A place to give honor to someone who has passed on but who appreciated and used this patient movement for better treatment!
- LDN “Got Endorphins” Facebook group A way to talk to others in the use of Low Dose Naltrexone to improve your immune function.
- Iodine yahoo group Run by thyroid cancer patient Stephanie who beat thyroid cancer, this is a group that focuses on the use of iodine for good health and has gained important information over the years on the use of iodine, such as the need for supporting nutrients when using it. This group will help counter the negative information you may be hearing against iodine. Very informative and definitely worth exploring.
- Facebook Iodine group Run by Stephanie Buist who owns the above Iodine Yahoo group.
- Facebook Iodine group Run by Lynne Farrow, author of the The Iodine Crisis, plus Lynn Rasaitis.
- United Kingdom group Specifically if you live in the UK, this group is run by the dynamic Sheila of TPA-UK.
- STTM Blog Here is a place where you can read what’s on Janie’s mind or Guest posts, and can comment! This is not a place for questions, just comments. But you can read what others are saying. Sign up with the Blog notification to the left of the blog and below the links, which will send you an email when Janie posts. (Look on the left of any page on the bottom of the links to sign up)
- New Zealand Facebook group Heard good things, but do let me know.
- Life Coaching: Need to talk to someone about where you are going with your life, career, etc? This is a Life Coach I trust and recommend. He attended the Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching and focuses especially on high achieving creative minded types. To learn more about life coaching and to get a free sample session, click on the underlined link and tell him I sent you.
- Web Content and Coding Consultation: A highly recommended consultation when you need help with content management within WordPress, web coding, help with fixing your site if it just doesn’t look right to you, and recommendations on what you need, how much it’ll cost and how long it’ll take. This is done by the guy who helped create the STTM website.
LAB WORK packages designed specifically for readers of Stop the Thyroid Madness with good prices–STTM Thyroid and Adrenal Lab Packages