Are you switching to Nature-throid? Here’s 10 good things to know!

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 1.33.08 PM(This page has been updated to the current day and time. Enjoy!)

In 2009, there were many folks reporting problems with the newly-formulated Armour (and that has been true for 2015, sadly), just as there was a growing body of individuals stating they are switching to Naturethroid by RLC Labs (formerly Western Research), another prescription brand of desiccated thyroid which also makes WP Thyroid.

Today, there are even more quality brands to consider. And when a brand like Armour disappoints, many are also switching to NP Thyroid by Acella.

But if you are considering Naturethroid, here is info to carry with you if you switch:

1. Naturethroid has a coating on the outside, and some patients state they bite on the pill to remove the coating, and still try to do it sublingually. No sugar, but some are determined.
  2. One grain of Naturethroid is 65 mg rather than the 60 mg that Armour users have been used to. Two grains are 130 mgs, etc. (One grain is actually 64.8 but it’s easier to round it up). Strengths are 1/4, 1/2, one grain, two grains, three grains.
  3. The makers of Naturethroid started making 1 1/2 grain tablets by 2010.
  4. Ingredients are
    • Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
    • Microcrystalline Cellulose
    • Dicalcium Phosphate
    • Sodium Starch Glycolate
    • Magnesium Stearate
    • Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
    • Stearic Acid
    • Carnauba Wax
    • Polyethylene Glycol
  5. Naturethroid uses the same USP thyroid powder as any good desiccated thyroid product—it “adheres to full pharmaceutical purity and standardization on the consistency of the hormones along with full pre-and-post testing procedures associated with quality prescription products.”
  6. RLC Labs is a small and friendly pharmaceutical company.
  7. Twitter has a Nature Throid website.
  8. RLC labs also used to distribute Westhroid more than it does today (simlar), but that has largely been replaced by WP Thyroid–an NDT with very few fillers.
  9. When switching, you will have to figure out if you need to be on a similar amount as before, or a different amount, according to symptoms.
  10. And finally, it’s been around since the 1930’s–another tried and true desiccated thyroid product!

** Need the best groups on the internet to talk about your thyroid–totally based on wise patient experiences and wisdom?? Go here.

** Have you joined (liked) the STTM Facebook group? You’ll get solid and daily tips, information and inspiration from the Flagship of patient experiences and wisdom.

** Want to be informed of my blog posts? Curious what’s on my mind? Sign up for Notifications at the bottom of this page.

340 Responses to “Are you switching to Nature-throid? Here’s 10 good things to know!”

1. Tina

Janie,
    I started nature thyroid in April major hair loss issues prior, anyone following STTM protocol I started at 1 grain. And upping Splitting it half morning half evening. By August my hair issues intensified I loss half of what I had left. I’m depressed and scared. I stopped the thyroid med and hair loss returned like it was prior to ndt Not growing but not falling like whole on ndT

Hi Tina. Your answer is here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me i.e. it’s not about NDT not working.

• Janell

Janie, is shortness of breath a side affect of Armour? Ever since I started it I have have trouble breathing. I am thinking bout witching to another brand. Any insight? Thanks.

Janell, our observations tells us that shortness of breath is not directly a side effect of any natural desiccated thyroid. Instead, it can mean someone is still hypothyroid (i.e. didn’t raise high enough) or has either low iron or low cortisol. But trying a different NDT has been done by people….but they still have to understand how we raise it and the iron and cortisol issue.

2. Kimberly Schenk

I am being switched from Armour 45 mg to NT at 48.75. Does that sound right?

3. Kimberly Schenk

Yes, I am familiar with that. I just thought the number seemed odd. I have since seen a conversion chart.
    Thanks.

4. Francine

I transitioned from Synthroid/Cytomel combo (50/5mcg) to Naturethroid 10 days ago. First day I took 1 grain but couldn’t sleep so took half ever since. I’ve felt great but today I feel really awful. Should I increase it now or wait until the 2 week mark? I also have low iron/ferritin that I’ve been working on for the past year.

Hi Francine. Having trouble with sleep after starting NDT is a sure sign that you also have a cortisol issue that needs discovery with a saliva test and treatment. i.e. we are forced to stay low on NDT until we bring up that iron and treat the adrenals.

5. Heather alford

I have been nature throid for 6 weeks and I get aheadache about 2 pm everyday and starve from that point on. I am on the lowest dose and even started taking it every other day. Now I get the headaches/starvation every other day. Suggestions?

6. Heather alford

I wasn’t sure if it was a filler. My levels are borderline from getting my right lobe removed in April. I feel great on nature throid other than the headaches and I also get bad back neck and shoulder pain on those days. The dr put me on tirosint for the past couple of weeks and I have had not one issue with headaches or neck/shoulder pain. I don’t understand why this meds causing me pain when I take it but it stops when I don’t. Is 1/2 grain 1/2 of my normal pill since I am on the lowest dose? Are you sure going up won’t make me hyper?

7. Ronnie Hamblin

Janey on 25 October 2015 I switched from 120 mg Armour to 146.5 mg nature Throid. I have been feeling constantly fatigued. I’m going tomorrow to have a new set of blood work done. Almost every other day after I taken my nature throid I get very tired around 9 AM and go to sleep until 11 a M. However, I cannot find any side effects that says Nature throid would cause that. After I get the results of my free T-3, free T4, and TSH, I feel that I’m going to need an increase of my nature throid. What would you recommend that I raise by? 1/2 g each time?

8. Deb Nagle

I recently changed from taking .88 Synthroid to 81.25 mg of Nature-Throid. I have only been on it a week, but I feel like I am too low on the Nature-Throid. Is it too early to change to a higher dose and if it is not, how high should I go? I am still rather fatigued, little depression, cold feet, etc. Thank you!

9. Debra Orena

I am having such a run around. I have been hypothyroid for almost 20 months. I have gained 30lbs and being off sugar and low carbo diets never really lost weight. My TSH 0.013 comes back very low and my T3 288 high Every Dr thinks I’m Hyper …they lower me and I’m falling asleep, cant remember, pains in my leg, dry itchy skin. They dont listen to me, how I feel. Went to a holistic dr for my thyroid and skin rashes. He kept me on Armour and raised me higher, felt great. Put me on liver enzymes, adrenalin support a good probiotic and was treating me for a leaky gut. I couldn’t afford the supplements and him because my healthcare doesn’t pay for much.Found another Dr who’s a friend and cares about me. Hes working with me knowing my numbers don’t make sense, but I feel good. I went on a keto diet, off all breads,gluten, staying under 20 carbs lost an amazing 15 lbs in less the 2 weeks.No more rashes and hives. I am down 22lbs since Aug 2015. He checks my blood and again same as before. He puts me on Nature-thyroid after reading good things about it. I felt fine on it but developed bad stomach , gas and stools with red blood. From being constipated for over 2 years I though it was a hemorrhoid…but no its not. go to a gastro dr only to find out he was more interested in ridiculing me for going to a holistic dr and Leak Gut Syndrome. took my blood which showed a little higher then normal on my liver enzymes. Going to go for a colonoscopy but not with him! I looked up ingredients in Nature-throid and it has Polyethylene glycol which I am highly allergic to . its everywhere!!!! I wondering if this is where my bowel problems and inflammation in my stomach is coming from Will go back on Armour in the morning and probiotics. Any input and help in the supplement dept????

Debra, do you have that high FT3 while on Naturethroid?? It could be pooling http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com. As far as the gut issues you have, maybe it’s exactly as you suspect–your allergy to Polyethylene glycol. Perhaps WP Thyroid would be a better choice? It has fewer ingredients. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/armour-vs-other-brands

• Sally

Debra,
      WP-Thyroid is made by the same company and dosed the same as NT, but has no added excipient ingredients. Also, EnteraGam powder is a phenomenal prescription immunoglobulin powder that aids in healing leaky gut, colitis, IBS, etc. Not too many gastros are prescribing it, but you can call the EnteraGam Hub and find a provider local to you that can get samples to you.

10. Jeanne

After 10 years on Armour I was put on 90 mg due to convincing labs. I felt great! No more crumbling nails, no leg pain, and my body could wake up with my mind in the morning. Unfortunately, I had hard palpitations that I noticed upon getting into bed at night. I have to admit, I was thumping hard. The next lab showed almost no TSH (0.1 and then some). Free T3 in the higher but normal range and T4 in the lower but normal range. My ND was very concerned about the heart thumping. (I am 63 but in otherwise excellent health.) We switched to a combo of Nature throid (65mg) and levothyroxine (25 mg). This is the first time I’ve had to deal with dosages this way. I felt so so good, but the palpitations were a reality. I am looking forward to the next labs to see what this combo does.

Hi. See if #2 is your issue: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me i.e. you probably have either non-optimal iron levels or a cortisol issue, which NDT will reveal, thus the palps. Share this with your doctor, too.

• Jeanne

I am now being take off the 65 mg Nature-throid and about 37 mcg of levothyroxine (what a mistake THAT was). The naturopath now wants to put me on 75mg of Nature-throid. I’m okay with taking Nature-throid instead of Armour which I took for 10 years. She is telling me that 75 mg of Nature-throid is equivalent to 75 mg of Armour. Is this true?

Also, she’s putting me back on the dosage (75 mg) that originally indicated a need for more meds. I’m realizing she’s goes strictly by TSH values. My last test after the levo debacle indicated a .385 TSH which she insists is still too low. Obviously, I need to find another doctor and I am starting my search. In the meantime, I guess I’m going back to 75mg but Nature-throid not Armour. I am very discouraged. I’ve never had to mess with meds this much in a decade.

It may give you a slightly better punch than the Armour…but it’ll still be barely above a starting dose…sadly.

• Jeanne

Thanks for the quick reply. I will keep trying to find a doctor who will try your suggestions stated in a previous comment. So disappointed in this ND. It seems once I had the pounding heart from the 90mg she got scared and just plunked me back where I was. I sure felt great on that 90 mg of Armour though.

11. martha richardson

While on nature thyroid, I also take thyroid Aid helper and 3 drops of iodine. 2hours later I take Vitamin D,
    B12, Primrose oil, and Flaxseed oil with a Plant Base multiple Vitamin. is this ok? please advise.

12. Debra Nagle

I have been on 1 grain for 3 days. I am exhausted on this amount. You mentioned staying on 1 grain 2 weeks or less. My question is when can you up the amount – when you indicate 2 weeks or less – how less? A couple of days or longer? I just want to feel better. Thank you for your patience with all my questions.

13. Anja

I switched from levothyroxin and cytomel to nature throid 9 days ago. I used to take 75mg levo and 5mg cytomel. My doctor wanted to up my dose and she put me on 3/4 grains twice a day. Now 3 nights in a row I couldn’t fall asleep even though I was tired all day. And this morning I woke up before 5am after not even 5 hours of sleep. I’m guessing my dose is way too high?

14. Judy Usavage

i was switched from Armour 60mg because of heart palps to Nature thyroid approx 6 weeks ago. I’m experiencing increased sweating, very bad mood changes, headaches, shortness of breath, dizziness pain in different parts of body off and on, cold hands. I’m very sensitive to chemicals. Symptoms are worsening. Doctor things it is another condition I have but I felt fine before on Armour except for the once a week heart palps. Help!

15. Debra Nagle

Recently I increased my dose from 1 grain to 1 1/2 grains. I feel so irritated and my husband says he cannot believe how bad my mood is. Is this common? Energy level is still low. No one wants to be around me! How long must I stay on this amount before I increase? Will an increase help with this? I am so sorry for all the questions. I am about to give up and go back to Synthroid. Thank you for your help!

16. Fran Pichly

I had many problems with synthroid and have been on NatureThroid for 1mo, Immediately I felt great, all muscle tensions/pains went away. Three weeks on NT and suddenly I am having
    shoulder muscle pain/spasms and in my legs too. Is anyone familiar with WP Thyroid which
    has only two fillers and is supposed to be the purest option. Anybody familiar with NP Thyroid by Acella which also has fewer fillers? I’m thinking the fillers are causing my pain? Thanks.

17. Julie

Hi – my Dr agreed to switch me from levothyroxine to Nature Thyroid then she left and I got a new Dr. The first one started me out w/ half a grain. I felt bad. She raised it when my THS was 6, but only to 3/4 of a grain. Still feel bad. Now the new Dr isn’t familiar with NT and I know it needs raised badly. I took her lots of info I’d copied off but I don’t think she’s going to raise it. My THS is at 3 now and that seems to be all they look at. I don’t know what to do. I can’t find a Dr in the area who will work with me. What should I do?

18. Claire

I have tried many thyroid meds but nothing seems to be working. I have been on WP thyroid for 1.5 weeks. I feel really off balance, fast heart rate, few palps and headache. I had no problems with my thyroid meds until I got my gall bladder removed. I have not been able to get stable since it’s removal. I do not have low cortisol or low iron. I am very sensitive to meds. I take adrenal support supplements. My doctor is very cautious about increasing my meds due to my heart reaction. Thanks.

Hi Claire! You know, you are actually describing symptoms of having either a cortisol or iron problem. Have you done a 24 hour adrenal saliva test rather than blood? And patients have noticed that adrenal support supplements aren’t usually enough if saliva proves pretty low cortisol.

19. Claire

Yes. I have had blood and salvia testing done. My cortisol is on the high side. I do not what more I can do or test for. Thanks.

High cortisol can cause the same symptoms you describe, we’ve noticed. I once had high saliva results at all four times and I was miserable. It pushes adrenaline up apparently, and also makes you more hypothyroid due to the rise in RT3. So we have to find the cause of the high cortisol. Mine was taking too much progesterone. Yours may be something else.

20. Claire

What do you suggest I test for? Also, what should I do in the meantime. Keep going with WP Thyroid? I have had my heart checked out, no structural problems. I get a really bad ache down my left arm and tightness in my chest and back. I am miserable.

21. Claire

How much does that cost? How long? Thanks

22. Claire

You had mentioned a coaching call. I am not sure how much it costs. That is what I was refering to. Thanks.

23. Claire

Thanks. I will check out the link you sent. I am starting to have bad insomnia again too. I am only taking a quarter of a grain. I halfed it this morning. This morning I feel very light headed. My PCP is now suggesting taking an anti-depressant and work thru the side effects of WP. He does not know what to do.

24. Claire

Should I get my salvia cortisol rechecked? Here is blood cortisol from June 2015 my level at 8.15 am was 11.9 mcg/dL and the range was 3.7-19.4 mcg/dL. I need to find my salvia cortisol results. Thanks.

Claire, patients found out the hard way that they can’t go by blood. They were seeing high results often, yet saliva proved they were low, and symptoms fit. Or vice versa. Blood is measure both bound and unbound so doesn’t give the idea of what the cells are receiving like saliva does. Also, we found out that we can’t treat by saliva results much older than 3 months. They change.

25. Debra Nagle

Can you please tell me how much you increase after you reach 2 grains? Is it still 1/2 grain until you reach 3 grains? After you reach 3 if you still need to increase, how much should you increase? Thank you

26. Wendy

I request to be switched from levo to wp thyroid the beginning of Nov. My dr said she doesn’t prescribe ndt but referred me to another dr who does and wrote the first rx so i could start. I was on 200mcg levo and i was prescribed naturethroid 130mcg. Im not sure if thats a comoarable dose to levo or not but ive steadily gained weight with no change in diet. I feel incredibly well other than that. Im off the anxiety chronic pain and mood drugs. My appt with the new dr isnt until the end of Jan to ask about the dosage comparison…any advice?

27. Claire

Janie, do most people take natural thyroid twice a day? Also, do you suggest increasing after 2 weeks?

28. Claire

I know this sounds crazy given some of my symptoms but it feels like a need more WP not less. I was thinking of trying to split my dose, but I am not sure when to try the second dose.

29. Sommer

Hi! I switched from armour at 90 to naturethroid 130 (my t3 was still low) my brain fog is back and horrible!!! Any one else have this problem? I think I should go back on armour…the brain fog is horrible in the afternoons. I am currently nursing my 16 month old so not sure if it is hormone..Thank you!!!

30. Debra Nagle

I apologize for all the questions. I have been on 2 grains for a week. The last two nights I have experienced insomnia and today I feel as though I am anxious and feeling a tightness in my throat and heart palpitations. Does this mean I am on too much and need to cut back or should I increase and if so, by how much. Once you reach 2 grains do you still increase by 1/2 grain? Thank you for your constant support and answers.

31. Katie

My doctor is at a loss…My TSH has always been good. Pre medication, my labs were: TSH .9 (range of .4-4.5) But free t3 low at 1.99 (range 2.4-4.2) and free t4 .89 (range .8-1.7). After 2 years of finding a doctor that would treat my low t3, I am currently alternating 3/4 grain and 1 grain of naturethroid every other day, as well as 5mcg of liothyronine daily. My current labs put me at TSH L .10 (.3-5), free t3 2.4 (2-4.4) and free t4 .84 (.8-1.8). My doctor is hesitant to raise my medication further based on my low TSH, surprise, surprise :) I am yet agiain on the hunt to find a new doctor, but any idea why pre medication, my TSH would be so low with also having low free t3 and free t4? At this point, an increase in naturethroid would be ideal? liothyronine as well? Thanks for any help!

Well, here’s a couple of thoughts: First, when we see a low TSH like that with a low Free T3, it seems to nearly always point to hypopituitary. See this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/hypopituitary And when someone has hypopit, treatment is still the same for those without, which is explained on this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

Second, we learned (and this would ESPECIALLY be true with hypopit) that we canNOT go by the TSH, but by symptom removal and the free T3 and free T4, plus other things we see as explained in above NDT link.

I am not a doctor, but can give the above information for you to decide, and can say if your situation were mine, I would raise and raise again to get those free’s up to where other patients have found success. But you decide for you.

• Katie

Thank you so much! Truly helpful :)

• Katie

I guess this makes sense as a recent MRI discovered a pituitary microadenoma. Not sure if that may be the cause of all this! Hopeful that I will find a doctor that can figure it out one of these days!

32. Sarah

I had started Armour 6 months ago. We raised from 1 grain to 2 over about two months. I haven’t seen a huge difference in the way I feel yet. My last labs showed TSH suppressed as it should be when on NDT, and a high t3 with a middle range t4. My heart has been beating out of it’s chest about 100bpm resting and worse when trying to workout so I asked if we could tapper down a little since i’m feeling somewhat hyper. The Dr wants to put me on 113mg of Nature Thyroid instead of Armour since the dose is only in halves. I’m worried about switching brands-will I feel major changes or side effects? My iron panel was totally normal but I have not had adrenals tested yet. Will ask for it at the next visit.

A few pieces of information for you to consider…first, it’s a strong minority that would feel fabulous on only two grains, we’ve noticed. Most seem to need more than that.

Second, I can’t tell for sure by how you worded it…but do you understand that our lab results aren’t about just “falling in the normal range” but more about where they fall…i.e. optimal. Are your iron labs optimal? See this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values

Third, when you say your free T3 is that high while you are still not feeling improvement, that implies you are pooling and the T3 is not getting to your cells well. That’s usually due to inadequate iron and/or a cortisol problem. Read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me

Finally, your doctor will try to test your cortisol via blood. Doesnt work. We learned the hard way that it needs to be saliva. You can order your own saliva test! http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/recommended-labwork

• Sarah

Thanks-I do understand about optimal vs in normal range. Trust me I have fought tooth and nail for my Dr to hear me on that one! lol I am concerned however with going to a higher dose when I am sweating severely and have a 175 HR -100bpm resting when working out already. I don’t want to give myself a heart attack it feels like my heart is beating out of my chest already! My iron was on the high end of the range so I don’t think i’m pooling but you never know. What kind of iron supplement do you take if you are pooling? I’ll demand the cortisol. thanks!

No, no, we don’t raise when we have problems like that. We look at what is causing them and treat those issues. Severely sweating might be this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/aldosterone and that means you will want to explore having a cortisol problem, too: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info As far as iron that high, might want to explore MTHFR, which will cause your body to be less effective in breaking down iron for use, thus putting you in a low iron state: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/mthfr

• Sarah

Thank You Janie! I did email my DR about cortisol and she said “we can talk about it, but I don’t know how accurate a cortisol test would be” ugh. Anyway will just be happy to get my HR down a bit, I hate this feeling of it beating out of my chest when i’m just relaxing. Who knows-my thyroid antibody levels are off the chart and I used to be hyper! Can’t wait for my thyroid to burn itself out so I den level out on a dose. Thyroid disease sucks.

Sarah, we sure do understand. Here we have great knowledge based on very successful experiences and great wisdom, and yet so many doctors pooh-pooh it all because they don’t understand it. It’s a predicament, for sure. Saliva testing has always fit our symptoms; blood has all too frequently not since it’s measuring both bound and unbound cortisol. So many patients end up ordering their own testing and using this page: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values

By the way, patients are very successful in lowering those antibodies without waiting on the thyroid to burn itself out! Being on Natural desiccated thyroid alone has done it for many, or selenium, or iodine (yes, iodine!) or removing all gluten, or Low Dose Naltrexone!!

33. Anna

Janie, out of curiosity, which brand of NDT are you currently on? I remember reading that you no longer take Erfa…

Have you (or anyone else here) had an opportunity to determine the effectiveness and safety of Thai NDT compared to US/Canadian brands? I am seriously considering switching to one of the Thai brands (it seems there are now three brands available, the newcomer being called TR Man), as the price of NDT has literally tripled in Europe in recent months…:-(

I am currently using NP Thyroid. As far as the Thai brands, there is a plethora of patient reports that the Thai NDTs work great and so far, haven’t seen anything from patients that implies they have been harmed by them at all. I have personally not been happy about all the fillers in Thyroid-S, but again, haven’t seen harm from them.

34. Trish

I’m currently taking compounded thyroid. T3 22.5mcg and T4 95mcg. My new doctor has prescribed Nature-Throid 65MG. That doesn’t seem like nearly the same dose. I’m afraid I’ll be feeling really crummy in a very short time. Does that dose sound correct? Will it be enough?

35. Debra Nagle

I have finally made it to 2 1/2 grains and I have had the best day in 6 weeks. Thank you for all the information you have provided. There were times I thought of going back to Synthroid, but you kept providing me with information and encouragement. Now that I am at 2 1/2 grains and if I need to increase, how much do you increase? 1/2 grain? Thank you.

Generally, what we’ve learned from each other are 1/2 grain raises, but if we feel we’re getting close to optimal, we’ve done 1/4 grain raises.

36. Meg

Hi, I am seeing my doctor this Monday….I got diagnosed recently with Hashimotos…but no medication. I am requesting medication and will also learn what my meagre health plan will cover. My doctor is hesitant for me to get on thyroid medication because I experienced a period of intense anxiety, depression and insomnia for a couple of months (I think getting off an anti-depressant, doing another one short term – which seemed to set off anxiety and insomnia)…anyway…I have to have energy, and don’t, major brain fog but do have sleep issues still, not as bad.

I don’t know if I can get/perform the saliva testing for cortisol…it seems intuitive my cortisol off the charts. I guess my question is, what does one do when one has high cortisol?? I’d like to have a back-up plan in case I react badly to thyroid meds….example extreme insomnia and anxiety. There must be a way to counteract all this (it seems so weird to me to have such low energy issues and at same time have the anxiety) Anyway, thanks for the forum!

37. Debra Nagle

I have been at 2 1/2 grains for a couple of weeks and felt very good. Last night when I went to bed, I had heart palpitations. When I spoke to my doctor, he thought I was on too high of a dose because I was on .88 Synthroid. My question is – does what I am experiencing with heart palpitations mean I am too high or too low? Also, since I was in .88 Synthroid, am I too high? Thank you.

38. M K

I started taking Naturethroid on Monday – 1gr 65mg. The bloating this week is crazy and I am exhausted. More than before taking this. Is my body possibly just adjusting?

39. Sleepy and tired after starting NDT

Hi, I just switched from Synthroid (75mcg) to Nature throid (1 grain) since my T3 was below a minimum range. I am feeling very tired, sleepy and have headaches. Before I always was waking up during the night for a couple of times but since I started NDT I am sleeping for 9 hours without any interruptions and still feel exhausted in the morning. I am wondering if you have any ideas what could cause it? Would really appreciate.

Hi. Well, part of the problem is that one grain is simply a starting dose from which we are meant to raise again and again to find our optimal dose. But, it also sounds like you now have low cortisol (from having been on Synthroid). Not feeling refreshed when you get up in the morning is your clue. So you would want to start with the Discovery Steps here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info Patients do get some relief from raising to 1 1/2 grains…but if cortisol is low, we can’t get to our optimal dose yet without going hyper due to the T3 going high in the blood due to the low cortisol.

You will also need to look at your iron levels, because being on Synthroid can also cause that to tank. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ferritin
      A lot of reading, I know, but we have to become informed to get well.:)

• Sleepy and tired after starting NDT

Hi Janie, thank you so much for your answer. My iron is fine since I am supplementing with it already for 6 months. So my main suspect is adrenals. I am going to see my doctor in 2 weeks from now. Do you think it will be ok to start raising NDT after 3 weeks on 1 grain or it is already too long?

Hi. When you say your iron is fine….females have discovered that fine is when iron is getting close to 110, % sat around 35, TIBC towards the bottom of the 300’s, and when all the latter is good, ferritin can go to 70-90 eventually. As far as raising, what most patients do is raise in two weeks by 1/2 grain…but if iron is low or cortisol is problematic, most can’t get above 1 1/2 grains without having either too high RT3 called pooling or an increase in RT3. That’s why it’s so critical to get those optimal, we’ve learned repeatedly over the years. Just information for you to consider. :) http://www.stopthehtyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me

40. Sleepy and tired after starting NDT

Hi Janie, thank you so much for your reply. My iron is 98 and ferritin is 42. My doctor didn’t want to test anything else regarding iron panel. I am really worried about adrenals but I am living in NY and I can’t do saliva test due to state law. I hope for a miracle case of my adrenals to start recovering based on better thyroid treatment….

Though we don’t call 98 “anemic”, we know it’s not optimal. Same with a ferritin in the 40s. Just things to consider. And you can’t get out of hypothyroidism with low cortisol. You know what a few NYers told us? They get a friend or family to order it (in a state that’s legal) and they go pay a visit. :)

41. Sleepy and tired after starting NDT

Janie, thank you so much for your note. I will try to increase my iron supplements a bit – I am taking just 25 mg daily now. I am also taking adoptogens, vitamins E, C and B for adrenals. I know that it is not very representative but I had a blood test for cortisol which came with 11.3 (in 6.4 – 21 range). Would you consider it to be a sign of low cortisol and it is supposed to be at least in the upper range?

In the early years, we did both blood and saliva testing. And for too many, we saw that blood wasn’t reflective of the symptoms the way saliva was. Some would have “high blood cortisol”, yet saliva showed low with symptoms to match. Conversely, there would even be some whose blood showed low cortisol, yet saliva revealed high around that time as did symptoms. It was crazy. So we came to the conclusion that saliva is the way to go for the kind of adrenal problems we as thyroid patients have…and thus there’s no way for me to comment on your blood result. Now for those with Addisons, this may not be.

• Sleepy and tired after starting NDT

Hi Janie, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, really appreciate it. To be honest I don’t know what to do – I feel way worser. My next appointment with endocrinologist is in 2 weeks. I also just moved to the US and don’t know anyone from another state to ask to help me with the saliva test. I guess I just have to continue with NDT and see what happens…