Psoriasis, rosacea and hypothyroidism–did you know there’s a connection?

rednoseA thyroid patient and mother of two just informed me that her daughter’s psoriasis on her body completely went away thanks to being on desiccated thyroid, and all that’s left is some on her head. And, her son’s psoriasis completely went away thanks to desiccated thyroid.

Connection? Pretty obvious, isn’t it.

Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin disease that appears on the skin chronically due to an immune system going awry. It results in red scaly patches with a white dead-cell buildup. You can often see it hand-in-hand with Hashimotos. And Rosacea is another skin problem, though not autoimmune, that causes a redness of the skin, including the cheeks and nose, or the forehead and chin.

I personally had rosacea on my nose for years—my romantic “clown nose”.  But just like the mother’s son and daughter with psoriasis, my rosacea eventually went away, as well, after I had started on desiccated thyroid and raised it high enough to remove my hypo symptoms.

Chronic skin disease is just another reason to be adequately treated with desiccated thyroid.

*Below, you’ll find a post about T4 and depression–a very common connection with poorly treated or undiagnosed hypothyroidism, as well. Under that is information on how to do desiccated thyroid sublingually. And on June 2nd, comments continue to come in about the newly formulated Armour.

*Prefer having all this website in book form with more info? Many do, and you can decide by going here.

16 Responses to “Psoriasis, rosacea and hypothyroidism–did you know there’s a connection?”

1. Rob

Some good information, and I honestly knew little about what Psoriasis was, prior to reading this. Thanks for sharing.

2. ibeji

Dear Janie,

you frequently name desiccated thyroid from animal origin (or “Armour” for short as a generic name for all different brands thereof) as “the” solution to all your problems.

This may cause other people to have (too) high expectations which might get frustrated later on, possibly causing them to discredit Armour as snake oil afterwards.

In order to prevent this, this word of caution.

I also have to report that my psoriasis became apparent four years before my thyroid problems became clinically apparent in 1996 (but in hindsight I now recognize the symptoms of mild hypothyroidism which I had long before that).

Despite having been on Armour for about two years now, my psoriasis only became somewhat better when I reached a daily dosis of almost 11 mg of Prednisolone (where 7.5 mg is usually regarded as the Cushing threshold for males).

Nevertheless it is slowly progressing, in that the number of spots of the skin which are affected is increasing.

So Armour may not be the miracle drug to cure all ailments as it may sometimes seem, on your web site.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am not criticizing you or your website, which is excellent and abundant with useful information, I just would like to prevent the frustration of disappointed high hopes of other people reading here.

Cheers and keep up the great work!
    ibeji

(from Janie: Hi ibeji. It’s more accurate to state that I claim desiccated thyroid to be a great solution for most all “thyroid” related problems as compared to T4, based on the testimony of patients worldwide, which is ultimately what STTM is about–patient experience. And apparently for some, even some skin problems are connected. And like your experience, treating one’s adrenal issues can be key for many to experience the positive effects that dess. thyroid can give.

So the question that your experience raises with continuing psoriasis is whether it’s connected to your hypothyroid state or not, whether you have other issues that need correction (which I see so often), or whether autoimmune issues can be tougher to treat. Perhaps others can chime in.

But you are right. Nothing is all-encompassing. Because on the other hand, dess. thyroid did not cure my mitral valve prolapse, nor did it stop me from having a recurrence of a benign salivary tumor. It also hasn’t stopped me from gaining a few pounds because of my love of chocolate. (groan)

But it has definitely improved my health ten-fold in order to deal with those non-thyroid issues. And it does seem to halt a myriad of thyroid-related issues, especially if it’s raised just high enough to do so without being too high, if adrenals are strong or treated adequately if not, if electrolytes are optimal, if B12 is optimal, if ferritin is optimal, etc. We are still learning. )

3. very sick me

That’s interesting, I wouldn’t have thought that rosacea and psoriasis had much in common. I wonder if there are other redness-causing skin conditions that could be grouped together for alternative treatments? I’m sure there’s no shortage of diseases with similar manifest symptoms, at least visually….

4. Jeannie

I am an Esthetician. I have to tell my clients with Rosacae that there is no known cause and no real cure. I happen to have Rosacae and have had no flares in 3 years. I wondered why because Rosacae gets worse usually, not better. My natural health advisor put me on Eco Thyro 3 years ago! Now I can make the connection! Thank you for your information.

5. mette

Thank you (again) for your wonderful work. I appreciate it so much, it’s really admirable what you do :)

I’ve taken t4 since 95 and Armour a couple of years, then got much better after I found this site a few months back and started taking it sublingually.

I have rosacea too, had it for 7 or so years, and would not be sad to see it go! (Not taking the antibiotics the skin doctors recommend!)
    I’ve had vitiligo for much longer though, and I think this is rather usual too?

For me at least, it seems there’s been a progression of symptoms over the years, I’m sure most of us have similar stories.
    Hopefully they disappear as suddenly one by one too :)

6. Lisa

I have read in “Foundations for Healing” writen by Dr. Richard Becker,.D.O. (Bioinnivations.com) That taking steriods and antibiotics I.E for treatment of rosacea, and psoriasis causes dysbiosis (imbalance of bowel flora) which in turn causes your symptoms to persist. So you end up with a suppression from the meds but also a persistance of the symptoms. A probiotic my help. But, Do some research for yourselves. I am going to try Armour for my psoriasis. I wont take antibiotics or use steriods. I hope this is somewhat helpful in pointing you in a different direction for an answer.

7. Cathy

I have just been diagnose as hypothyroid and began my course of Amour yesterday. I’ve felt horrible for years — weight gain, low base temp, depression, constipation, dry skin, tired ALL the time, yet my regular MD told me I was fine. I finally have found a MD that wants to help. What I didn’t add to my list was Rosacea, which has gotten profoundly worse (and painful) over the past year and a half. I had no idea that there might be a connection between my Rosacea and hypothroidism! Your site has been so helpful! Thank you!

8. Kim

Thanks very much for this post (and your site). I’ve been complaining for 7 years to my internist about many of the symptoms on your site but mostly about extreme fatigue. The problem is that I’ve been obese since I was about 11 and my MD’s answer is always “lose weight.” I lost 70 pounds and was MORE tired than when I was heavier. She said that my thyroid tests were within normal range and that I should just “live with” being tired.

Now for the past three years, I’ve had problems with rosacea, even though its supposed to be uncommon in African-Americans (I’m not fair skinned) and in the past year have had inflammation on my lower back and across my chest.

Hoping one of the doctors on your site will take my health insurance. Today, I’ve been shaky and fatigued all day. I definitely need to find a new MD who will take this seriously before I lose my job (or my mind).

9. P. Krishnan

Hello all,

Could someone tell me if dessicated thyroid is available in India? What is the brand name in India? If not available, can I order this online? (from Janie: so far, we are not aware of an East Indian brand. I’d ask your doctor. Otherwise, you can google “thyroid-S” from Thailand and may be able to get that. Hopefully you’ll find a knowledgeable doctor there to work with.)

10. lynn

P. Krishnan

It is available in India yes but you need a doctors prescription to order it http://www.internationalpharmacy.com/en/restrictions

11. Kayla

Has anyone had any success in treating Keratosis Pilaris (a very common skin condition characterized by bumps and redness most notably along the limbs) with dessicated thyroid? I am also wondering if cortisol supplementation (for adrenal fatigue) would alleviate the problem.. If anyone has any information to share with me on this, please contact me! I have severe KP down my arms and legs, as well as rosacea.

12. David

Many years ago I was diagnosed w/ acner rosacea. The doctor gave me metrogel. Sure it worked for the moment, but was not lasting. It may have even caused a rebound. I believe it even further created a candida imbalance I was already fighting.

Long story short I believe there is a connection between acne rosacea and candida. In fact I believe that AR may be an active manifestation of candida.

Eventually I learned about caprylic acid for candida, and each time I have a recurrence, the caprylic acid calms the candida and acne.

I’m still looking for the right balance, and that may be in my diet as I am largely avoiding gluten.

Another fight against candida and AR, and many other things may be in enzymes–digestive as well as systemic. Enzymes are something my allergist suggested I look intoabout 15 years ago, although I finally just started doing the research.

I don’t have hypothyroidism (as far as I know anyway), but my wife has hasimoto’s disease, and got the same run-around from the doctors (and the doctor’s consultation with the endocrinologist) as many others in this forum.

I could give an account of my wife’s dealings, but maybe another day. Right now, although far from a cure, she has seen positive results from following the well thought out research reported through STTM, the 1st edition (makes me want to get the 2nd edition soon), and plans to follow through.

On her own she has also started on enzymes, both digestive and systemic.

Enzymes may be very helpful to my condiion as well, and I have also started taking them.

13. Lisa

Myself and my two kids all have keratosis pilaris. This is one of the symptoms I have used to determine that we were hypothyroid – as most, if not all skin problems are due to low thyroid. We are all on dessicated thyroid and it has helped immensely. The k.p. is still not gone all the way in any of us, but we are still working on getting the ideal amount of thyroid and also adrenal replacement. My goal is to erase this skin condition with properly absorbed thyroid. I’m sure you can be helped by thyroid and adrenals, too!

• Lisa

After 26 years of being hypothyroid and taking synthroid which did not alleviate any of my symptoms, I just switched to Armour and in 3 months my keratosis pilaris, psoriasis, and adult acne disappeared, along with fatigue, weight gain, and mood swings. I am finally feeling great! Hindsight being 20/20, I would say I was given too little synthroid and now my holistic dr has me on the equivalent of double the synthroid dosage (2 grains). He has me with a TSH below .4 and this is the first dr out if a dozen to do this. He also has me on a sustained release T3 compound, since my T3 was still low. I am 45 yrs old and I’ve been suffering since I was 19 with not being treated with proper dose/medication. Armour is my hero!

• Janie

Congrats! And FYI: you really didn’t need to add sustained released T3. You just needed to raise the Armour. :) And we’ve found out repeatedly there is really no “equivalent dose” of NDT to T4. It’s comparing apples to oranges and too individual, as well. We just raise NDT as needed until we feel great again. :)

14. Amy

I have asked my GP repeatedly about my thyroid. I have suffered with psoriasis since I was 12 (am almost 40) and do also have rosacea. The last time my thyroid was check it was because we were trying to conceive, it was 3.65 at that time which my doc deemed “normal”. I have a lot of symptoms of hyperthyroidism but cant seem to get any support to that. Can anyone suggest some other tests or should I continue to look for a new doctor (hard to find in Alberta).

Thanks! Amy