THYROID CANCER IS AN EASY CANCER?? Patients are appalled!

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 11.58.29 AM

“May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.”  ~Nelson Mandela

It’s not uncommon when perusing the internet to see the word “easy” associated with “thyroid cancer”, or described as “the best kind of cancer to get”… as if of all cancers, this one is somehow less difficult, less arduous, a walk in the park or a piece of cake cancer.

Nor is it uncommon for thyroid cancer patients to be told something in a similar vein by their doctors. And of course, many of those doctors will use the “one little pill” pronouncement about the treatment afterwards. Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy!!

So where is the truth? Do you have reason to be nervous about your surgery? About your cancer? Is it that easy? What will your life be like after surgery?

One side of the story

Many thyroid cancer patients do report that all went well in many ways. They caught it early enough. It didn’t spread to their lymph nodes. Some didn’t even have to use pain medications after their surgery. If some did, it was short-lived. Others moved over to Tylenol after going home. Or ice packs. Drains were removed smoothly. Recovery went smoothly. Energy returned in several weeks. And they report that the cancer remained gone.

But here’s the other side of the story which completely dispels the myth that thyroid cancer is easy or the “best” cancer to get.

1) No matter where the cancer is, the emotional reaction is the same.

Many a thyroid cancer patient will tell you about their fears, depression, aloneness or anxiety when they were told. Or the denial, anguish, anger and stress they feel. Or the numbness. Or the fears of it returning. Or the unknown.

2) No surgery is fun, and that includes thyroid removal

Who wants to endure the pre-op or the aftereffects of surgery. No matter if some do better than others, it’s not fun to be in a hospital, be put to sleep, the waking up, the drains, the recovery, the discomfort, the time away, and the cost.

3) Many thyroid cancer patients have to endure RAI treatment after surgery and the side effects

RAI stands for Radioactive Iodine Ablation, also called I-131, given in either in liquid or capsule form. Since the thyroid easily absorbs iodine, and the radiation is strong, it serves to destroy any remaining tissue or cells that might still have thyroid cancer in them.

And side effects are far from pleasant and can include isolation, stomach problems, heart palps, neck tenderness, all over achiness, changes in taste, salivary inflammation and parotitis, facial or neck redness or “sunburns”, peeling skin, fatigue, fogginess, nausea, dry eyes, irregular period or other reported problems.

Then comes the reported risks that can come later in life due to having RAI, which include “bladder, breast, central nervous system, colon and rectum, digestive tract, stomach, pancreas, kidney (and renal pelvis), lung, or melanoma of skin”. Keep in mind this is about “risk” rather than a definite outcome, but it’s not fun to consider.

You can read of one patient’s opinion and experience with RAI titled Why have million of patients been treated with RAI?

4) The fear of recurrence always lingers!

Life-long monitoring is a sure bet when one has had thyroid cancer. The itchy reminder that it “could” come back never goes away when one has to have neck examinations, certain thyroid blood tests or neck ultrasounds.

5) The “one little pill” mantra of easiness is foolhardy

That one little pill is a reference to T4-only, aka thyroxine or levothyroxine, also commonly known as Synthroid or other brand names. And reported patient experiences for all too many reveal continual problems, sooner or later.  Equally as silly, that one little pill leads to the use of many other pills to treat the symptoms of continued hypothyroidism that many report finding themselves with while on the T4-only, one little pill. Those include statins, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety or pain meds, to name a few.

The conclusion?

You are not alone. Thyroid patients know that thyroid cancer is not as “easy” as they make it sound, nor is it the “better” cancer!  We are with you! Join the group below for camaraderie, wisdom and support!

This page was brilliantly updated July, 2015 to reflect even better information. Enjoy!

**************

1-Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 8.23.50 PM

177 Responses to “THYROID CANCER IS AN EASY CANCER?? Patients are appalled!”

1. Joann Hansen

hi I was diagnosed 2 days before thanksgiving in 2005. I was also 4 1/2 months pregnant with my now 8 year old daughter. I was told do you want to continue with the pregnancy? Of course I did, why would they ask me that? My baby was born 6 weeks early and perfect, me I had my surgery 6 weeks later and missed about the first 3 months of my daughters life..I could have written that article!! The one pill and done total bs.. I take 40 pills a day, have no thyroid or parathyroids. My last 10 years have been a constant struggle…I remember asking the dr what the survival rate was and he said 10 years but I had the “good Cancer” like any Cancer is good. So as I approach my 10 yr anniversary ofy Cancer, I’m terrified of the next body scan. Just prays that it’s all clear, God bless you Jill 🙏👍

• Corinne

I would like to connect with Paula as I use a pendulum to test everything u describe as well. My email is corinnepopovich@hotmail.com

• Donnia Robertson

Reply to Joann Hansen, Joann I had triplets 34 years ago. I had hyperactive thyroid when my girls were two years old. A knot came up in my throat and they found it was in my thyroid. It was a cancer incased in a Rhine. No treatments of any kind. I had a problem getting my calcium level right and take a thyroid pill every day. I am just fine, and I give God the Glory as I ask him to let me raise my triplets, and I believe you will be too. One of the triplets is having a hard time now with her thyroid and heart going crazy, and I am beside myself for her. May God Bless you!!

2. Paula

Thank you for your site and blog, Jane. This comment is regarding your blog on the change in ERFA formulation. I have not been on your site in a while and missed the notification last May that folks had noticed a return of symptoms on ERFA.. I had been on original ERFA for a few years, off armour, and felt much better. I started using my recently filled ERFA prescription (first time not directly from ERFA) , maybe a month ago. About two weeks ago, I noticed I had to get prone by 1:00 in the afternoon or I would practically decompensate – extreme weakness, inability to cope with anything,loss of appetite, etc. I thought I was having a possible relapse of CFS, which I have never had, but it has been a stressful year. I use a pendulum to test my medications, homeopathic remedies, etc. After hearing myself tell a friend , “I feel like I did when I tried to get off thyroid medication a few year ago”, I decided maybe I had better test my thyroid med. It tested a definite “NO”. I had some of my older ERFA left and it tested yes. I have taken it for a couple of days now and yesterday I noticed that I was suddenly feeling more creative again – and had not needed to lie down or fall down 🙂
    I am not sure from the blog, what folks are turning to, to replace the ERFA. I only have about 15 tablets left and am wondering what to do next. Thank you so much for all that you do.

3. Julie buckel

I had hashimotos for about 4years which was just watched because tsh tests looked normal. It turned into thyroid cancer. After 12 years it has been a struggle just to maintain any energy level. I feel that my hashimotos and cancer were caused by wheat and gluten intolerance. My GP suggested it and when tested I have the genetic marker for it. At the time I found out I had cancer I had already stopped eating wheat and gluten to solve tummy aches with rumbling gas. (No fun in college) so when curious to prove what wheat and gluten issue I do have I refused as it requires me to consume it so my biopsy can read my bodies reaction. I also have recently learned that a lack of progesterone can cause hypothyroid issues and I know I have that in my family. The things that have been the hardest have been the anxiety that has made it necessary to change my career and steals your joy and interferes with your relationships, the weight gain and the fatigue. I power through it but would love to just effortlessly do the things I danced my way through before. I also blame my 200 mcg a day pill for making me need a knee replacement as a side effect is knee pain. The replacement didn’t heal correctly so lots of pain and immobility 10 years later. The same clinic did both procedures. My endo had told me that I would have more cortisol running through my veins because of medication but I hadn’t realized how negatively that would effect healing. I am on higher amounts of t4 only med because my treatment did not include radioactive treatment to get rid of tissue left in thyroid. Not sure if that’s good or bad at this point.

4. kristy miles

i am scared! I have for years, now I read your Sttm page been suffering from Hashi’s! The last 2-3yrs I have been fighting ignorant WA Dr’s & waiting long wait lists in between for another in the hopes they know something about all this! Last 2 Dr’s have been Dr’s who support Naturopathic ways, the first diagnosed Hashi’s & nodes on my thyroid, said she wasnt worried as tests were in normal range & scooted me next door to the naturopath who decided I needed a diet. Onwards to a hormone clinic, she did more tests and pronounced low Progesterone, Dhea, High cholesterol (which she’d just stated/removed me from my 10yr meds I didnt need!) famial Herat disease/early death & No need to worry! Hormone replacement & High insulin resistance meds i am now on! Cholesterol we will look at in six months?!! I have now made my 10th appt with finally an Endo & I keep reading & i brain fog little, Im fatiguing easily, my family were all cancerous/deceased & they play games with our lives?. I hope to god he knows what Im supposed to have done for me because everyday Im reading more tests to add to the list I have to question him on!
    Do you know No9 actually advised me I dont have a thyroid issue & definately not Hashi’s from the tests! Then I showed her my previous test results – again? And she was still not interested stating if she could control the other things she was sure I wouldnt need to discuss thyroid with her in six months time?!! OMG!!

• Anne

Kirsty miles.. I am also in wa, southwest. Thyroid wa is a great source of drs they recommend.. I called a compounding pharmacy to ask who prescribes NDT. I found two doctors and even after telling her all my symptoms I’m still struggling 8 months later but I think she was hesitant to prescribe.. Blood tests just came back abnormal again so I have a case to change medication she did tell me there are options so fingers crossed this time she’ll prescribe what I need.. Her reason not to jump straight to NDT was the cost.. But now I am willing to pay what ever to feel well

• Amy Cork

I have been through a very similar experience. I have been going to my PCP for almost 3 years with extreme fatigue, brain fog, weight loss, weight gain, skin rashes, swollen joints… I was given Zoloft and Clonazepam. I was told I was depressed, although I argued I didn’t feel depressed. I kept saying every visit I thought it was my thyroid and my dad and sister have Hashimoto’s. It was written off with “your TSH is normal high”. This went on until October of this year, when my hair started falling out in clumps. I called and demanded my PCP give me a referral to an Endo. The nurse very rudely told me I probably would not get in but she would send over my records. I got in right away. My thyroid (which was never felt by my PCP) was enlarged 3 times the normal size. He sent me for an ultrasound right then and for a complete thyroid panel. US showed Hashimoto’s and a 1.4cm nodule. He sent me a week later for an FNA. I have papillary thyroid cancer. Surgery will be Dec 22nd. Trust yourself and your body!! I wished I would of demanded sooner. Best wishes!!

• Carol cork

Hi Amy I just wanted to get in touch as you are in cork & I had my Thyroid removed in September 2015 & just out of hospital after radioactive iodine. Very little support or info so if you need anything get in touch.

• Ger

Had thyroid cancer
            Surgery 2013 followed by r a I in Cork
            Little support but good outcome
            Contact me if u need

• .Carol

Hi Ger.
            Just wondering how long it took you to feel ‘Normal’ again.I’m still exhausted & my Dr keeps changing the dose of my tablets. Thanks

Carol, by how you stated that, it sounds like you have been put on the inadequate levothyroxine or Synthroid, and that alone is why you aren’t feeling well. Check this out: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work Your doctor is also dosing you by the TSH, which also doesn’t work. Read this: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/tsh-why-its-useless

Yes, it’s a lot of reading, but you have to become informed to get well! We are light years ahead of doctors like this. 🙂

• Karen

Except for it was my mom and she has Graves, our stories are identical. 3 years of saying I think it’s my thyroid…finally pushing hard enough to get heard! …and cancer.

5. debra bush

I have thyroid problems bad. My dr. Put me on sthtyroid for it and i really dont think they are working. Plus i have diabetes too . I will know what he is going to put me on shots or pills. I am 49 years old and i feel like i am falling apart. I am still tired my heart races i am dizzy 24/7 my stomach hurts sometimes. I am fusterated. I need some one to help me.

Debra, sorry to read what you are going through. 🙁 I think you need to order and thoroughly read the revised STTM book in addition to the website. It’s all the help you need to explain why Synthroid is not the way to go, what is the way to go, and how you need to check your adrenals: http://www.laughinggrapepublishing.com

6. Corinne

You should check candida as this can cause some of the symptoms u describe, as candida can attack the thyroid as well. Hope this helps, diet is the key.

7. Dawn from Michigan

To Jill Gurfinkel

Thank you for writing this. I almost cried when I read it because it is SO TRUE. I had thyroid cancer at age 19 and was UNDER treated with synthetics for 23+ years which resulted in many of the symptoms & difficulties you mentioned. It took months of reading (Stop The Thyroid Cancer & Dr. Mark Starr’s book) along with much effort to get on track to a solution.

23+ years was a lot to lose and makes me deeply sympathetic with people who are put in prison for years for something they didn’t do. The lost years can never be reclaimed.

I thank God for for people like YOU who help explain the situation to others. Before the internet, people suffered in silence. The gateway is now open for thyroid cancer patients to share and get better.

I don’t know what I would have done without “you people” !!!!! Taking 1/3 of a dose for 23 years kept me alive but certainly not functioning on all 4 cylinders. If I wouldn’t have taken control of my own dosing a few years ago with information learned from sites like this, I would be bedridden at best but likely dead.

Thank you again for speaking out.

8. Kathy Smith

Hi everyone! I am 65 years old, was diagnosed with bilateral benign nodules at 59. After the first doctor I saw told me of the nodules (and also told me I did not need a biopsy because 99% of the time they were benign!) I found another wonderful doctor who seems to take this more seriously! I have an ultra sound every six months, and an aspirate biopsy if anything has enlarged. So far so good, but now I’m wondering if this treatment is the best for me. My blood work always comes back within ‘normal range’, (except high calcium occasionally) I am not on any meds, but I am so tired all the time, have hair loss, and a few other symptoms. What would you suggest I do, second opinion? I don’t care ‘how curable’ this cancer is, it’s still cancer, and it scares you to know the possibility exists. Endo Docs need better training when it comes to discussing thyroid cancer! Thanks for all the good you do!

• Chris

Hello Kathy,

You may want to be checked for hyperparathyroidism. High blood calcium is a definite red flag for this disease. The parathyroid glands (4) are separate from the thyroid and serve a different function. Here is a quote from a specialist, “However, it is extremely rare for people to have high calcium levels in their blood… and not have a parathyroid tumor. If you have high calcium in your blood, chances are extremely high you have hyperparathyroidism, unless your PTH is VERY LOW. Parathyroid disease, hyperparathyroidism, calcium, parathyroid calcium disease, parathyroid gland problem. Parathyroid problem and parathyroid disease.”

Further, “In diagnosis and diagnosing parathyroid disease and diagnostic testing of parathyroid disease, it is NORMAL for patients with hyperparathyroidism (parathyroid disease) to have calcium levels that are high one time it is checked, and normal the next time it is checked. ALL patients with hyperparathyroidism will have calcium levels that change from day to day, week to week, month to month. MOST patients with hyperparathyroidism have calcium levels that FLUCTUATE from high to slightly high, to high-normal. This does NOT mean that you don’t have the disease…you do, and this is how it affects most people.”

Check out parathyroid.com

• B. Triplett

Dr. Norman treated my son for parathyroid disease! He is a wonderful doctor/endo. We lived in South Carolina and traveled to Florida to see him. Before going, we were on the phone with him discussing what we needed to do. Best doctor I have ever dealt with. By the way, my daughter was diagnosed at the age of 22 with thyroid cancer. We have been riding this roller coaster ever since! Now at 25, I just pray she will one day feel good again. Anemia and stomach issues have been a constant problem.

9. Dandoon

I was diagnosed with a follicular thyroid cancer at 30y of age (last year) only got a hemithyroidectomy and apparently no need for radio or removal of other half as I was lucky and got it all out- need continued monitorin, my q is that I have an inflamed knee and all my blood tests are neg for any autoimmune diseases, my thyroid hormones (t4) is within range, but I don’t know why my knee is so swollen, steroid injection doesn’t do anything, nor do anti-inflammatorys. I’ve always been border line anaemic- so not sure where to take it from here- any help/suggestions?

10. Esther Fair

“You’re lucky….of all the cancers there are, this is the one you want.” That’s what my consultant said when I was diagnosed on jan 12th this year. I’ve had surgery and am now awaiting my radiotherapy. Everything you have said above is exactly how I feel but no-one else seems to get it!

It’s so refreshing to know that I’m not along in the way I am thinking. My life completely changed this year and everyone else thinks it’s just about this “little pill”!

11. Kristina Sanchez

Thank you so much for this post!! I was just given the news yesterday and wasn’t sure what to expect. I have been dealing with thyroid issues for some time now thinking I was dealing with early menopause or it was just all in my head. This article opened my eyes and I now have a little bit of knowledge about what will happen after my thyroid is removed.

I can relate to the “You’re lucky” comment because that is exactly what my doctor said to me.

12. Carolyn Wong Bowen

I had surgery to remove my left thyroid five days ago. Yesterday, I had a post-op with my surgeon and was told that it was malignant. By coincidence, I also had an appt with my endo dr later that day, armed with all the test results from my surgeon, my endo dr recited all the possible treatment that I will be going through. I am so grateful that I came across this website and already feel the support and understanding that I need to face this illness.

13. Doris Cook

I was diagnosed with Papilary Thyroid Cancer in 2010 at the age of 24. I had it removed and was told it was an “easy cancer.” Well that easy cancer has impacted every part of my life for the last 5 years. I am finally have a break from RAI body scans for the next two years. According to my doctor, if my husband and I are looking to expand our family, we should do it now. So now this cancer is affecting when I can expand my family. WTH?! I am currently taking Synthroid and almost every appointment has a dosage change. This is beyond frustrating. When I first moved here, I made an appointment with an oncologist and he basically said that he didn’t want to give me his time because I didn’t have to do treatment like radiation or chemo. At the time, I laughed it off but after thinking about it, it was very insulting.

14. Taryn Bloem

Thank you so much for writing this article. It did make me cry because it completely hits the nail on the head. I have follicular carcinoma (hurthle cell type) and had a TT two weeks ago. I am going in for my RAI treatment tomorrow. I have been told countless times over the past 3 weeks how lucky I am to have this specific cancer, but it doesn’t alleviate the stress of knowing whether or not the RAI treatment I will receive is going to work on the hurthle cells. All I can do is pray and live in the hope that God has His hand on me.
    Thank you for being such an inspiration, and a true champion to the cause.

15. sai

Thank you for this article!this true!yup it is true that everyday is a struggle for us.having no thyroid gland change my life forever!that is why i am grateful for this article and thank you for speaking in behalf of all the cancer patients.You are all in my prayers!Godbless:)

16. John

I am trying to find a Endocrinologist that believes in natural healing Remedies maybe someone out there can recommend one or a site that may help. Below is a little about my journey so far.
    I was diagnosed with Papillary Cancer on Dec. 10 2015, I was told by my Endocrinologist that day its the best one to get! I laughed at him he told me the complete thyroid had to come out now. I was scared so went to see two surgeons both said the same thing had to completely remove the Thyroid may need radiation but not sure till we get in there to see it. Both Surgeon said not a big rush due to being near the holidays I could wait to have surgery. So with that extra time i went to a local Naturalist and started his protocol. Last ultrasound shows Nodule getting smaller. I been working with a local MD that also believes in what I am doing but I would like to speak with a Thyroid specialist that can review what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks John

• V

Hi john, what protocol are you following if you don’t mind sharing? I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer july 2015. I started working with a naturopathic dr but i don’t think he is as experienced as i would have hoped. Im taking hai zao which is an iodine supplement and incorporating frankincense essential oil into my daily routine but that’s it. I was scheduled for a lobectomy surgery this month but postponed it.(Because of the size my surgeon gave me a choice to have lobectomy or thyroidectomy.) The nodule hasn’t grown since it was discovered in 2014. Im 29 and im trying to do anything i can to not have surgery. I haven’t discussed any natural options with my drs because they are so focused on just taking it out, which makes my decision that much harder.

17. Tina

I had my thyroid removed for papillary cancer last year….I wish I never had it removed. I would rather be dead than continue this journey of just lying in bed 24/7 and die slowly. I have 3 young boys.

18. Manda Browning

In February of 2012, during my 14 week prenatal exam, my OB felt an unusual lump in my neck. After a biopsy that left my neck bruised and sore, they told me it was Papillary Thyroid Cancer. This crushed my world. My happy pregnancy was ruined. I was grouped with other patients who had ever had Thyroid Cancer, as well as being told it was extremely rare to have it while pregnant. Rare but common at the same time? I was told it was “the best cancer to have” and that the risk of it spreading before the baby was born was highly unlikely so we need not worry. How wrong they were! Two months after hearing that news, I visited a second doctor who determined with yet another biopsy that the cancer had metastasized to my lymph nodes. Yep, that easy peasy cancer that is super lazy was proving them all wrong. I had to choose, have the surgery at 28 weeks and risk my unborn baby or wait and risk the cancer spreading even more. How do you choose to put your child at risk for you to live? How do you choose to be around for the child who already knows you and possibly lose the one you are carrying? I chose to have the surgery. This meant having hormones injected into my hip three days straight just before my surgery, in hopes it would help the baby’s lungs mature and he would have a chance. My baby is a live and well, with not even a hiccup while I was undergoing my radical neck dissection. While in the hospital, my body started going into calcium shock due to the strain on my parathyroid. I am now hypocalcemic! A week later at my post op appointment the pathology report was back and determined the cancer was stage 4 but because of my age it was dropped down to 2B, the worst stage a woman of my age (26) could be diagnosed with.
    October 2012 I was going in for my radioactive iodine pills, leaving my family and new born baby for a week, preparing to be sick and still trying to keep up with my college courses online. It wasn’t four months later they determined through yet another painful biopsy the cancer was back and spreading like wild fire through the remaining lymph nodes on the ride side of my neck! Easy cancer? I don’t think so! Another painful dissection and no lymph nodes on the right side of my neck, and ANOTHER radioactive iodine treatment leaving my mouth dry and my salivary glads swollen and infected. It will be three years in May since my first surgery, I still struggle with my levels and now my body has decided to stop absorbing nutrients. My white and red blood cell counts are dangerously low and it is as if I do not eat protein at all (I’m big on meats and potatoes so that’s impossible). Will the constant struggle ever go away? Will there be a day where I actually have the vivacious sexual appetite I used to have for my husband? Can I actually have the energy to play with my children at the park and go on hikes through the mountains of Montana without feeling like I’m about to pass out? One day these things may be possible, but for now it is a constant struggle and the thought of someone taking away my fight and my story is heart breaking. We all fight for our lives, hoping for one day to never worry about that nasty word (Cancer) again. When did putting others down for their difference in health problems become acceptable practice? I show the thyroid ribbon proudly every day in the side of my vehicle, and so does my husband.

19. Verna Hebert

Hey , Someone else knows what I’m talking about when I say how I feel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No I’m not lazy !!!! No I’m not just complaining,!!!! No I’m not trying to get attention !!!! No I’m not trying to make a big deal out of nothing !!!! No I can’t just ignore it !!!!!!!! Yes I do have to get up everyday !!!!!!!!

20. Anna

I have Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. I now have a very swollen and painful lymph node on the left side of my neck. I have been taking antibiotics but see no improvement. I will be having an ultrasound in a few weeks. I have been stunned by family and friends who have said that very thing… Of all the cancers to have this is the one? Seriously? I’m staring down the barrel of a possible cancer diagnosis and I contunually hear from people who have never had cancer at all that it’s an “easy cancer” and the prognosis is good. I want to say to them… There are many types. If it spreads to the lymph nodes it’s a different “story”. Would you want to be isolated while taking a radioactive pills that makes you sick as a dog? How do you feel about having your neck slashed open? Don’t downplay it… you may have the best or intentions but you have no clue how terrifying any cancer possibility can be. And just because you know somebody who had it doesn’t mean the cancer is the same type I may have, the treatment will be the same, or the prognosis will be the same. I also have had to deal with friends and family saying they can’t handle it or are too busy to talk about it with me… For me not to worry and just pray. I would NEVER say that to them… EVER! It’s terrifying, hurtful, insensitive, and lacks compassion. Thank YOU for standing up and speaking out! I stand with you whether or not I am diagnosed with cancer… NO cancer is an easy cancer. And the effects change your life forever. As a single 40 year old woman… I am accustom to being independent, employed, and self sufficient. Suddenly, I’m released from my job for excessive sick days (all documented by doctors), not certain if I will have a job or insurance in the next few months or if I will even be able to work. Sure… That’s so easy! Easy for you to say when it’s not you. BRAVO!

21. Gail

my surgeon could not even tell me I had cancer in person, I was told over the phone while I was in hospital- they discovered the cancer when they did the biopsy after removing it. Yes told it was a easy cancer. Slowly killing my health ever since 10 years.

22. Audrey

Thanks for the great information. I have been battling thyroid problems for almost 40 years. I am on thyroid meds my doctors have raised the dosage one month then lowered it the next. I have told my doctor that it feels as if something is in my throat blocking my air way. I stay so tired and have to force myself to get up and clean house.

23. Stephanie

I received a bad batch of compounded NDT in January from Women’s International Pharmacy. Just now connecting the dots among my symptoms. I just took some frozen armour I have on hand for emergencies and I can tell the difference. I hope we are not in for another round of supply problems.

24. myrdies jackson

Im so glad i discovered this blog ! My thyroid cancer was diagnosed in 2007. Surgery and radiation treatments , countless scans , test etc has caused kidney damage as well as so many other health issues. Fast forward to last Friday i had a MRI ,CAT SCAN ,LEFT NECK BIOPSY after my doctor finally became concerned over lab work. I had been telling doc how i felt and the pain and obvious swelling in my neck !! Neoplasm suspected !!, REALLY !! I was not being heard and i didnt fight for my life. Now im angry with myself for saying ok , see ya next visit ! Now im facing ANOTHER neck disection and the cancer has spread to both lungs and the hytoid bone ! I am afraid because this has been an 8 year rollercoaster ride thru hell !! FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE ! I HATE I WAITED SO LONG!!!

• erica

WOW! Myrdies I am so sorry to hear your news. I too was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2007. I am afraid now because I too have been telling the doctors that I feel a swollen lymphnode in my neck. Did I fail to mention that I had several removed when they did my thyroidectomy because I was stage 4? I have NEVER felt healthy since 2007 when I learned I had cancer.This is a chronic uphill battle. NOT for the faint of heart.People who think this is easy can kiss my ass.I’d like to see those people walk a day in any of our shoes.

25. Kerry

I’m a breast cancer survivor (age 31 at diagnosis) with hashimotos. Sorry but thyroid cancer is the easy cancer. Except for in very rare cases, it never kills. I’m sorry you have to deal with poor health as a result but I know many young mothers that will never see their children grow up as a result of dying young that would happily trade places with you.

26. Brenda

13 years ago I was completely unaware I had Papillary Thyroid Cancer, level 3. I thought I had a serious cold. I was working 2 FT jobs using my voice and feeling very tired. I had to be transported to a Emergency department because I could not breathe. My Nuclear Medicine Dr. has kept me free of cancer, but yes I am tired and my voice has changed. I do have a metastasis . A Meningioma that is benign. A neurosurgeon is consulting on that. Does anybody else ache a lot ?

27. brooke

I just read this article while doing some online reading about various symptoms of ALL kinds of thyroid disease. I have had cancer, twice now. It was not thyroid, but after suffering through that, then a broken back, then broken neck, and lastly…cancer again, I understand this outrage. Oftentimes I have said that the absolute worst aspect of being sick or seriously injured several times was the response of the people you cared for most. It has ranged from, “You are so lucky…you could have been paralyzed!” to “You are so lucky you are still here and it isn’t worse.” to the all time worst of, “We’ve never seen you this way…” So so many times I have wanted to say, “Don’t you think it is time to help if you ‘have never seen me this way?!!” I have always been the one to have everything together. I’m a doctor who also did another doctorate specifically focused on cancer research and causes. Because I put myself through school and have led an independent life, it doesn’t occur that I may need help and support. Bravo to you for speaking up and speaking out to Jill, who is apparently unaware of her own disregard and social ineptness. Everything is perception based, and as an attorney she should know that better than anyone. Your perception is your reality, and I am here to say that this IS no walk in the park. To say all those things does not give someone perspective, yet it rather discounts emotions. That is one of the worst things someone can do, especially in such a serious scenario.

28. melissa

Does anyone have a Dr. in NYC they would recommend that is familiar with Armour and Iodine Treatments for the Thyroid? I had surgery in Feb. where I had stage 1 thyroid cancer and would like to treat this naturally.

29. Kelly Underdown

I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in may 2007 At the age of 30. I too was told I was lucky. I don’t consider 2 surgeries and many RAI body scans lucky. I missed my son’s first steps due to my cancer. I used to feel I was not a survivor but after my last surgery to have have my lymph nodes removed. I proudly say that I am…. cancer is cancer no matter what.

30. Deb Tucker

I had thyroid cancer 22 years ago. My entire thyroid was removed and I received radiation therapy afterward. I have tried various brands of thyroid medication. I continue to be exhausted, depressed, over weight, irritable, angry at times. I know there has got to be more than Synthroid for me to improve my quality of life. I am tired of being tired….I’m tired of being over weight. I read that T-3 is converted from T-4; then I read T-4 can not be converted to T-3. I don’t know what to believe. I would appreciate hep from anyone who has experienced how I have felt ….20 years is a long time to be this miserable. Thanks.

31. Michelle

I was told almost verbatim the same thing…that I was lucky to have thyroid cancer—personally, I think mine is from a hormonal imbalance caused by fertility meds! I was cancer free 3 months before going on them. Doctors are soooo quick to want to remove the thyroid instead of just the cancer! I have Hashimotos so I was turned down for the non surgical options. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the same time, so no one even cares about the thyroid having cancer–the oncologist doesn’t even monitor it. It’s all crazy!

32. debb

So good to read this, wish I’d seen it when I was going through treatment. You mention the fact that there is no public support to raise funds or awareness because people mistakenly believe Thyroid Cancer and related issues are almost inconsequential and this is detrimental but not nearly as painful as the almost total lack of compassion and support of those closest to us. But everything they see and hear indicates that Thyroid cancer and treatment are on the scale of falling and scraping your knee. Just typing this brings tears to my eyes and I am 3 years past surgery and radioiodine treatment. I am doing fairly well, no thanks to the established medical community, seeking information and unorthodox treatments on my own (though I would not recommend taking the risks to others). I am still angry that there is so much information out there that is being ignored and so many people suffering both physically and emotionally. Treatment of endocrine disorders today is akin to treating depression and anxiety with lobotomies.

33. Laura Baarson

Hi I just came from a Dr.’s appt. with hopes of walking out with a prescription for NDT. But she refused because when they took out my tennis ball size thyroid they found an encapsulated bit of cancer.. arrrrgh, I want to cry! Why do they feel this way and how do I convince her otherwise. Please.. she’s willing to send me for diagnosis of MS, Fibromyalgia. Chronic Pain and Fatigue Syndromes, but I just want NDT!

34. Lesley Kuck

At 48 years old and losing hair, feeling fatigued, horrible aches and pains that felt like arthritis, I went to an endo and was told I had a nodule. Ultrasound, FSA and further genetic testing (which my insurance wont pay for, as they deemed it “medically necessary”) I have just been told I have cancer and they want to remove my thyroid. I am reeling from this news and of course, the first thing out of everyone’s mouth is “You’re lucky! It’s the ‘good cancer’, you’ll be fine.” I want to scream in the streets ” CANCER is CANCER!” I need an endo willing to explore NDT as the one I saw scoffed at it and said anyone that prescribes it is a quack. I live in Thousand Oaks, CA… Anyone know a good surgeon and endo?

35. Jaron du Preez

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer five years ago but because of the chemotherapy it messed up my thyroid! Was misdiagnosed on countless occasions which was when I discovered the STTM website. After many doctor’s and hospital visits I was eventually diagnosed with Graves Disease (mostly because I insisted that I had graves disease and asked the doctor to draw blood!). I also purchased the two books and it has been crucial in not only my own health but I passed it on to family and friends as well! I studied Elaine Moore’s website and purchased a few books about Graves BUT to be honest up until now I haven’t been able to get it under control (it has a tendency to wax and wane) which makes your life miserable (Graves Eye Disease is very unpleasant!). I am now seriously considering getting a total thyroidectomy (NOT RAI). Are there anybody on this blog/site who had graves disease who had a similar procedure done? Is whole thyroid (NDT) the way to go after this procedure? I note some debate about NDT vs T4/T3 combinations. Both have good arguments. Some proponents of the T4/T3 combination say its easier to control the thyroid hormones? I am a bit at a loss as to what to believe since NDT has other beneficial hormones like T1, T2 and calcitonen but I assume that T3 levels can go to high on NDT because of the 80/20 split? Since I am considering the thyroid removal I would like to get my facts straight as far as possible before I start hormone replacement treatment. To relate to this article. I am sure thyroid cancer is NOT an easy cancer since I had testicular cancer! Any cancer that messes with your hormones makes you feel miserable! Chemo, radiation or RAI’s is NEVER a walk in the park! I have yet to meet a doctor/oncologist that has been on “his own medication/chemo/radiation” and still proclaim its a breeze!

36. Alicia Bailey

Just passed my 18th year. and it has definitely been no walk in the park. I noticed a painful spot on thyroid when first child was 6 mths old. She’d slammed her head back into my neck n the EnT said it was a hematoma n nothing to worry about. A couple months into the second pregnancy @1.5 years later, I had more nodules then the doctor again said its nothing to worry about and canceled the biopsy. 2nd daughter was born with only some persistent vascular issues which show on her leg. A few months later after losing baby weight, I noticed many many more neck nodules so I went back to the ENT who against me that it’s nothing to worry about . when my second child was 10 months old I went to another doctor for another issue, but he immediately took one look at my neck nodules and scheduled me for a biopsy within the week. At first I was told that I had papillary cancer and that it was treatable. In a couple of hours the surgeon returned to tell me that it was made you lyrics I rode can’t hear, and that there was no treatment available and I had possibly 5 to 10 years to live.
    After a total thyroidectomy, my oncologist insisted that I did not need hormone replacement for at least a month. obviously didn’t realize that I had probably had a nearly dead so I reward for at least several years, with Colin how bad of a time I had even with my first pregnancy and barely being able to stay awake for a walk, due to swollen dry cracked feet, pulling my hair out in clumps, strange heat flashes flaring up anywhere and everywhere all over my body, etc. Not until about the 5th time that I had complained about joint pain and fatigue, and hair loss among other things, did the nurse at the oncologist office write in my notes that “…patient insist on 24 hour urine analysis for TSH”. The odd thing is, just before this happens, a stranger drove into my driveway by mistake, took one look at me and asked when I had had my thyroid surgery from noticing my very slight scar, and I told her about issues I was experiencing, and she advised me that I needed to have my thyroid levels checked because I was lacking hormones. The insurance would not cover the test since I had been the one to insist on it, but lo and behold, my TSH came back at around 50. Of course, no apologies from the doctors office or the nurse but I was immediately placed on Synthroid.
    I didn’t went to see an endocrinologist, who I really like because he takes the time to listen and he will put down his computer and he will talk with me off the record of the other issues that I have been experiencing. however, he is in numbers person and believes that if TSH is ” in range ” then I’m fine. My problem with this is that he keeps my TSH around 0. 05 and MTC patients are not supposed to be needing suppression, and such a high synthroid dosage can lead to problems. He always says better safe than sorry. Then after 17 years on a high dose of synthroid, last September my TSH came back at about 20. That was the first time it has gone up in all those years, but I have been complaining to the Center for knowledge is for a very long time that I just didn’t feel right, that I was so tired I could hardly wake up, my hair was falling out my skin was dry, I was having severe depression and anxiety in part due to a five+ ongoing divorce, and on and on.
    After many times trying, I finally took him some excerpts from the STTM book no he sort of chuckled and didn’t pay much attention to it, saying you can’t believe everything you read. Nonetheless, I explained that all these years on the high dose of t4 only was probably causing my problems. Once again I asked if he would please let me try and natural hormones. To my surprise, and probably do more to the high TSH level than anything else, he readily agreed. I asked about the different kinds of natural thyroid replacement but he would only prescribe are more thyroid, saying that there was more information available on it, so, I started Armour Thyroid last October. Unfortunately, I still don’t feel really good. I am better in some respects, as I don’t fall asleep every few minutes during the day, at least not always, and my hair isn’t falling out. But, I think that it is causing me some problems and I have asked him to write me a script so I can go to the lab and have my quarters all 24 hour level tested. he doesn’t see this is necessary, but instead the he would consider doing it.
    I have read the book, Jared in fact, but I would like someone else’s opinion who may have been in the same situation. My issue right now is that I can hardly ever wake up. I have to say about 20 alarms and unless I have been asleep at least 10 hours or so I never hear them. I used to sleep 12 to 15 or more hours but that of course includes getting up several times a night because MTC causes a lot of diarrhea so I wasn’t sleeping very well anyway, I sometimes wake up and the alarms have been going off for more than 2 hours. yet I still have no energy to get out of the bed and do anything. When I do forced myself up, I only feel better after taking my other meds –tincture of opium every 4 hrs for diarrhea (20+x/day and 6+ x/night w/o that), hydromorphone every 4 hrs for the pain from extensive bone mets (head to toe), and xanax am/pm for the severe depression and anxiety. I get a bit more energy as the day goes on, but if I skip these meds I get extremely agitated & spend the day in the bathroom and/or falling asleep. Sometimes I get up, and before I even taken the medicines I get a cup of coffee and 3 hours later find that I had fallen back asleep, yet I’m still exhausted. By the time it gets to be a normal person’s bedtime, I’m usually just feeling like I’ve gotten a second wind and only then do I feel like doing anything… So then I find hard to settle down and even try to go back to sleep. Consequently my days and nights are almost always totally turned around.
    My MTC was tested as being sporadic, and they did not see any adrenal tumors at the time, nor did the scans that I had at John Hopkins in 2009. The only other CT I have had since then was an abdominal CT in 2011 to check liver mets and nothing was mentioned about adrenal issues, but of course they weren’t looking for that. For those of you who have experienced this issue, I was wondering if you thought it sounded like an adrenal problem? I feel like I am totally backwards and that my cortisol levels are totally backwards to where they are higher at night time and lowest in the morning ( or afternoon) whenever I wake up.

As I said in the beginning, it’s certainly been no walk in the park. In addition to living with in trying to manage this good cancer, the reason I had to move out of my home, was that my ex narcissist of a husband could not handle being any kind of care taker, never once expressed caring or concern, and was actually for many years, causing a lot of my pain and problems by adding things to my food & drinks to hasten my demise, and knew that he could always blame it on the cancer. For many years I I was naive, & I tried to deny that anything was really happening in that regard, & I never had any camera in the house, but he did, so I cannot prove this. However, I just had some kind of intuition that told me I should move out when I did, and I now know, in hindsight, that I was a hundred percent correct and I probably would not be here if I had not left. Unfortunately, each of my three rentals in the past 5 years have been accessed while I have been away, and on several occasions when I have returned home and drank the coffee I had left or eaten something in particular, I become violently ill within 10-15 minutes and/or experience severe muscle spasms and shooting nerve pains (various bodily areas) that are debilitating and painful to the point that I am in tears. This is the same kind of severe pain that I was experiencing 24 hours a day before I moved out. Call the oncologist of course thanks just imagining this and he is convinced that I must have had tumors that were pressing on the spine so he sent me for three MRIs a couple weeks ago. I told him that would be wasteful because the was not occurring at that time and the MRI would therefore not show any pinched nerve or muscle spasms causing any nerve pain. MRI was not going to show any nerve involvement if the episode was not happening at the time. As I expected, the report came back indicating No nerve involvement relatedto spinal tumors, with only one area showing a slight flattening of the spinal column and some stenosis along with degenerative disc disease and a few herniated discs. So the only thing I received from those was yet another big fat medical bill.
    And as we all are aware, the financially devastating big fat medical bills – arising out of test after test that provide no conclusive answers and no real solutions– are just one of the lovely issues that we (& most cancer patients) are so “lucky and priviledged” to have to deal with, since we have this “good cancer”, which is such a “walk in the park”!

37. Mary Bode

I have Medullary Carcinoma Thyroid cancer . I am having surgery on Monday to have my thyroid removed and both nodules removed . If anyone could give me advice or anything please help ! I know that this is going to be a long road ahead of me . This is very un expected but I guess cancer always is. I will have battle scars with this but I plan to win the battle ! I know it is going to be hard 🙁 Please give me any advice you can . Scared …………………………………. but strong at the same time.

Mary, sorry you have thyroid cancer. The most important thing to learn after surgery is to fight for Natural Desiccated Thyroid, NOT Synthroid or any other T4-only med. http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101

• lina

Jane, can you please tell me which book is more appropriate for myself and my son? I recently found out i have hashimoto but have been hypothyroid for 30 years and have been on synthroid for 30 years…my son had thyroid cancer and no longer has his thyroid. It’s been almost 2 years since his surgery and He’s still in the process of having his synthroid adjusted..it’s already up to .2 and his tsh is over 5. I dont’ want him to experience all of the side effects i have due to prolonged use of synthroid so i am researching an alternative for him. Which book would you recommend?

38. Christine

I’m looking at having my thyroid removed as I have atleast one hot nodule with hyperthyroid symptoms and horrendenous thyroid pain after iodine supplementation with companion nutrients. I do not believe iodine caused the problem. I believe I have had the nodules for a VERY long time and didn’t know it. When I did iodine a nodule or nodules went hot. Been told by Stephanie Bouist and Dr. Brownsteins book that the only option is to remove the hot nodules. After four months of trying to heal it on my own, I agree! I have alteast four nodules and so many little ones they are too numerous to count. Can’t take the thyroid pain anymore especially when docs don’t want to give out medication. Five doctors can’t figure out why I have pain. Will know RAI scan results Monday and meet with a surgeon Tuesday. The question is…. I have an NIS symporter defect according to Doctor Flechas. I have a history of fibroids and ovarian cysts too, I want to also take Armour once my thyroid is out or atleast transition to it if they don’t initially give it to me. Does anyone know of a resource on how to begin incorporating iodine (along with Flechas protocol to fix NIS Symporter) along with Armour???

Thank you so very much. I’ve been suffering so long…
    Christine

39. Janet

I had a TT 2 months ago. I insisted on getting a referral to a Radiation Oncologist to get their opinion because everyone was spouting the same nonsense, this cancer is “no big deal”, “easy to cure”, it’s “just thyroid cancer”. The Oncologist informed me I have a more aggressive type of cancer that can be resistant to take up the RAI treatment so she is suggesting I get radiation treatments for 6-8 weeks after the RAI. My Endocrinologist is pissed that I even went to talk to an Oncologist. I believe the comment was something like “why would you do that? It’s only thyroid cancer. There’s no need to get an Oncologist involved.” Her plan is for me to take that “one little pill” and poof! All better. I think I’m going to stick with the Oncologist’s plan. As far as others saying I’m lucky because it could be breast cancer or some other “real” cancer, that is ridiculous! Cancer is cancer! No one goes up to a breast cancer patient and says “You’re lucky. It could be a brain tumor or pancreatic cancer.”! No matter what kind of cancer you have there are always others out there that have it worse off than you. It just seems like we’re the only ones having that shoved in our face. Like we don’t have a right to call ourselves cancer patients, or have the same fears/emotions/reactions that others with “real” cancer are encouraged to have. It’s not a competition to see who has the biggest, baddest cancer people. We just don’t want to be pushed to the side and expected to shrug it off like nothing.

40. Linda

I was diagnosed with papillary cancer in 1992 @ 25 years of age. Partial thyroidectomy and synthroid. Also told, best cancer to have. My life has been in shambles ever since. I’m in so much pain from fingers, shoulders, hips, knees and excrutiating feet. I have major depressive disorder, beyond brain fog no longer focus to work, severet hair loss etc. I live in Chicago where I should have access to great care, but nobody is willing to listen or dig deeper. This “easy” cancer continues to ruin my life, my marriage and my children’s lives. They have had a mother for their entire lives who has been in so much pain and with that comes severe moodiness. They should NEVER have been subjected to that. I am certainly not the person I would have been if I was treated properly. Some other cancers deemed more serious have treatments without the life long side effects. Any recommendations for a doctor . Chicagoland? I live on the northwest side. Thanks

41. Esakki

I’m 25 years..I affected thyroid cancer now removed.. Is this possible for marriage..I very worried about my future.

Esakki, not having a thyroid doesn’t effect the ability to get married. 🙂 Hopefully, you are now on desiccated thyroid instead of Synthroid, or even on T3 with T4.

42. Mary

I have had thyroid cancer for at least 16 years. I am on my 3rd recurrence. It is in my lungs and I have to have a PET/CT scan, a brain MRI, and a neck ultrasound to see if any of them have grown or have gone elsewhere in my body. I had a lung biopsy to prove whether the 30+ nodules in my lungs were malignant. They did 2 wedge resections and found that 3 of the 4 were malignant with papillary thyroid cancer. To all of those that say we have the “good” cancer all I say is if it’s that good, then you get it and see. I find them offensive for even saying any cancer is “good”. That and the people saying it are oxymoron’s and need to bury their heads back into the sand where they belong.

• Mary Knight

My son aged 41 was diagnosed with the ” good cancer” or “this is the best cancer to have” in November 2013, I remember the consultant telling us that this is the best cancer to have and that it is contained in the thyroid. This is so untrue. My son had a partial Thyroidectomy at first and then after diagnosis of Hurtle Cell Carcinoma (anyone heard of that?) a full thyroidectomy and RAI treatment. Now in Nivember 2015
      he was diagnosed with secondary lung cancer and possibly liver cancer. What a shock for us all! He has just undergone his second RAI treatment. What happens now? We are awaiting the result of the uptake
      scan. The false idea that this is a good cancer is totally wrong. We are all devastated at his illness and how quickly it has happened.

43. Lois Rodger

I disagree. I have thryroid cancer. My father has lymphoma. I would take thyroid cancer any day of the week.

I’ve had multiple surgeries to remove the cancer (shoulder, neck, collar bone, sternum), but I haven’t had to have chemotherapy. I’ve done radioactive iodine twice. The cancer has spread to my lungs and I’m told I’ll deal with it for the rest of my life. So I think my opinion has to count. Of course it’s terrible, but every cancer is different and has a different effect on people. Thyroid cancer is “better” because the survival rate is very high. Most thyroid cancers are slow growing and easy to eliminate. You can live longer with thyroid cancer than most other cancers. They aren’t trying to minimize what you’re going through – but help you understand you’re going to survive this. You won’t go back to normal, but you’ll still be able to have a decent quality of life.

44. Kathy Smith

I agree about the comments that it’s an easy cancer. For me it wasn’t, at 40 had papillary thyroid cancer, they removed the left side thyroid and the tumor. Two years later another tumor grew in the tissue left so now it’s moved beyond the Thyroid so prognosis is not as promising. A note to the last comment regarding it’s better than other cancers, Thyroid Cancer like many cancers starts there and spreads and other cancers become secondary to it so it’s not necessarily an easy cancer as secondary could be lung cancer, brain cancer, bone cancer and so much more. It needs to be taken seriously as any. Blessings to all.

45. Amy

Hi all, I was diagnosed with hashimoto’s thyroid 10 years ago, at the time they gave me medication to slow my heart rate and kill off the part of the thyroid that was overacting. 6 years ago I was told that my thyroid was completely dead. I have had in the first five years one adjustment on my synthroid then we moved and my thyroid is producing it’s own hormones. After every lab test my Doctor calls me up and asks if I’m the one she thinks has thyroid cancer. Finally after fighting I’m seeing an endocrinologist for the first time in three years tomorrow to find out what they think. I’m terrified it’ll be cancer. I’m already overweight and have trouble losing weight since it died six years ago, I work full time and my husband is out of country. Just really nervous.

• Jamie

I’m so sorry you are struggling with this illness. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

• Adriana

I am so glad you areally not giving up. I am 11 years post cancer, and although things are not perfect, my life is much much better. You have this group for support and knowledge. My diagnosis took over 13 years and many many doctors. Even if you have cancer, you can recover, and most importantly have a normal life expectancy. You have this group which I only just found and already my life is changing for the better! Hang in there, many of us have been in similar shoes and are now living productive, joyful lives.

• Sue

Hope your appointment gives you some answers. Whatever the outcome at least you will know and, from the FB pages, you will get support from all of us. We’ve all gone, or going, through similar if not the same insecurities and problems. Hang in there. Xx

• Amy

Just got a call from the Doctor’s office that the doctor is out of town and won’t be back until the day I go back to work so they delayed this appointment another week. Feeling a bit frustrated.

• Joi

I am so sorry to hear that your appointment was rescheduled. Do you have a way of talking with your husband through the internet? iIf so, this will be a good opportunity to set up a meeting so that your husband can be in on the discussion. <

• Joi

I pray this doesn’t get to you too late. Would you be able to use “face time” or something similar with your husband so he can be “in on” your discussion with your doctor? I pray everything goes well.

46. Joi

Amy, I pray that your appointment today goes well. I do not have hashi’s, however I did have papillary thyroid cancer. I had my thyroid out in 2005. I am also struggling right now. Please Lord be right beside Amy as she see’s her doctor today.

47. Lisa S.

Amy – for one thing, Thyca is rare – have you had a scan showing hot or cold nodules, an US and FNA? If you do join the Thyca “club” – knowledge is power. It is usually treatable and slower growing. I am not trying to minimize your concerns as I was diagnosed in September of 2014 with 2 surgeries and RAI. As far as your weight and metabolism, the key is being optimal on our replacement meds. This is necessary with all hypothyroidism situations. Levo didn’t work out for me. I feel better on NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) with all the hormones – than I did the year leading up to my TT. When we are getting complete replacement, we can function and live life much better as we get optimal. Learning all we can about vitamins and supplements, life style, etc. is important with or without thyroid issues. Sorry about your situation with working a lot and your husband being away. In the FTPO groups we are always glad to help and offer support with thyroid/health questions. Best wishes!

• Amy

Just started the process of ruling out the thyroid cancer today. The endo I saw ordered stat labs, and ultrasound, I go over the results with him next week. He was very upset that my pmd kept informing me I had cancer and did no testing other than referring me to him. He has some concerns that I was misdiagnosed and treated for all of these years and we have started the testing process. After he reviews the Ultrasound and Labs we will go forward with a PET scan or FNA or just removal. Looking hopeful at this time.

• Lisa S.

That’s a step in the right direction, Amy – you deserve and need to know what is going on so you can have peace of mind, or have action taken if you do show signs of Thyca. That’s terrible that you have had that kind of communication with your other Dr., glad you are getting the testing now. Hopefully things will go well for you with your diagnostic labs and ultrasound, etc. Keep us posted.

48. Mary

It’s as if you should feel guilty for being apprehensive, scared and angry for having cancer because others have it worse. My mom and cousin were my best advocates. Others made me feel like I was wimpy. I had a nervous breakdown after the surgery because of the hormonal upheaval., which nobody warns you about. The synthroid dose was very high which caused bad bouts of anxiety. I get totally pissed off because my cancer spread to my lymph nodes, and I had stage 3 papillary. With a high dose of radioactive iodine, I fear a metastasis in the future. Nobody gets it just because I didn’t have a cancer that killed me. The insensitivity of some loved ones was terrible. My aunt who was undergoing chemotherapy at the time, was very kind. Another Aunt, who smokes like a chimney and is blessed with good health, told me it was nothing. You can tell who isn’t worth your time after going through this.