With so many folks reporting problems with the newly-formulated Armour, there is a growing body of individuals stating they are switching to Naturethroid by RLC Labs (formerly Western Research), another prescription brand of desiccated thyroid. Here is info to carry with you if you switch:
1) Naturethroid has a coating on the outside, and some patients state they bite on the pill to remove the coating, and still try to do it sublingually. No sugar, but some are determined.
2) One grain of Naturethroid is 65 mg rather than the 60 mg that Armour users have been used to. Two grains are 130 mgs, etc. (One grain is actually 64.8 but it’s easier to round it up). Strengths are 1/4, 1/2, one grain, two grains, three grains.
3) The makers of Naturethroid will be creating a 1 1/2 grain tablet by next year to add to the sizes they currently have. Other sizes are in the works, as well.
4) Ingredients are:
- Porcine Thyroid Powder, U.S. Pharmacopeia
- Microcrystalline Cellulose
- Dicalcium Phosphate
- Sodium Starch Glycolate
- Magnesium Stearate
- Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
- Stearic Acid
- Carnauba Wax
- Polyethylene Glycol
5) Naturethroid uses the same USP thyroid powder as any good desiccated thyroid product—it “adheres to full pharmaceutical purity and standardization on the consistency of the hormones along with full pre-and-post testing procedures associated with quality prescription products.”
6) RLC Labs is a small and friendly pharmaceutical company, and you are going to see improvements to their website coming.
7) Twitter has a new Nature Throid website.
8 ) RLC labs also distributes Westhroid, which is identical and mostly used by veterinarians. There won’t be newly-created strengths for Westhroid as there will be for Naturethroid.
9) When switching, you will have to figure out if you need to be on a similar amount as before, or a different amount, according to symptoms.
10) And finally, it’s been around since the 1930′s–another tried and true desiccated thyroid product!
*From the UK? The Royal College of Physicians isn’t too smart. See below. And for other still-very-relevant posts, scroll down.
*Want to be informed of my blog posts? Curious what’s on my mind? Use the Notifications on the lower left of the links.