Are you switching to Nature-throid? Here’s 10 good things to know!

nature-throidWith so many folks reporting problems with the newly-formulated Armour, there is a growing body of individuals stating they are switching to Naturethroid by RLC Labs (formerly Western Research), another prescription brand of desiccated thyroid.  Here is info to carry with you if you switch:

1) Naturethroid has a coating on the outside, and some patients state they bite on the pill to remove the coating, and still try to do it sublingually. No sugar, but some are determined.

2) One grain of Naturethroid is 65 mg rather than the 60 mg that Armour users have been used to. Two grains are 130 mgs, etc. (One grain is actually 64.8 but it’s easier to round it up). Strengths are 1/4, 1/2, one grain, two grains, three grains.

3) The makers of Naturethroid will be creating a 1 1/2 grain tablet by next year to add to the sizes they currently have. Other sizes are in the works, as well.

4) Ingredients are:

• Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
  • Microcrystalline Cellulose
  • Dicalcium Phosphate
  • Sodium Starch Glycolate
  • Magnesium Stearate
  • Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
  • Stearic Acid
  • Carnauba Wax
  • Polyethylene Glycol

5) Naturethroid uses the same USP thyroid powder as any good desiccated thyroid product—it “adheres to full pharmaceutical purity and standardization on the consistency of the hormones along with full pre-and-post testing procedures associated with quality prescription products.”

6) RLC Labs is a small and friendly pharmaceutical company, and you are going to see improvements to their website coming.

7) Twitter has a new Nature Throid website.

8 ) RLC labs also distributes Westhroid, which is identical and mostly used by veterinarians.  There won’t be newly-created strengths for Westhroid as there will be for Naturethroid.

9) When switching, you will have to figure out if you need to be on a similar amount as before, or a different amount, according to symptoms.

10) And finally, it’s been around since the 1930′s–another tried and true desiccated thyroid product!

*From the UK? The Royal College of Physicians isn’t too smart.  See below.  And for other still-very-relevant posts, scroll down.

*Want to be informed of my blog posts? Curious what’s on my mind? Use the Notifications on the lower left of the links.

136 Responses to “Are you switching to Nature-throid? Here’s 10 good things to know!”

1. Cris

Hypothyroid patient dealing with symptoms and this medication craziness since September 2007 when had partial thyroidectomy due to thyroid cancer. Switched from Levoxyl to Nature-throid about a year ago as T4 only medication was horrible. Was only ever able to take ¾ grain Nature-throid which I did by chewing and swallowing one ¼ grain 3 times a day (6am, 10 & 12) and felt “better” but not great, still tons of symptoms.
    Being frustrated, in September 2012, switched to USP desiccated compounded thyroid with sustained release (made to take one capsule in the AM) felt a bit better but gave me horrible insomnia every few days. I thought something was “wrong with batch” and went back to Levoxyl for 5 days until I could get Nature-throid which I am currently back on (one ¼ grain 3x day).
    From what I can gather, the USP compounded thyroid had more T4 & T3 than Nature-throid (estimate: NT T4=28.5 T3=6.75; USP compounded thyroid T4=33.3 T3=7.85 with sustained release). My TSH tests have always been so/so, but best with the USP compounded thyroid but stopped it because of the horrible, constant insomnia.
    I feel like none of this medication is working for me because I still don’t feel right and still having all these other crazy symptoms (constant fatigue, numb/cold hands and feet, head to toe tingling sensations, dry eye, constipation, bloating, gas, brain fog, anxiety, palpitations, headaches, emotionally hyper sensitive, elevated cholesterol, dry/brittle skin, nails & hair etc. etc., etc.).
    Just want to feel good. Feel better. Feel “normal.”
    Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Patient groups: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/talk-to-others)

• Charity

if i were you i would contact a naturopath, it sounds like it could have something to do with your adrenals and the only way to test it properly is through a saliva test to test your cortisol levels , etc. alot of your symptoms sound like adrenal fatigue and your thyroid won’t be optimal until your adrenals are good.

• Tanja

Adrenal fatigue, leaky gut, and sympathetic dominance -/ you have to treat those before loading your body with thyroid meds. You will never tolerate higher doses because your body has the brakes on to save you…

• Janie

FYI: my sympathetic dominance improved just with using NDT. i.e. it was caused by a continued hypo state. So “treating” it was by being on NDT.

• Susan

After 5 months on Erfa And doing much better, now on 2 grains and HC- But strongly suspect loose stools, diarrea and tremors are side effects from Erfa- anything in particular to think about if switching to say Nature Throid? And could a switch help? S

2. LeAndra

Dr. Udell is a both a regular doctor and natural doctor who gets it. He is the only one who diagnosed me with Hashi. Fax him all the correct reports and he will see you. He gives free 15 min consults and you can gain a lot of insight from that. Two days ago I had full thyroid removal … nodules were HUGE and he is putting me on naturethroid.

• kevin

i am having a terrible time with euthyrox. Please help.

• Connie

What is Dr. Udell’s whole name, and where is he located? I would like to contact him.

3. Linda

I was put on Nuture Thyroid 4 MG instead of Armour 30MG and it sent me from being HypoThyroid to HyperThyroid. Is the amount the same? My doctor is having me only take 1/2 a pill a day now till he can see me and check my medicine.

• Doug

I wanted to add my 2 cents on thyroid levels and some info ingeneral which I hope may be of help to someone.

Thyroid seems to be one of the most misunderstood and misdiagnosed aspects of the endocrine system. Many doctors, like my GP i used to go to, only measure TSH and T4 levels. TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is produced in the pituitary gland to induce the thyroid gland to produce more hormone. Measuring TSH is largely a worthless measurement as it doesn’t say anything about what is happening at the cellular level. Being in range as so many doctors and endocrinologists look at is often missing the mark. Hypothyroidism is quite often under diagnosed in the general population.

Better measurements would include T3 Total and Freel, T4 Total and Free, and RT3 (Reverse T3). T4 is mostly converted in the cells to Free T3, which is often forgotten or ignored all together. Optimum T3 Free levels are in the 3.3 to 3.4 range. Don’t forget the thyroid antibodies…make sure to test them as well (there are two). If you have a positive level, it may likely indicate Hashimotos, even if your levels are in and out of the range. And should you have elevated antibody levels, going gluten free is an absolute must if you want to retain the the thyroid functioning at its best level. It is thought that the molecular make up of gliadin (the protein in Gluten) is similar to the molecular makeup of the thyroid, which is why it “attacks” itself (autoimmune response) causing damage to the thyroid. You can also get a simple blood test to see if you are ‘Gluten Intolerant”. Again, you must go gluten free if you are as ignoring this may lead you down the road to Celiac Disease and the tremendous dietary limitations that go with it. Some say that even if you have a positive antibody test result one time, but not the next time, the fact that you were ever in the elevated range is enough of an indication and should not be viewed as a “false positive”. High RT3 levels may indicate adrenal fatigue, as someone else stated here that the body is applying the brakes so to speak to protect it from further exhausting the adrenals. Let how you feel be the guiding light more so than the range.

I hope this is helpful.

• Erin

Hi Doug,

Do you know what a normal lab # or range for RT3 is? I suspect it is not what the lab is saying it is like so may other tests. And, if you have an opinion, I am currently on synthetic T4 and T3 and I have adrenal insufficiency with high cortisol at night. Should I switch to NDT or wait until I see improvement in my adrenals? Thank you.

4. undine2006

Feel wonderfully well since I changed from Levothyroxine, finally got my life back.
    Surprised to see each tablet contains calcium, thought that was something to be avoided with natural thyroid.

5. Dave

I just recently switched from NP Thyroid by Acella to Naturethroid by RLC Labs. Mainly because the NP is on back order. So far I love the Naturethroid. Before taking it I read constantly about Naturethroid and Celluose. I don’t know what the big deal is. NP Thyroid was soft and very sublingual. But I have found the Naturethroid to be equally as sublingual. I find it dissolves without any great effort. I don’t have to chew the pill either. It simply dissolves after a few minutes of mixing it with your saliva. The main reason I chose it was because it is the only NDT to be Hypoallergenic. It may be too soon but I love how it makes me feel. I was food shopping the other day and singing as I pushed my cart around. I felt so good I didn’t care what anybody thought. It just makes me feel really good. Nice and smooth, it’s wonderful. After years of never getting there I am Tickled to death with Naturethroid and how I feel on it.
    Thanks, Dave

• V

Interesting, I just started Nature-throid 4 days ago and am having an allergic reaction to it. When I dissolve/chew it, it makes my tongue swell and my lower lip go numb and swell. It also causes hives all over and severe hypo symptoms. I switched from Erfa because my FT3 and FT4 levels were low, but I was feeling hyperthyroid with heart palps. Guess I’m allergic to a filler in Nature-throid AND Armour AND Np Acella (tried them all) the best has been the Erfa, but I get severe muscle pain in my legs/hyper/hypo symptoms (No thyroid) I think it’s adrenal issues. We are talking about adding a compounded natural desiccated t4 with acidophilus to the Erfa to see if that helps with some Morning Cortef and a plethora of other prescribed meds/supplements. UGH!!

• Janie

One way to know if you’re allergic to porcine is see if you have the same reaction to bacon or ham. If not, which may mean a reaction to a filler, patients in your shoes go to compounded natural desiccated thyroid in order to control the fillers (not “natural desiccated T4″, which you wrote and could mean your doc is putting you on nothing but T4–a mistake). Also, one thing patients have learned repeatedly is not guess about adrenals. Symptoms of high cortisol can be similar to low cortisol, and there are different treatments for different variations. Patients learned to always do a 24 hour saliva cortisol test to see what’s going on.

6. jan

I have suffered with adrenal failure due to being taken on/ off prednesone on without titration. It “killed” my adrenal glands and now has no impact at all. I also had thyroid cancer and had both lobes removed 8 years ago. I fought with doctor after doctor to even begin to feel some positive changes and finally found a doctor that understood the t3-t4 conversion and the levels that are needed to feel better. I was on 2 1/2 tabs in the mornings and 2 in the afternoon. Nature throid needs that extra boost in the afternoon to keep me out of bed every afternoon. My current dr thinks I am on too much and has decreased my meds and I justf foresee spending day after day in bed. she isn’t knowledgable about thyroid and adrenal difficulties and with many endo’s they have always focused on diabetes because that’s where the money is. I have talked to several doctors who have admitted that they only spent 1 day at the most on adrenal insuffenciacy

7. Nonie

I switched from Armour to WP Throid/Westhyroid about three weeks ago. I’ve experienced severe stomach bloating which is causing pain in my abdominal. Has anyone else experienced this? I stop taking it for one day, the next day, no bloating. When I started back two days later major bloating. I started off at 130mg 65 am and 65 pm for about the first 2 1/2 weeks. I was having body pains so I switched it to 65am 32.5 pm for the last few days.

• Ellie

Hi – I have just started Westhroid going from Levothyroxine. I am also very bloated and have a sharp pain in lower abdominals (right side). This started the first day of taking it – not sure if it is related / a coincidence / wrong dose or what! Now I don’t know whether to stick with it or stop and go back to Levo :-(

• Janie

Sorry to read this. :( It may be a coincidence, or you are here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me Hope you figure it out, as NDT is a FAR better way to treat hypo.

• Jins

I switched from armour to WP thyroid 3 months ago. I had mild bloating and was feeling gassy. But it went away in few days. last week, my Dr increased the dose from 1.25 grain to 1.5 grain and I have been severely bloated and gassy. hoping the symptoms will subside. if not planning to try Nature Throid.

• Kathy

I have been on synthroid since 1980 when they removed my thyroid due to graves disease & I have seen one doctor after another because of problems with muscles, headaches, not being able to even be out in the summer months for very long unless I have water to cool down in. I was about 28 or 29 then & am now almost 62 & each year everything has gotten worse & more doctors & hospital bills from tests & my muscles, tendons, lymph system or something draws up in stomach area, back up into neck & head & the only way to stop it is to back off some of my synthroid. I am trying my best to find something I can take instead of synthroid (levothyroxine)

8. lori

@ V: RLC labs now has a new product as of August 2013, I am on naturethroid and have not tried this product but you could check it out- http://wpthyroid.com/ it’s called WP thyroid from RLC labs- it’s their purest formula yet with only 2 fillers •Inulin (from chicory root)
    and •Medium Chain Triglycerides (from coconut)
    was just checking this out today and then saw your post. hope that could be helpful for you. Lori

9. Linse

Has anyone experienced better results with naturethroid than armour?

10. Mae

I have hashimotos. My doctor finally put me on Naturethroid. The dose seems very tiny.
    It is 16.25 MG. Is it customary to do this?

11. Dee dee

any one have a suggestion for thyroid doctors in Nashville/Brentwood, TN?
    I have one now but he is leery of switching me to anything else to check and see if it will help me more than Armour.

Thanks,
    DD

12. Carol Mather

My doctor changed my thyroid tabs from levothyroxine to nature thyroid, this is day three woke up fine then started shaking and feeling panicky, could this be the new meds. I feel so bad today!!!